Trek Core Reveals DS9 In Hi-Def May Be Possible

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
posted on May 10th, 2013, 8:05 pm
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer

One of the cost hurdles that DS9 faces for transitioning to hi-def is that the purely CG battle scenes would be costly and time-consuming to reproduce from scratch as the original digital assets were assumed to be lost.

It turns out, though, that a significant proportion of those assets were kept. More, at least one of the studios who worked on those series substantially overbuilt their models beyond what would be necessary for SD work, and they hold up very well in HD. The article has a shot that shows how the Nebula model would look rendered in HD, and it looks gorgeous.

I'm hoping that the STTNG remasters sell well enough for CBS to green-light a DS9 remastering project, as that series deserves that treatment.
posted on May 10th, 2013, 8:16 pm
oooo. ds9 was my favourite, i'd love to rewatch it in hd.

that honshu render looks great.

cautiously optimistic that this goes ahead.
posted on May 10th, 2013, 9:26 pm
That'd be really nice.
TNG Blu-rays are absolutely worth it already. Just begun watching Season 3.
Now that quality with DS9 with some of it's more fleet action oriented episodes would be pure fun to watch.
posted on May 11th, 2013, 3:22 pm
I saw 'best of both worlds' in the theater i really hope they do that with DS9. Imagine sacrifice of angels in theaters?
posted on May 20th, 2013, 1:32 pm
this is good to hear, will be interesting to see if it gets the green light
posted on May 20th, 2013, 8:07 pm
I just saw this HD clip linked on Twitter. Apparently the channel belongs to one of the CGI artists who worked on DS9; perhaps he was inspired by the Trek Core article. Play it full screen and cranked up to 1080p.

posted on May 20th, 2013, 8:16 pm
MadHatter wrote:I just saw this HD clip linked on Twitter. Apparently the channel belongs to one of the CGI artists who worked on DS9; perhaps he was inspired by the Trek Core article. Play it full screen and cranked up to 1080p.

*drool*
posted on June 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm
the video got updated with some improvements and a few more seconds of new footage :)

posted on June 2nd, 2013, 3:15 pm
Wow i hope they convert the whole series. That little clip was awesome! The battles with the Defiant and bugs swooping around the station would look amazing I bet.
posted on June 2nd, 2013, 11:43 pm
:'( that's absolutely beautiful :'(
posted on June 3rd, 2013, 2:04 pm
If they're redoing it in hi-def... does that mean no shot recylcing?

Maybe the second Defiant will use the registry of the Sao Paulo instead of the NX number of the first? Or a proper legacy number as the Defiant-A.
posted on June 3rd, 2013, 5:38 pm
Tyler wrote:If they're redoing it in hi-def... does that mean no shot recylcing?

Maybe the second Defiant will use the registry of the Sao Paulo instead of the NX number of the first? Or a proper legacy number as the Defiant-A.

If such a remastering project goes ahead, then I expect it'll be with the same approach as TNG -- to come as close to the original as possible. I won't deny that they might take the opportunity to do some corrections, but they'll have to balance that impulse with the understanding that some purists will complain bitterly at any kind of change.
posted on June 3rd, 2013, 6:50 pm

A did a quick and dirty preview of what this may be like with Audio
posted on June 3rd, 2013, 10:27 pm
Gorandius1256 wrote:A did a quick and dirty preview of what this may be like with Audio

Great :)

Tyler wrote:If they're redoing it in hi-def... does that mean no shot recylcing?

I hope they take more freedom than in the hi-def version of TNG. I'd be fine with some extended 3D scenes or them doing some new establishing shots from other perspectives etc..
posted on June 21st, 2013, 6:35 pm
DOCa Cola wrote:I hope they take more freedom than in the hi-def version of TNG. I'd be fine with some extended 3D scenes or them doing some new establishing shots from other perspectives etc..

As awesome as that would be, they probably won't as it would require quite a bit of work even to just do new camera animations. But we can still hope.