Looking For 3d Tool

Want to say something off topic? Something that has nothing to do with Trek? Post it here.
posted on February 9th, 2004, 10:45 pm
Does anyone of you know a good freeware/shareware 3d animation/rendering tool?

It should be rather selfexplaining and easy to use. I got an old full version of NeoN 3d at home, but that technology is rather outdated. Most actual effects are simply missing.

But it had one advantage: Constructing objects and animating them was really a pleasant thing. The interface was very intuitive and easy to learn. Almost every function was accessible via an icon, that clearly showed what it did.

Animation phases could be controlled via timesplines.

The object editor was easy to use. Extruding shapes with beveled edges was a thing of 4 or 5 clicks.

So what I'm looking for is a tool that is as user friendly as NeoN 3d was, but with newer features and functions.

Any ideas?
posted on February 10th, 2004, 12:56 am
freware/sharware no, but you know everything is *free*...
posted on February 10th, 2004, 6:27 am
well i think the best tool to start rendering is 3dmax, cause all "grater" 3d programs work somehow the same.
but 3dmax is very expensive.
thee is a free, downcutted version of 3dmax, named gmax. it is designed for developers, like modders, to make contents for games. I never tried it but you could try it to see if you like the 3dmax system, the interface should be nearly the same.
posted on February 10th, 2004, 10:24 am
I simply can't imagine that there are no people, just like the FO team, who do such things in their free time. I mean, for Linux almost everything exists for free.

And 3d bla bla is definately too expensive. And I think you will need 4 times the time to do things than a program like NeoN would have needed simply because the interface is... ok, without a handbook and "lots" of time there is no chance.

So, this is the end of my 3d animation ambitions, seriously. That hobby is to time consuming.
posted on February 11th, 2004, 10:00 pm
gmax can't handle the 3dsmax sod exporter plugin, as far i know. the thing is, all good 3d rendering apps ARE expensive, but all of them have trial versions offered by their manufacturers

DOCa Cola