A new pyramid appears

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on March 10th, 2011, 10:52 pm
i was looking a the guide pyramids listed and was thinking of a new combo.

2 regen, 1 nanite and 1 holding. the holding can serve as a combat tractor beam mimic, but mainly its there to allow a double vinca dodeca to recharge regen.

it has less off than the torpedo pyramid, but the added sys value from holding, and the ability for dodeca to give ~1000 energy will make it tank for ages. the dodeca can even use its other special to give area energy to the various assims you probably have at the time, to assist with more nanite factory specials.

opinions on this.
posted on March 10th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Sounds good.
posted on March 10th, 2011, 11:20 pm
I think it could lack a bit of firepower. Of course, if you are in the situation of having additional Assims already, then that combination could be a great tank. But I think once you got a pyramide out, your enemies might have large fleets you have to get rid of somehow, you'll need something that gives a punch. That combi wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be sure that your assims survive the whole time, people love to target them and take them out, since they can't get away(even when there is no veqlaragh behind them :D) You'd need a strong ally.
posted on March 10th, 2011, 11:36 pm
hmm the problem of a clever enemy going after the assims instead is indeed something i have considered in my head

i was thinking about being hyper aggressive with the pyramid that has regen, it has higher speed and should end up ahead of the rest of the fleet, hopefully it could end up flying straight at their fleet and taking huge amounts of fire, then the assims arrive a few seconds later, that way they damage the pyramid, and either choose to give up on pyramid and go for assims, thus some damage did nothing, or keep after pyramid, in which case you got them to go for the target with regen.
posted on March 11th, 2011, 8:15 am
I still think if you can get 2-3 Assims and that pyramide and the vinca dode your enemy must have done something wrong already ;). In my opinion, althouh Borg shouldn't lose ships, they do since they don't have yards. While the other races lose every now and then a ship but still have a growing fleet, Borg ships simply buy time until the next, larger and stronger Borg ship enters the field. Before Spheres are coming Borg ships usually don't last very long.
In fact you want to use that pyramide the same way as people use regen Spheres, the pyramide is just an even better tank. Fine, but the pyramide is more expensive, therefore comes later, your enemy probably has a fleet that can easily go for your assims or at least the dode.

Although the decreased System Value from not using a Holding Beam means that Regeneration cannot be sustained for as long, the graviton torpedo now deals part of its damage as direct hull damage and thus will cripple the battleships (and defense stations) that your foes are likely to field.

Dom says that in the guide about the torp pyramide and it's also my point: your pyramide simply lacks firepower.
Btw. that doesn't mean I won't try it out if I get the chance  :thumbsup:. After all these are just my thoughts without having tried it.
posted on March 11th, 2011, 9:47 am
Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:I still think if you can get 2-3 Assims and that pyramide and the vinca dode your enemy must have done something wrong already ;). In my opinion, althouh Borg shouldn't lose ships, they do since they don't have yards. While the other races lose every now and then a ship but still have a growing fleet, Borg ships simply buy time until the next, larger and stronger Borg ship enters the field. Before Spheres are coming Borg ships usually don't last very long.

im of the opposite opinion, i think borg should protect their ships, as they dont get many of them. lower tier borg ships wont last long in fleet battles later, thats why they should go raiding. assims are hard to keep alive, but as assim avatar, you are gonna make them for a while before u get to pyramid. they are more cost effective than spheres in general imo. 1 borg ship on its own is nearly always gonna get a mass beating.

the dodeca shouldnt enter the fleet battle, it should stay at the back, only used for giving energy for regen. thats how i use it for opti with holding spheres.

Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:Dom says that in the guide about the torp pyramide and it's also my point: your pyramide simply lacks firepower.

thats true, gotta test it, and see if the added tanking will help it. spheres can sometimes be like that, i do holding spheres, and they are effective, because the dodeca gives them so much energy. also the holding beam can stop enemies, then u have to force fire on them.

another bonus from the holding modules is 20% resistance against specials. the feds are fond of using stuff like trico on borg ships.

Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:these are just my thoughts without having tried it.

no need for "just", i'm happy to hear your thoughts, that why i asked for them :)
posted on March 11th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Could be an interesting layout :)

Usually at that point in the game you aren't wanting a tank so much in my opinion, because then it's wiser just to get a Sphere to tank for that Pyramid, while the Pyramid is just putting out damage  :sweatdrop: . Definitely will have to investigate :)

Similar in my mind usually to making a DPS Cube versus a damage soaking Cube  :blush:
posted on March 11th, 2011, 5:41 pm
i was under the impression that the pyramid is more cost effective than the sphere for assimilate. the unit analysis says usually the pyramid will supplant the sphere. :sweatdrop:

i can see how having a regen sphere would help, though, as they are generally useful as tanks.
posted on March 11th, 2011, 6:29 pm
Yup, it is - but it depends on the usage really :). If you can wait till that amount of connections, then yup, it's good, but the regen of the Sphere will always beat out that of the Pyramid. So for 'damage-ness' and overall durability a Pyramid will be great, but it won't tank quite as well as a Sphere if you set it up as on :) . There's always an unspoken element about unit descriptions unfortunately, as otherwise I could easily write a page about each unit and their specific usages  :blush: . I added a one liner qualifier to accommodate that, as I probably was thinking too simplistically when I first wrote the explanation :)
posted on March 11th, 2011, 6:49 pm
I agree with you Myles about the Dode, I have no problem with that, I love to do it myself. But still the weapon has quite a short weapon range. And think about it: you have 95connections just for tanking, that's nearly two Spheres. The Dode doesn't do damage at all, and the pyramide probably also not much (I admit I don't know how much damage it does, but it is torp armament only, so not that nice against medium and small considering shot delay).

However, I could think about a situation in late game, when Spheres are already not enough any more to tank. Your enemy uses loads of Luspets/C-17s/Excel II/Warbirds and kills your spheres too fast. In a situation like that your Pyramide could probably help.
posted on March 11th, 2011, 7:11 pm
even without a second torp module you still have an ok amount of dps, the torp module adds 21 off.

the 2 regen modules each add 7 to off. the torp will still do an ok amount of damage. other ships should be doing the main damage though.