Risner Strategy Guide

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.

Question: Do you want me to make a Risner Strategy Guide?

Total votes: 36
yes30 votes (83%)
no2 votes (6%)
don't care4 votes (11%)
posted on May 12th, 2009, 2:34 am
Mind you, it won't have any pictures, as I'm limited to Wordpad. :sweatdrop: I will make it if enough people vote yes, though :whistling: .
posted on May 12th, 2009, 3:30 am
Well, if you've got some super secret strategy for using Avalon's and Phalanx's effectively, I think we're all ears. :D  While the AoE is nice for a bunch of close, packed in destroyers and maybe cruisers, it takes a Phalanx thrice as long to take down a Battleship as it does for a Soveriegn, meaning it has a very limited role for such a costly ship.  A full fleet of Avalons lets you release over 1k dilithium worth of ships that fly to where you want the first time, then spin in circles where they kind of do their own thing.  I've only seen their firepower impressive on enemy ships foolish enough to fly right into the middle of the swarm, which few human players would do.  You can see an obvious gearing toward stations and fixed targets, but again, most of the fighters will circle too widely and get out of range, and then they just hang out there, not helping you out at all.  I can just buy ships with those same resources that will do a better job, as I can control them.

The best use I've found with Risner is a combination of offensive Akiras, high special energy Remores, and a few canaverals for support.  This makes her extremely deadly in her middle game, and juicy targets like stations and battleships don't live long when a third of your fleet can knock out their shields.  She's a late-game avatar, so I'm not worried if her early game isn't amazing, that's what my teamates are for.  And late game, Sovereigns and Defiants still make pretty nice ships.

I think what they're looking to do is make the Phalanx mixed in with your Soveriegn fleet, when that's all you start spamming.  Maybe 1 Phalanx for every 2 Sovereigns.  This would give you a good mix against battle ships and destroyers, being able to take out destroyers quicker, while still having the firepower to handle the bigger ships.

Optec said that the patch changes would favor some of the gamplay elements from these ships, and maybe they've found a way to make fighters more effective, who knows.  But if you have an effective multiplayer strategy for how to use these ships, I'm more than willing to read it.  They're still kind of a mystery. :blush:
posted on May 12th, 2009, 5:14 am
Download Open Office if you are looking for something to write documents in. oh btw i would like to see any ideas you have to make risner work
posted on May 12th, 2009, 9:51 am
I'd definately read and comment. I love the idea of a late game avatar however i have to admit i do struggle with Rinser to the point where i think shes broken.

Of course it could be i'm expecting too similar a gameplay to Mayson and theres some radical game play elements i'm missing with the Phalanx and Avalon.

(on a more personal note i'm all for getting rid of the Avalon if they can't find a way to make the fighters follow the actual ship, as it stands their current UI for the Fighters makes them unusable compared to other RTS Mods and Games)

Good luck  :thumbsup:
posted on May 12th, 2009, 7:45 pm
Risner Strategy guide:

1.) Switch the AI mode to EASY.

2.)Click some buttons.

3.)Shoot some randomly ugly dudes.

4.)???

5.)PROFIT!
posted on May 12th, 2009, 9:08 pm
Okay, It'll take me around 3 days to dissect my *evil* strategy and around 4 days to write it. I'll then have to take screenies of every vessel with GUI, and then crop. Basically, you're looking at around 2 weeks work, with finals coming up and all. :sweatdrop:
posted on May 13th, 2009, 1:22 am
Any particular reason why you can't give us the gory (quick) details on what your overall strategy is now? I'd like to be able to test it, and 2 weeks is getting awfully close to the release of 3.0.6... (might actually be released before then  :sweatdrop:) . Very curious to see how you use Avalons and Phalanxs effectively.

Don't mean to sound irritating of course.
posted on May 13th, 2009, 1:43 am
Ill tell you how to use Avalons.  Get two or three and spam fighters until your commuter freezes!!!  They are borg killers, because those multitargeting weapons cant hit all them at once, and they do plenty of damage for their price.
posted on May 13th, 2009, 1:49 am
You are joking, right? Right!??!

Avalons launch 3 fighters a piece... and have a cooldown... and a long build time... and are high tier... and their fighters cost a decent amount... and I'm out of ideas.  :shifty:
posted on May 13th, 2009, 2:14 am
...and are slow...and cost as much as a defiant...and their fighters have a small range...and they run around in circles like they're practicing a chinese firedrill.  I'm out of ideas too. :schmoll:
posted on May 13th, 2009, 2:15 am
Last edited by Anonymous on May 13th, 2009, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yes, but while you are micromanaging your fleet, every once and a while launch a fiew, and very soon you have a thick defense grid of fighters. I have beat the AI hard Borg by doing this right outside their base.
posted on May 13th, 2009, 2:23 am
Well, you can beat a single Hard AI with 2 rubber bands and a lollypop.  They have a predictable targeting path that makes them attack the weakest ship in their weapon range.  But I just haven't seen fighter carriers used effectively in multiplayer, where a human opponent will just move away from that area, or use aoe to kill all the fighters at once.
posted on May 13th, 2009, 3:20 am
probably not...this is why a guide needs to be made. :thumbsup: