Tavara Rush-In

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on January 16th, 2010, 9:02 pm
I have an opponent, which uses a nasty tactic.

In the last time he managed to built two tavara class ships very quickly. As soon as he has them he is attacking. I tried different strategies, but he is always at my spot before I have enough units to defeat him.

Do you have any ideas how to counter his attack?

Thanks a lot!
posted on January 16th, 2010, 9:12 pm
What faction are you, what avatar, are their any special restrictions on the game etc? The earliest you can get Tavara class ships in the game is, I believe, in 15 minutes...
posted on January 16th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Actually, play on Free mode, and unlimited to resources, but the global build time to zero, and you can have one in literally under a minute :)
posted on January 17th, 2010, 12:34 pm
Doesn't matter which faction I chose, the only thing that matters is that I can beat him. xD

I thought about taking the Klingons and building a lot of Bird of Preys.
posted on January 17th, 2010, 12:47 pm
Under standard-circumstances (normal starting resources, default techtree) you have to build all yards and research stations to make a Tavara buildable, so I guess your opponent gets enough time to get enough resources to actually do this. Even without expansions except the starting resource moons he could do this if you just wait until it happens.

Did you scout the area? Did you build smaller ships to attack expansions? Did you even try to destroy a yard or something?

Tavaras are no rushing units anyway, since they're late-game technology and also very limited available.
posted on January 17th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Our options are set to "resources double" and "ship build time 0,7".
posted on January 17th, 2010, 12:55 pm
Hmm, that shouldn't make a massive difference. Play with him again, time him until he gets a Tavara, and don't resist to his attacks, until he has a Tavara.
posted on January 17th, 2010, 2:07 pm
Wing wrote:Doesn't matter which faction I chose, the only thing that matters is that I can beat him. xD

Lol :).  If we don't know what you were playing and how you were playing it, then how can we suggest a fix? 

I think that maybe if this was the AI then we can ask Optec to put the Tavara farther back in the AI build order.

If it was a human then maybe you should attack him as soon as possible!  Especially if you are Klingons because ooooh boy Klingons can get some nasty ships out quickly :D.  Send those b'rels after his miners and his expansion and stuff and he'll never get that first Tavara out, I promise!  :D

EDIT:  Saw the "Resources Double and Ship Build Time 0.7" post.

If those are your options then I suggest playing as Martok for Klingons (because Susa will OWN the the Tavara :D.  Feds I suggest using lots of Intrepids and setting them to fire all their tricobalt torpedoes RIGHT when he cloaks so that it does a lot of system damage.  Dominon ... I really don't have an option besides just ramming the thing until it loses a couple of subsystems.  Borg ... well Borg should just be able to eat up Tavaras anyway :hungry:.

Hope that helps!  Keep in mind that as of right now the Klingons don't have any cloak detect :(.  It's a bug that will be fixed but is definitely something to remember.
posted on January 17th, 2010, 3:56 pm
That advice would work pretty well.

Dominion S-2's paired with some Seige Cruisers with their pink artillery beams of doom can manhandle the Tavara very fast as well.

You can even quick tech to Negh'vars with the Klingons, upgrade their ships to the Weapon Overload, and as soon as that Tavara decloaks, fire the Overload and 4 ships is sufficient to destroy the Tavara in an instant. Building a few Vor'cha with Polaron Torpedoes can also prevent that Negh'var from every re-cloaking.

Hope that helps!  Keep in mind that as of right now the Klingons don't have any cloak detect Sad.  It's a bug that will be fixed but is definitely something to remember.

They still have the stationary cloak detect, remember - though of course that doesn't work on the Tavara  :whistling:
posted on January 17th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Play Borg and you will own all.  If you do it right, you can get a cube within a few minutes.  5-6 minutes if my timing is correct.....or maybe it just seems to pass quickly for me because I am a turtler at heart! :-p  Or, in just a few minutes, under the Assimilation icon, you can get 4-5 Assimilators in that time and just take the Tavara from him! :)
posted on January 17th, 2010, 5:25 pm
holy crud mates the AI does that too.  not even 15 minuts into the game.  20 and there were two :o

Attachments

FOScreenShot_100116_221805.png