Do people use support ships?

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on November 15th, 2010, 11:13 am
This post from ray was off topic in another thread, so i quoted it here to talk about it on topic in this thread.

ray320 wrote:How often do people really use support ships?  I know people use leavhals, but those are more combat oriented then what you would say is a support ship, as in a ship that supports others, not one that can just fire a bigger gun and repair itself.  I mean how often do people actually use generix support refits? would people even use another romulan support ship?

leahvals are support ships, but i like the fact that for the race which should have the best support ships, that 1 of their supports can serve in combat too. the norway isnt terrible in combat, especially with its level 3 special

in general i always use supports if i can, they are amazing.

some examples:
    [+]precise volley from the remore, doesnt even need research and is amazing (has other cool specials too)
    [+]c17 pink beam of death is amazing
    [+]dodeca has the ability to give holding spheres huge amounts of energy for regen, diamond isnt a support, but fills the role most of the time
    [+]bortas weeeeeee, oh yh qawduj is pretty solid in combat too. and it counters adai hard. its level 1 special is useful any day of the week. its level 3 is awesome too.

thats every race i listed, feds have other supports too lol.

about gensups, i dont use gens at all since i think they make romulans too easy to play. they are so easy to rely on and end up with a boring game.

but if u need reasons to build them, they have the mines which make harassing harder, they have the amazing plasma bolt to knock out weapons, and are easier to make than defiants for the purpose. they have shield recharge, which on full auto will recharge your shields quickly.
posted on November 15th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Well frankly the C11 is the only support ship I can think of that truly is ignored (and with good reason).

I think however that sometimes people do miss out on some pretty awesome uses of the Canaveral, the Remoore, and the Qaw'Duj.  IMO the C-17 is.... not a support ship but just a massive nuker :D.  I only know of a few players that effectively use the AoE ability - most just want a critical mass of pink.

I think the only support ship truly unused is the C-11 due to the fact that, while it is cheap and may counter ADAI units, it only takes a few non-ADAI units to completely clean them up.  That gives them ranks and wastes all the time/resources you put into the C-11.  Not a good risk IMO.
posted on November 15th, 2010, 6:02 pm
Yeah, I an not a big support ship guy.  Even in Stock A2 I never really liked the special ships and in FO, when you can win without ever buying the expencive ships... monsoons, intrepids, E2's and Maybe sovereigns really work for me.  Defiants and Akiras are nice on the rare occasion that I have extra resources, but really, canaverals remoore's and even norways most of the time are just too expencive for my taste and they aren't useful enough, right out of the yard.

I don't play other races enough to comment on them, however I know don't use special ships for klinkers either. :sweatdrop:
posted on November 15th, 2010, 6:05 pm
I mostly play against the AI, so supports rarely come up for me unless I feel like something diverse. It's far cheaper to let the AI kill each other then dispose of the remains.
posted on November 15th, 2010, 6:55 pm
things i can gather from what people say is that against the ai support ships arent that important, i havnt played against the ai in ages, i prefer online. and from my experiences there, i can say that support ships and specials in general are important.

about the c17: i love using em blast, its a better version of the canav's sensor blackout. and to get the pink beam of death, u need to research em blast anyway. i like using em blast at the start of battle, and pink beam with any energy left at the end to finish off retreating ships. i think people focus more on the pink beam since it is so visibly powerful, it kills things fast, and is generally fun to use.

about the c11: i agree that having large numbers of them is a bad idea as they are so weak, but there is 1 use i can see them in, using weapon focus to bombard turrets from afar with bombers. its a bit tricky to get right, but if u get it right it is powerful as it lasts long enough to cast the bomber's special. c11 can also recharge the bomber special a little.

if the enemy spams support ships like the leahval cascade feedback could be useful, but then u need numbers of c11, and they can switch to another ship. at least the c11 isnt too expensive.

its funny if the c11 could actually get kills, it is a defence beast at veteran. it can regen shields so fast that an unupgraded fed starbase will not be able to kill it lol.
posted on November 15th, 2010, 7:40 pm
c-11 need an aoe regeneration... i hope they do it with 3.1.4 since they are doing some ship aoe buff stuff  :)
posted on November 16th, 2010, 12:09 am
I find that people who play federation rarely use support ships now, and it seems like part of the reason is that maybe they have been nerfed too much..... for a race where teamwork, and support is one of their defining ideals, you would think that support ships would play a bigger role, and would be more commonly used
posted on November 16th, 2010, 2:04 pm
feds already have 3 useful support ships, if u arent using them u are playing badly lol. Its still possible to win as feds even if u play badly.

Look at the remore for example, i always build it if games last past e2, it makes killing starbases easy with precise volley, and it makes the enemy miss your fleet with ecm :D

canav sensor blackout is equally awesome.
posted on November 17th, 2010, 6:23 am
What im saying however, is that it is not really necessary.....

I mean honestly, you can easily double yard sabers, research monsoons and warp in, or go intrepids, and win without using support ships

Basically what im saying is that everyone say feds are op, so why not tone some things down, and make it more focused on co-operation, working together, and ultimately, putting more emphasis on support ships

Fed battle fleets or task forces always had one ship kinda as the command center and i believe the support ships should fill that type of role, support the fleet
posted on November 17th, 2010, 8:54 am
yes i agree, feds dont need supports, they can win without them, but they are more effective with them.

Feds should rely less on supports than romulans, as roms are being advertised as spw masters. Feds have strong shields.