internet tv

Want to say something off topic? Something that has nothing to do with Trek? Post it here.
posted on August 27th, 2012, 8:07 am
I was searching google for news on a new trek series, as I have read that talks are being had, and have been had about a new series. I stumbled across this article, which brings up some nice points and ideas about how Star Trek could work being broadcasted online. This however, I think could quite possibly be how we watch tv shows in the future, through internet services like netflix.

I am trying the free month trial, and have to say I like it. The ability to watch whatever you want, and be able to pause and skip episodes, and most importantly see all episodes of a show in order is great. I can only imagine this would be both benificial to the producers of shows, and consumers.

As the article mentions eliminating pesky cliffhangers before commercial breaks would allow better continuity throughout the episode. Story arcs, and 2 part episodes would be easier to produce, not to mention that producers would not necessarily be constrained to a set amount of time. All those deleted scenes you learn about and say, "why was this taken out?", well they need not be if the show isnt constrained to a set amount of time.

This seems to me like it could very well be the future in a few years, internet becoming the new means for distribution of t.v. programming.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/08/25/why-isnt-netflix-working-on-a-new-star-trek-already/
posted on August 27th, 2012, 10:07 am
currently i doubt the advertising revenue from internet streaming tv is anywhere near matching the advert revenue for broadcast tv.

the former would have to be close to the latter to make the mass move of tv shows online a serious prospect.

i don't think advertisers are ready for that yet, computer ads can be skipped with clever software hacks, broadcast tv ads are compulsory and are worth more as a result.

personally i'd love for TV shows to all go online, it's more value for the consumer, but the advertisers decide where the shows go atm as they pay for it.