star trek and blu-ray

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
1, 2
posted on August 5th, 2012, 9:02 pm
so the first season of The Next Generation is on blu-ray, im surprised no-one has made a topic of this already.

has anyone got it and does it live up to your expectations?

i was wondering if anyone knows if this is now the definitive version or if there is going to be a "special edition" later on?

the same questions to the movies.

i want to get them, but i hate when you buy a disc then 5 months later its the uber super special deluxe ultimate definitive edition comes out..
posted on August 5th, 2012, 11:12 pm
hellodean wrote:i want to get them, but i hate when you buy a disc then 5 months later its the uber super special deluxe ultimate definitive edition comes out..

1. That's the way they make most money possible with movies and shows on disc.

2. Always keep in mind that special editions aren't necessarily better for your personal taste. The original three Star Wars movies for example I liked much better >without< the special edition stuff.

3. Just make sure you inform yourself well enough about included contents, in case you are patient and wait until the released blu-rays offer several editions to choose from. This way you make sure you get what you want the most.
posted on August 5th, 2012, 11:48 pm
Generally... what he said.

The films themselves don't usually change or have better quality or different audio. So it usually boils down to special features.

The new tng blue rays... don't have it. I have seen some screen caps. I can say for certain the image quality has improved over the DVD release. But I also know that its not without some over done dnr in some places. I would just find a reliable source for reviews.
posted on August 6th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Last edited by MadHatter on August 6th, 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bought the TNG Season 1 blu-ray and the image quality is vastly superior to the DVD version. The resolution is there, the colours are greatly improved. You can see details on the Enterprise that were blurry before, like the subtle colour difference between panels and the "Enterprise" decal by the fore torpedo launcher.

Of course, it also means that you get to see high-resolution images of some of the dodgy costumes Season 1 had, but hey, nothing's perfect.

In terms of waiting for a supper-whizzo-mega-deluxe edition, bear in mind that the release schedule for the TNG blu-rays is a season every six months. You're looking at a three year wait until Season 7 is released, and any collected edition will probably be a couple of years behind that.

As for further enhanced editions, I don't think that's likely in the near future. Perhaps some additional bonus features etc, but the episodes themselves won't see any changes, at least not for a good long while.

Edit: As for what Myles said about DNR (Digital Noise Reduction); honestly, it looked fine to me. TV is in the 55" class.

Edit 2: Why the hell did I say "Myles"? I meant NJM. It's not even as if the two avatars are remotely alike.
posted on August 6th, 2012, 7:09 pm
MadHatter wrote:Edit: As for what Myles said about DNR (Digital Noise Reduction); honestly, it looked fine to me. TV is in the 55" class.

psh, as if i'd ever buy star trek on dvd/br. :P
posted on August 6th, 2012, 7:15 pm
i would be expecting this TNG seasons to be probably definitive if its going to take that long. onless there is other footage that they are holding back for later on. but i doubt it.

as for the movies, they didnt do like the TNG series Blu-Ray and re-record it from the original source material for a better picture then?
posted on September 25th, 2012, 5:48 pm
Myles wrote:
MadHatter wrote:Edit: As for what Myles said about DNR (Digital Noise Reduction); honestly, it looked fine to me. TV is in the 55" class.

Ah, so you TiVo it like me then? :)

Somehow, it feels more "real" with commercials in it :P
posted on September 25th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Squire James wrote:
Myles wrote:

Ah, so you TiVo it like me then? :)

That's not quite what me meant... :sweatdrop:

@ OP

I got first contact on bluray and it looks really great on a 150" 720p projector screen. :D Netflix also has the enhanced versions of TOS, which look very good too. I'd say if you really want it, you probably won't be disappointed.
posted on September 25th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Ah ha so ye be an Orion Pirate then lad? :lol:
posted on September 25th, 2012, 7:03 pm
In forward-looking news, Season 2 on blu-ray coming in early December!
posted on September 25th, 2012, 7:11 pm
Squire James wrote:Ah, so you TiVo it like me then? :)

tivo is your name for PVR right?

in that case, no. i prefer magnets. still have no idea how they work.
posted on September 25th, 2012, 7:16 pm
Myles wrote:

TiVo is a brand name for a device more commonly refereed to as a DVR, which I believe is the same thing as a PVR :)
posted on September 25th, 2012, 7:23 pm
Adm. Zaxxon wrote:
Myles wrote:

TiVo is a brand name for a device more commonly refereed to as a DVR, which I believe is the same thing as a PVR :)

yeah, pvr and dvr are the same thing, that I know for sure.

do you guys have more than one brand of pvr/dvr to buy, or have tivo cornered the us market? as it's the only pvr ever referred to in your tv shows. over here many brands are sold. but the dominant form of pvr comes as part of a satellite/cable tv set top box, most commonly from sky, where it's called sky+. that's what i have. they subsidise the box in return for a fixed term contract for their service.
posted on September 25th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Every cable/signal provider has their own DVR, but as far as brand name DVRs, TiVo is the only one I know is popular.
posted on September 25th, 2012, 7:34 pm
There are plenty of brands of DVR here, but TiVo has become one of those brand names that has started to be used generically.
1, 2