Klingon Vs Intrepid

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on February 3rd, 2011, 10:57 pm
What's the best Klingon vessel to use against the Intrepid Class?

ADAI means it takes 25% increased damage from Support ships, but the only Klingon Support ship I know of is the Qaw'Duj, which is also medium-range so it also takes 30% reduced damage from it.

Despite the 5% damage reduction it should get from a Qaw'Duj, is that still the best ship or would something else do a better job?
posted on February 3rd, 2011, 11:05 pm
well the intrep does seriously reduced damage to the qawduj, so even with the intrep taking 5% less damage, its still doing good damage. the torp will only miss 20% of the time.

i would use the qawduj to tank the damage. they are support ships so i dont recommend them as a spam, tri might run out too.

there are 3 things i see to do in this case, in increasing difficulty:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Use qawduj with vorcha, granted the vorcha do reduced damage, but at least auto targeting will mean that the intreps will waste loads of fire on the qawdujs also vorcha tank intreps back, so for a while neither side will get many kills, during this time harassing is your main weapon, keep a scout following their uncloaked fleet to make sure you are ready to repel the fast intrep harassers. its not the best dps wise, but at least you can research polaron field and polaron torp to get the kills.
[*]Use qawduj with sangs, the qawduj always try to be in very close, so the short range intreps will waste their fire. the sangs will stay at long range and kite if necessary. only 20% miss rate.
[*]Use qawduj with kvorts. problem is that kvorts are short range and will be auto targeted by the intreps, when you want the intreps to waste fire on the qawdujs. getting the intreps to go after the qawdujs would be hard, maybe decloak the qawdujs first in the midst of the intreps. then the kvorts.
[/list]
posted on February 4th, 2011, 12:02 am
Mix of kvorts and kbq is best imo, despite the ADAI, kbq still suck a lot of damage (and the torpedo does miss).

Vorcha spam does ok but it becomes an issue of micro to get the kills.
posted on February 4th, 2011, 12:19 am
I agree with Clint.

In the early game a mix of KBQ/Kvorts will benefit from torpedo missrate and also allow the Kvorts to do the damage while KBQ and their range get last hits on fleeing Intrepids.

When you can manage to get a battle yard Sangs in number actually do remarkably well against Intrepids.  KBQ and Sangs together make a great team.

Qaw'Duj are really a little 'meh' until you can get Polaron field because they won't tank while Imp. Stance is activated.  They will also be SO outnumbered by Intrepids that the only real shining moment will be if you're building them from the Kahless and Vorcha from the Battle yard.  That's a good mid-game strat right there :).
posted on February 4th, 2011, 1:23 am
Also the special on the KBQ is handy for sniping them before they can escape. And KBQs getting kills is good, because you get closer and closer to the almighty vet KBQ :)
posted on February 4th, 2011, 5:18 am
Really your best bet is sangs or kvorts, I find that they both do really well especially with lots of sangs
posted on February 4th, 2011, 6:23 am
chargh could do well
posted on February 4th, 2011, 6:32 am
Bortas, with the cloak. :thumbsup:
posted on February 4th, 2011, 6:54 am
An early Qaw'Duj works well against Intrepids, but when I say that I mean ONE Qaw'Duj from the Kahless station.  It may not get a damage bonus or tank against Intrepids, but it basically will never die unless the enemy has other ships as well.  Throw its weight around while you gather your forces.

-Kvort/Kbeaj works quite well; Kvorts provide damage, Kbeaj provide tank and sniping.

-Vorcha rush is also acceptable, because the biggest danger in a rush is having your first big ship outnumbered and sniped.  Even if you have trouble getting kills, the ablative armor will let you play aggressively with your first ship while you build up to a... dare I say it?  A Kling-Roll.

-With sangs and chargs it's interesting, because they have the exact same defense as Qaw'Duj.  Just make sure the right ships are taking fire when battle starts.

Beating intrepids as Klingons can be a challenge, but there isn't one specific build you MUST do to win.
posted on February 7th, 2011, 8:08 am
ray320 wrote:chargh could do well

Yeah if you're Taq'roja and manage a battle yard a mix of KBQ/Chargh is actually REALLY useful because the KBQ will tank and it's a only a cheap research away to get tractor beam.  Watch your enemy squeal in dismay when you tractor their stupid intrepids before they can repair :D.
posted on February 7th, 2011, 9:07 am
Yeah, some weeks ago I combined an early Qaw'Duj strat with Charghs and could get really good kills against Elim who played Feds with Intrepids. So, QawDui, KBQ and Chargh together work nicely, especially with tractor beam, of course that costs a lot of money.
Sadly, we've been in a 2v2 and just when I would have been able to get Elims large yard and everything Sutee came along with a group of Disruptor Rhienns...