Zero-k (RTS)

Want to say something off topic? Something that has nothing to do with Trek? Post it here.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 8:21 am
Hi, I'm currentl testing an Open Source multiplayer RTS game called Zero-K. HAs some fast action and enough variet to not be boring at all.

http://zero-k.info/
posted on August 1st, 2012, 8:26 am
First few glances at that page give me a strong TA/SupCom vibe.
iReich!

And given that it's free, I'm going with the assumption it's lighter than the latter (haven't played the former, sadly).
Seems interesting enough to try.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 10:07 am
Nutter wrote:First few glances at that page give me a strong TA/SupCom vibe

as you should, it's based on Spring (an RTS engine made by members of one of the TA clans, inspired by the original TA engine), it used to be called Complete Annihilation and used TA game assets, they renamed it and eventually completely removed all original assets and now use free stuff only.

you missed out on a brilliant game for its time if you didn't play the original TA.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 2:06 pm
I wasn't even sentient when it was released.
Though, that does explain why the graphics seemed familiar.
Did do some basic research on Spring before but I never really had both the time and HDD to check.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 2:12 pm
Nutter wrote:I wasn't even sentient when it was released.
Though, that does explain why the graphics seemed familiar.
Did do some basic research on Spring before but I never really had both the time and HDD to check.

you make me sound like a pensioner, it was only 15 years ago.

that was the first game i ever played on a pc, on my first pc, an old win98 box for £30. it was pirated, too. back then games didn't always have cd checks, the guy that sold me the computer gave me a copy.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 2:26 pm
Well, a decade and a half is a heck of a long time. Lots of stuff happens, folks crawl out of wombs, grow a brain, lose it to increased hormone concentrations...

I generally spent more time with the first two C&C games and Warcraft II those days, though.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 2:33 pm
Nutter wrote:Well, a decade and a half is a heck of a long time. Lots of stuff happens, folks crawl out of wombs, grow a brain, lose it to increased hormone concentrations...

I generally spent more time with the first two C&C games and Warcraft II those days, though.

:lol:

about C&C: i played tiberian sun, thought it was shit if i'm honest. graphics weren't that good yet the game still ran crap.

i think i played one of the warcraft games in an internet café once, before i even had a computer of my own.
posted on August 1st, 2012, 2:42 pm
I liked TS. Rather easy to mod and at the point I got my hands on it, it ran rather well.
First and Second were great enough, Third was...slipping.

Though, none of these really has the same scale as TA. Which's a bit of a pity.
SupCom is rather heavy for my own machinery. This probably wouldn't be.

Aaaah, the eternal dilemma. School work or awesome explosions?
posted on August 2nd, 2012, 8:18 pm
The good thing about this RTS is that you dont run into the balance problems of most games since there are no differing factions. You can compensate any mistake in unit production quite fast (also because they dont last that long).