Dominion strat vs Leavhal spam (B8s dont count)

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
1, 2
posted on November 22nd, 2010, 8:03 pm
Is there any working strategy vs a Leavhal spammer as Dominion? Usually I tried Bombers out of 2 yards. However the Bombers are sniped very easily and cannot run/fire while on retreat. In addition the damage bonus vs the Leavhals is almost evened out by the missrate of the torp. All I can do is sit in the middle at a proxy yard and keep building Bombers till I reach the crit mass were I can instant kill Leavhals...

PS: I dont want to use B8s since I consider them OP against Romulans right now.
posted on November 22nd, 2010, 8:09 pm
The damage bonus is not even closely leveled out: the Bomber versus Leahval is one of the more powerful counters in Fleet Ops :)

However, if you are adept, or your opponent is weaker, you can also go with one of the two T-15 starting strategies  ^-^
posted on November 22nd, 2010, 10:43 pm
Breen Cruisers. I swear by them vs Romulans (in particular Leavahls)
posted on November 22nd, 2010, 10:49 pm
When in doubt, Breen Cruiser spam. :thumbsup:

If you're TUN, that is. :D
posted on November 23rd, 2010, 1:23 am
Hahah yep I'll agree with Mal and TUN :lol:.

Bombers are a bit of an easier counter in my opinion.  They still hit 80% of the time, are super cheap, and double as fantastic base-tramplers.  You'll almost ALWAYS be able to out-produce Leahvals as well so you shouldn't HAVE to retreat too much :).

Breen Cruisers are often neglected nowadays in place of B-8's and Bombers, but they still do great and can cloak!  :woot:  People like to get down on them because they're no longer the crazy all-around-awesome units they used to be.
posted on November 23rd, 2010, 3:08 am
Yeah ever since the limited firing arc the Breen Cruisers have become a lot harder to use and I think it's turned many away from them. Regardless of the firing arc they are just as good as before, sans the ability to fire while running away. They seem to suffer most vs the Klingons though and pure B'rel spam can ruin them easily... but B'rels seem to ruin all Dominion units except T15's. Dominion can also make short work of breen cruisers with S2's. I only really use Breen cruisers vs Roms and Borg and sometimes agains Feds (they are good anti warp in ships especially when the Galaxyies role in  :shifty:).
posted on November 23rd, 2010, 5:26 am
Against the AI (sorry that is all I play  Crappy internet)  the mix of the Breen crusier and the  Dominion bombers against Romulans  Klingons has worked  well for me  .  Breen cruiser with their higher rate of fire  helps squash  attacks . However I tend to mix  other ships in to the attacking fleet as well .Like the Av-8 as well to capture opponent ships.
posted on November 23rd, 2010, 8:06 am
Dont get me wrong but I am speaking about really agressive Rom players. So they keep attacking Exp at different locations eating your frighters constantly. Neither Bombers nor Breen can be there as quick as required...so outproducing is no real option imo. And I also realized that early leavhals snipe bombers almost on instant and cloaking out then. Unless you can reach crit mass its extremly hard to take out Leavhals (autorepair and lvl 3 ability). I need to test out Breen Curisers...since Leavhals are medium and not sr as I always think... they might be a good mixin.
posted on November 23rd, 2010, 8:20 am
Well if that's a problem for you Drrrr the keep in mind that Breen Cruisers can be sitting at a vulnerable position cloaked and ready to fight :badgrin:
posted on November 23rd, 2010, 2:10 pm
leahval is short ranged.

If they want to hang around your exp, then go harass against them in return. as u have outproduced them and have more ships, they wont be able to repel you easily. By aggressive in return.
posted on November 25th, 2010, 2:42 pm
Drrrrrr wrote:Neither Bombers nor Breen can be there as quick as required...so outproducing is no real option imo.

Sigh... First of all, you are Dominion. It is your job to outproduce. You should have 3 bombers by the time he has 1 Lahval (maybe more). Second, How long does it take to kill a miner? Why don't you keep your bombers at your expansion? And why cant you get there in time!? Bombers have a 120 speed... Another think you could do is spam S2s and probably do just fine lol.

Drrrrrr wrote:Dont get me wrong but I am speaking about really agressive Rom players. So they keep attacking Exp at different locations eating your frighters constantly.

Ever heard of turrets? :D And you might be expanding way to fast in order to keep up ship production.

Drrrrrr wrote:And I also realized that early leavhals snipe bombers almost on instant and cloaking out then. Unless you can reach crit mass its extremly hard to take out Leavhals (autorepair and lvl 3 ability). I need to test out Breen Curisers...since Leavhals are medium and not sr as I always think... they might be a good mixin.

Dude, it is clear to me that you are not focusing on spamming bombers but on expanding to everywhere possible. If you don't even have enough bombers to defend against its counter, then you are doing something very wrong.
posted on November 25th, 2010, 3:49 pm
You should have 3 Small shipyards. 2 Pumping out bombers, and the other pumping out a divided fleet of Bugs and Breen Cruisers. In order to keep production at peak, you'll need 3 moon pairs, 2 for regular mining at peak efficiency, and then 1 solely for ketracel mining with 2 freighters per moon. But do all of that, and you can teach those Leah'val spammers the hard way. Here is a bit of some info to back up.

A-22 Bombers:
Advantages:
- Good Torpedoes
- Cheaper, and can out-produce the Leah'val
- Special weapon if researched can easily make significant damage at the beginning of engagement

Disadvantages:
- Low Defense Value, making them highly vulnerable if Frigates back up the Leah'vals
- Limited Firing arc, making a retreating fire impossible
- Recieves increased damage from short range, keeping your distance is a good idea.

A-20 Attack Ships (aka Bugs):
Advantages:
- Medium Range, meaning no damage bonus from the Leah'val
- Ramming Ability will easily prevent the Leah'vals from gunning down your retreating units. Higher ranked ones deal more ramming damage.
- Cheap, quick to produce

Disadvantages:
- Low Defense Value, making them vulnerable to Frigates if backing up the Leah'vals

Breen Cruiser:
Advantages:
- Cloaking ability when researched can hide your numbers, sometimes making a great surprise if a huge number are cloaked waiting to attack.
- Deals increased damage to lower units.
- Long Range nature means Leah'vals recieve additional damage
- Firing arc not limited

Disadvantages:
- Receives damage bonus from Leah'vals because of long range nature
- Torpedoes have a somewhat higher miss rate than usual
- Has nearly equal dilithium cost, and higher supply cost, also slower to produce
posted on November 25th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Boggz wrote:People like to get down on them because they're no longer the crazy all-around-awesome units they used to be.

This isn't the reason I dislike the way they are now, and I don't think it's the reason others dislike them either. It's that they are so specialized that they can't stand up to anything that isn't on the "countered by Breen Cruiser" list (which just says "Warbirds, Gen. frigates, some warpins, and maybe a few others"), and their special is too situational.

1337 64M3R wrote:Bugs

Why is this word in a post about how to stop Leahvals and Frigates without the words "do not use at all facing these Romulan units"? The Leahval vs. Bug is the most effective counter there is. Gamer, it seems you aren't reading the passives, I would advise taking a look at them.
posted on November 25th, 2010, 6:23 pm
Nebula_Class_Ftw wrote:This isn't the reason I dislike the way they are now, and I don't think it's the reason others dislike them either. It's that they are so specialized that they can't stand up to anything that isn't on the "countered by Breen Cruiser" list (which just says "Warbirds, Gen. frigates, some warpins, and maybe a few others"), and their special is too situational.

Again ... Bombers are a better counter ... but Breen Cruisers will do just fine .... try it.  Cloak helps a lot.  Bombers can't get away.  Breen can.
posted on November 25th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Nebula_Class_Ftw wrote:Why is this word in a post about how to stop Leahvals and Frigates without the words "do not use at all facing these Romulan units"? The Leahval vs. Bug is the most effective counter there is. Gamer, it seems you aren't reading the passives, I would advise taking a look at them.

Maybe my post was misread, I suggested them purely as support for the Bombers, not as a stand-alone counter. The biggest thing in Fleet Ops is to mix your fleets. It would be better to counteract with a mixed fleet than just another spam.

1337 64M3R wrote:You should have 3 Small shipyards. 2 Pumping out bombers, and the other pumping out a divided fleet of Bugs and Breen Cruisers. (Yadda Yadda Yadda)

Basically as I just quoted, Bombers are the main focus, and the two others are simply for support and helping where the bombers fail. I could go on an on about why I suggested it but then I would be trolling wouldn't I?
1, 2