Star Trek Online

Want to say something off topic? Something that has nothing to do with Trek? Post it here.
1, 2
posted on December 12th, 2011, 3:41 pm
Hey guys im not sure if this has come up before but i just thought for anyone that plays this and STO why dont we make a fleet ops fleet in STO that way we could all chat on there aswell
posted on December 12th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Last edited by Ressikan on December 12th, 2011, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was thinking about going lifetime before they announced F2P. Now it just seems like a waste of money.
I don't think there are enough people here who play STO.
posted on December 12th, 2011, 5:25 pm
There is actually a fleet for FO and quite the number of STOers, though I cannot find the exact page: here are some search results for STO :)
Star Trek Armada II: Fleet Operations - Set Search Parameters
posted on December 12th, 2011, 7:06 pm
Last edited by RedEyedRaven on December 12th, 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ressikan wrote:I was thinking about going lifetime before they announced F2P. Now it just seems like a waste of money.
I don't think there are enough people here who play STO.

There's a special-offer for subscriptions at the moment. It's not that much of a waste actually, because with a lifetime-sub you'll get stipends (free CP for STO every month) and also you will have access to all gold-features for the time it'll be around... not the worst deal ever IMO. With or without F2p.
posted on December 12th, 2011, 10:37 pm
Yeah we have a Fleetops Fleet for a couple years now. Add me West@fleet47 and ask me to send you an invite :).
Xanto
posted on December 13th, 2011, 12:55 am
I think I may get back into STO once it goes F2P, I have the game but I felt it wasn't really worth paying for monthly for the amount I played...  :ermm:
posted on December 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm
funnystuffpictures wrote:Yeah we have a Fleetops Fleet for a couple years now. Add me West@fleet47 and ask me to send you an invite :).

I'll try as well... have been declining fleet-offers for too long now XD
posted on December 13th, 2011, 4:38 pm
RedEyedRaven wrote:There's a special-offer for subscriptions at the moment. It's not that much of a waste actually, because with a lifetime-sub you'll get stipends (free CP for STO every month) and also you will have access to all gold-features for the time it'll be around... not the worst deal ever IMO. With or without F2p.

If you ask me any game is not worth consistently putting money into. I support one time purchases if the price is reasonable, but as for consistent payment - its not real for crying out loud, a fantasy world, artificial realism! >:(
posted on December 13th, 2011, 5:13 pm
Beef wrote:If you ask me any game is not worth consistently putting money into. I support one time purchases if the price is reasonable, but as for consistent payment - its not real for crying out loud, a fantasy world, artificial realism! >:(

Erm... you pay the company to be able to sustain developers so they can create more content for the game and bring it on a higher level of entertainment. I find that to be very worth my money. Every game is unrealistic - which is perfect! Really, when I would die on a mission, I could't play the game anymore. :D I hope I could help you understand a simple truth or two.

I used to play STO for 2 months. Now I'm waiting until it's f2p. I'd be glad to be a member of the FO Fleet. My Captain's name is Shril. I look like a white streched chicken (from the back). The race is... oh damn I forgot the name...I developed from mitosis and everyone else is dead?  :lol:

I think my next character will be an MHN. That's much more consistent.
posted on December 13th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Do you even know much money is made from sales alone? Im not just talking about the game itself, im talking about cryptic points too! Do you think that STO would go free to play if they couldn't afford it?

All what you see there is intelectual content. In other words: stuff you don't hold in your hand. It is costly only to develop but they they can market it at a expense a few pennies per piece!

For example (this is not an advertisement, i am actually stating an example): website.ws is so profitable that they can easily hand out 50% of the fee they charge for usage of their domains as rewards for users recommending it to other people!

To sumarize it all in a single sentence: There is a fat clear line between sustainability and corporate glutonny!
posted on December 13th, 2011, 5:41 pm
I wish they would let you do a one time payment of say $50 and gain access to all the current content, but you got to choose to pay for future expansions.  Like system updates are free, but content updates cost like DLC's for games.  You would be able to choose weather you wanted to buy them or not.
posted on December 13th, 2011, 5:54 pm
Jan wrote:
Erm... you pay the company to be able to sustain developers so they can create more content for the game and bring it on a higher level of entertainment. I find that to be very worth my money. Every game is unrealistic - which is perfect! Really, when I would die on a mission, I could't play the game anymore. :D I hope I could help you understand a simple truth or two.

I used to play STO for 2 months. Now I'm waiting until it's f2p. I'd be glad to be a member of the FO Fleet. My Captain's name is Shril. I look like a white streched chicken (from the back). The race is... oh damn I forgot the name...I developed from mitosis and everyone else is dead?  :lol:

I think my next character will be an MHN. That's much more consistent.

For once i agree with beef, you didn't really make a good point for constantly paying the devs, one time payments for a game are better than constantly paying every month especially for a crappy game that's really not worth it hence why its going f2p because it doesn't have the subscribers it needs to keep going.

Subscription payments are a scam. There are 100 games for every 1 subscription based game how ever do the devs manage to get by in those cases? guess they must be living in poverty.

Also when you say support the devs you actually mean support the company that sells it because the devs are usually contracted and already paid a certain amount when games are stolen 9/10 its the company that gets hit in the pocket not the devs they have already been paid for the job they were contracted to do you see....
posted on December 13th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Well to be honest I haven't played yet, so i will not presume to judge it from "is it worth to pay evey month" standpoint, i am waiting for F2P, however my opinion is in general, there is simply not worth to make sustained paiments for intangible materiele. :ermm:

... but lets not be pushing daisies about such affairs, if any of the FO boys are playing STO then I will propably join you in january too! :thumbsup:
posted on December 13th, 2011, 8:46 pm
RedEyedRaven wrote:There's a special-offer for subscriptions at the moment. It's not that much of a waste actually, because with a lifetime-sub you'll get stipends (free CP for STO every month) and also you will have access to all gold-features for the time it'll be around... not the worst deal ever IMO. With or without F2p.

Stipends? Sounds interesting... Maybe I will go check their lifetime offers page again.
What are the other benefits of Lifers? Are there some new ones?
As far as I remember there were these useless things like "The Captain's Room" or whatever it is called.
posted on December 13th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Ressikan wrote:Stipends? Sounds interesting... Maybe I will go check their lifetime offers page again.
What are the other benefits of Lifers? Are there some new ones?
As far as I remember there were these useless things like "The Captain's Room" or whatever it is called.

Well, the stipends are not only for lifers- they're given for all subscriptions.

Other than the captain's room, you'll get a special badge for your characters ingame and the liberated Borg-playable race (head attachments if you want to, higher Hitpoints-regeneration on ground and if you chose it an active ability to implant nanites in foes).

Lifetime Subscription | Star Trek Online Official Site
1, 2