Star Trek round based strategy games

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
posted on July 15th, 2015, 11:46 am
Hello folks,
today I had the thought about "Birth of the Federation" and wanted to play that game again. But not the "old" one, but an updated one. So I searched in the net and had names like "Supermacy, BotE, BotF2" in the back of my mind and searched for a Download just to find this article: (already a year old)
https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?44600-Cancellations-BOTF2-BotE-Supremacy-and-Star-Trek-Allegiance

Well, long story short: It seems, there isn't a single turn based Strategy game out there anymore - at least not supported and ongoing.

In the hope, I'm wrong and someone knows a good one - is there something out there?

Just wanted to play something in between the time until Star Citizen comes out.

Cheers,
the Beard-Monster
posted on July 16th, 2015, 7:28 pm
Ever tried Master of Orion 2? Also StarDrive 2 is said to be a worthwhile experience.
posted on July 16th, 2015, 8:58 pm
Stardrive 2 is a bit of a Curate's Egg. There's some really, really good bits (starship design being the best bit), but they're let down by the really really bad bits (ground combat, bugs).

It is aggravating that there's been no other turn-based strategy games based on Star Trek though. The Dominion Wars would have been a good candidate for such.
posted on July 20th, 2015, 9:24 am
Hmm, I found, that many people of the 3 projects above are now working together. (The Star Trek ones)
They actively work on BotF2 and have merged Supremacy with some game code from the other projects. Its still ongoing but at least... there is something. :)
posted on July 20th, 2015, 4:46 pm
Honestly, I've been waiting for Supremacy for ages and absolutely lost track (I can't even remember when that was). Game development is a full time job and the more you want to create the more resources (time, know-how, work force and money) you need to accomplish your goals. It's the reason why most fan made games die before they are finished. The most frequently mentioned reasons for project death are: Family, job and motivation. Imagine most modders started in their teenager time. At the moment I set my hopes in ST Excalibur (still) and am sure that Fleet Ops will make it. But it's still a distance to wait.

Concerning Master of Orion / 4X : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06 ... -of-orion/
posted on July 20th, 2015, 6:21 pm
I do like Endless Space a lot, though ship design has no real depth to it, and combat is abstracted to the point of being a card game.