New STAR TREK TV Series Coming 2017

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
posted on November 2nd, 2015, 5:18 pm
Well. That was unexpected. I don't think it to be targeted at the old fanbase though. Exciting news nonetheless :woot:

http://www.treknews.net/2015/11/02/new- ... the-works/
posted on November 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
well this sounds interesting, i wonder what kind of budget they will have, hopefully enough to do it justice. for them to announce this surely they should have a really good idea of what they want to do with the project,
various stories,
time frame
current aliens species to be in and new species to create

i hope they have interesting topics that make you think, like they did with the old shows.
posted on November 3rd, 2015, 3:43 am
There has been a lot of talk about getting more stuff on air, be it Captain Worf or any of the fan series/movies, so it's not all that surprising. But actually seeing something new with official backing is nice.

Kurtzman, who co-wrote and produced “Star Trek” (2009) and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” will serve as executive producer for the show

I'm afraid we'll have to put up with more shiny and polished star ships in some alternative timeline, but who knows what the setting will really be.

Looks like they're trying to push some service of theirs with this, which probably means it's not going to be readily available outside the US on launch >.<
posted on November 3rd, 2015, 5:46 am
I'll repost what I've said elsewhere:

So, CBS is producing a new Star Trek series for debut in January 2017 (or, as I've seen pointed out elsewhere, 1701)--and Alex Kurtzman, one of the creative team responsible for the first two reboot films, is at the helm.

This engenders mixed feelings for me. On the one hand, I'm not fond of the reboot films so the choice of Executive Producer has me apprehensive. On the other, the press release states "The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.", which suggests it may be set back in the original continuity. Plus, Kurtzman has a strong track record on the small screen, with credits on Alias, Xena, Fringe, and Sleepy Hollow.

It's also being produced for first-run on CBS's streaming subscription service, so that's $6 a month I'm going to have to fork over to be able to see it as it "airs".

I'm sure I'll have more to say as we get closer to the time, and details like the setting, cast, and design of the ship become known. For the meantime, I'm very much in "wait and see" mode.
posted on November 3rd, 2015, 11:03 am
MadHatter wrote:the press release states "The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.", which suggests it may be set back in the original continuity.

They might. I think they are actually better off by setting it in the old universe. A long term show might be working better with the old star trek fanbase interested. And this would obviously only work by setting it in the original time line not too far off from the tng/ds9/voy time. They wouldn't risk it to be another Enterprise. And they can still catch the moviegoers by adding a lot of lens flare and other visual influences from the movies. They won't know the difference.

My bets are that they go with the usual 5-year mission set-up. However they still have to deviate from that formula enough to not be too much in 'competition' with the reboot-kirk-movie-crew.
posted on November 3rd, 2015, 5:04 pm
I think ultimately, the writing and the tone will be the deciding factors on how it will be received by old and new fans. Give it a diverse crew; a compassionate, optimistic, and humanistic tone; and memorable stories that we'll be talking about in 2027 and beyond, and I'll be happy.

Oh yeah, and a beautiful new Enterprise.
posted on November 4th, 2015, 11:03 am
MadHatter wrote:The press release states "The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.", which suggests it may be set back in the original continuity.

That doesn't sound so bad.

Too bad it's already been decided that it's going to be shit.

:D
posted on November 8th, 2015, 9:02 am
Come on, we all know where this is going...

Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise

-David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios

Yea, sure. Respect for the name that people associate with high-quality science fiction, or better to say, respect for the willingness of people paying money for it. I am highly sceptical, and right so. One doesn't have to be a notorious pessimist to have very mixed feelings about that.
I am actually not sure whether I'm in the mood of just waiting and watching from a safe distance or one of hyper-activity, proclaiming that we all should write letters to the producers to let them know there are still a lot of "real" Star Trek fans out there who would like a real Star Trek series rather then a series cooked from the same awful recipe as those last two movies. Maybe one could influence the direction this is going a little bit...

Ahhh... It's a shame already to see the name Star Trek being dragged though the mud by those two movies recently. I just hope they don't add a series doing exactly the same, it would break my heart :(
posted on March 2nd, 2016, 2:42 am
This can only be good news, when i heard about it last year i hoped it would be in the original continuity, or the "prime timeline" although i like the new movies, they might not be in the same spirit as the older star trek shows and movies, but i think its the right Star Trek for now, i do think the Prime universe is where a successful series lies, Captain Worf?? it would be great, but i dont think an older character should be at the centre of the new series, Michael Dorn is awesome and would nail worf again but i dont think you could hook new fans that way, all new crew, ship and mission, and mix in the older stuff and show it respect and build off it, and to keep fans like us happy, they shouldnt retcon too much, keep as much as established by other series as possible.

Well that is my two pennies
posted on May 20th, 2016, 3:25 am
With Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer appointed to the creative team, a lot of fans I know have breathed sighs of collective relief.

And yesterday, this was posted:

@BryanFuller: WARNING: MAY CONTAIN EASTER EGGS - #StarTrek Television Logo and First Look Teaser Revealed

I got me way more interested than I had been for STID and am for STaB...