How to: Romulan vs Hard or Merciless AI

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on January 22nd, 2010, 7:28 am
Last edited by Jamess14 on January 22nd, 2010, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
As Romulan I found that defeating a hard Fed AI involves using Mijural and rushing to two Tavara's as soon as possible, than turtling to build up forces. Turtling part involved me building multiple starbases halfway between me and them.

Is this how it works against hard and merciless AI? Anyone have any input?
posted on January 22nd, 2010, 7:34 am
I've beaten Merciless Federation and Klingon, but am yet to beat Borg and Dominion using this tactic.

The Borg tended to have Spheres and Assimilators by the time I got 2 Tavara's and the Dominion had hundreds of bugs, which consistently rammed the Tavara.

:thumbsup:
posted on January 22nd, 2010, 8:54 am
So don't tech to Tavaras :thumbsup:

if you wanna go ships then get a couple Norexans and a couple big D's before the Tavaras.

If Helev then mass Leahvals before you make Generix and then Warbirds.
posted on January 23rd, 2010, 5:57 am
The best way I've found as romies against the AI is to just spam generix support.  You'll eventually produce from 2 yards, and once you get the shield recharge ability, you're golden.  Decent damage due to the +3 bonus, and any extra dps you need comes from the mines as the ships chase you.  Then recharging any ship that takes damage makes a fleet of 16 or so invincible.  I play on Openfields, so only 2 moon pairs.  Your expansion can get attacked while you're attacking, and it's slow getting back there to defend it, but if you're paying attention, this fleet is basically invincible against the AI.
posted on January 23rd, 2010, 2:58 pm
I found that the best way is to start defensive. Get at least 2 or 3 moon pairs at full mining rate. And for the moment be defending those. Then once you get Warbirds coming out of the yard, then you automatically switch.

When against Klingons, the majority of your fleet should be Frigate Genirex class vessels. This would be a good counter for the large quantity of pulse weaponry. Then you'd have Norexeans purposefully used to take down those Negh'Vars and maybe some of those Vorchas.

When against Federation, then you should pull out the Dreadnought Genirex classes. There you'll have them easily countering cruisers and destroyers. You'd have D'Deridex class Warbirds basically trying to take out any Galaxy, Nebula, or Remoore Class vessels. You'd have your Norexeans take on any Sovereigns or Phalanx classes. And then usualy your Ereis or Chelaer would take care of the Avalons, Excel IIs, and Ambassador classes.

I have no real strategy against the dominion. :( Sorry. And I have not tried against borg with the Rommies either.
posted on January 23rd, 2010, 3:14 pm
Isn't using norexan against capital ships kinda defeating the purpose behind them since their mostly pulse based? D's are maybe a little better suited tho you'll have to make due with what you have, since rommies atm don't really have end game ship. Tavara's good, but one(for me atleast) or two don't really amount to much since they last long but versus large fleets, kill slow.
posted on January 23rd, 2010, 5:19 pm
Jamess14 wrote:Isn't using norexan against capital ships kinda defeating the purpose behind them since their mostly pulse based?

Correct.  :thumbsup:

The Norexans being pulse-based and with tactical weapon arrays mean that they are excellent against destroyers and some cruisers and especially excellent vs. long range ships.