Christmas in germany and Britain

Want to say something off topic? Something that has nothing to do with Trek? Post it here.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 4:05 pm
In Germany Christmas seems to be on the 24th of December but for us British and Americans its on the 25th? why?

I find this weird because i studied history a long time ago and i did a bit on ww1 where British and German soldiers made an unofficial ceasefire and exchanged gifts played football and traded ciggies ect on the same day? was that the 24th or the 25th then? and why do germans celebrate christmas 1 day before us anyway?
posted on December 24th, 2011, 4:21 pm
We are ahead in many terms...you are just beyond.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 5:08 pm
the presents are opened on the 24th, the first christmas holiday is still on 25th
posted on December 24th, 2011, 5:14 pm
When the Roman christians tried to convert the germanic tribes they laid their christian high dates near the german. So they could convert them easily.

Christmas 24.12
ancient german "Julnacht" or "Wintersonnenwende" in the night of 21.-22.

It was a simple conversion Trick.

(Learned that theory in Scool, dont know if thats thrue)
posted on December 24th, 2011, 5:32 pm
Weihnachten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

X-mas on same date, but a small family dinner on the 24th.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 8:23 pm
yup as everyone else as said, xmas is 25th in germany.

fun fact: the british royal family follow the german tradition and open gifts on the 24th.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 8:35 pm
Optec wrote:the presents are opened on the 24th, the first christmas holiday is still on 25th

TBH, a lot of people in the US do that too. My family included. :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas everyone!
posted on December 24th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Adm. Zaxxon wrote:TBH, a lot of people in the US do that too. My family included. :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas everyone!

same here, my family opened all its presents early.

not xmas yet, that is in a little over 3 hours for britain and 2 hours for most of europe. australia have already reached xmas, but isnt it summer for them? santa must get pretty tosaty in the western clichéd clothing.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 11:08 pm
I think it varies from country to country. I know that in Slovakia, for example, most of it (family meal, present giving, etc) is done on the evening of the 24th...

...whereas the Russians have to wait another two weeks for their Christmas.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 11:59 pm
Then there is Mexico, who spend the entire nine days leading up to Christmas celebrating with parties and whatnot.  But the gifts do not come until Three Kings Day which is early-mid January.  Not certain of the exact date though.
posted on December 25th, 2011, 11:04 am
Myles wrote:fun fact: the british royal family follow the german tradition and open gifts on the 24th.

Thats cos they ARE german :P