Do people use Hyperspace Artillery's?

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on April 27th, 2011, 12:15 pm
I just had a game against the AI, mainly to learn how to play better online and to see what FO is capable of for my own mods. Anyway I noticed the Hyperspace Artillery is well rather useless when compared to a small fleet of Bombers and Destroyers.

Does anyone actually use them and are they worth the cost and how to you utilise them to be most effective?
posted on April 27th, 2011, 12:24 pm
the hsa can outrange any turret and is made for killing buildings.

Bombers are great at taking unaided turrets out, but they are fragile, and if the bombers get into range of turrets they die fast. If they turtle several phaser plats at once can 1 shot a bomber. And torp plats cans outrange the bombers. A perimeter with at charges will easily repel a fleet of bombers with 1 at charge.

If a turret is alone without scouting/sensors anything long range can beat it, but when they turtle hard, something bigger is needed.
posted on April 27th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Well I did happen to use it against a shipyard and mining station with little damage resulting from it's weapon special.

I feel for it's cost and construction time you're better off building something else.
posted on April 27th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on April 27th, 2011, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's basically a bunker buster - dealing 670 damage to buildings a shot is an incentive to force opposing players to act. When you consider that a Romulan mining colony has 1355 hitpoints or that several turrets range between 800-1000 hitpoints, you're dealing a fair amount of damage :)

Likewise, since it is dealing damage to an unlimited number of units, it can also act as fleet support to damage shields and hull of many ships :)
posted on April 27th, 2011, 11:39 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Likewise, since it is dealing damage to an unlimited number of units, it can also act as fleet support to damage shields and hull of many ships :)

Or to destroy entire fleets of smaller ships if the opponent doesn't manage to get them all out in time.
posted on April 28th, 2011, 12:27 am
It's also a huge psychological asset that tries the courage of lesser men. :pirate:

If you have a fleet AND a HSA or two, you can make the other side do stupid things, and it can also help break apart your enemy's unity that is so needed in team games.