Potential Tournament

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 12:52 am
Last edited by HalFala on July 3rd, 2010, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wooo... My first post... >.>

Anyways while at work today I had the smart idea of trying to put together a bracket tournament with the winner getting bragging rights or something like that.

>.> I was hoping I could get some feedback on this.  You know whether people would actually want to do it.  Rules.  and what not.

I already have a basic layout set up in my mind so.. yeah let me know what you think.
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 1:07 am
I think that the idea of a tournament has always been "just in the brain-stew" because we have yet to have a nearly perfect-balance patch out.

3.1.2 is REALLY close, but there are still a few minor issues with a couple of units being uncounterable when spammed :).  There's also the issue of cloak being very hard to detect right now.

Soooome day, we'll be able to have a cool tournament :).
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 1:53 am
Okay..... I may not be able to be in the tournament. However, I can help you along the lines of rulez.

1. No Rematches, once the game is done, it is done! Winner Moves on, loser leaves the tournament.
2. All Games will be FFA or 1 vs 1. No teams under any circumstances.
3. If there is any collaboration of Players suggesting that they are "Ganging-up". The ones involved in the act will be disqualified.
4. Ones who cannot attend the scheduled match will have one week to make it up. If it is not made by that week, the player that didn't attend will be counted as forfeiting. If the player contacts the Administrator with a legitimate reason, he can be re-entered. People only get 1 reentry.
5. For Klingon Players, building the K'beajQ Class from the starbase before getting the shipyard up will count as a cheat. All cheaters will be disqualified.
6. For Romulan Players, the Sabotage ability cannot be used. Any use of this will count as cheating. All Cheaters will be disqualified.
7. For Federation Players, doing the warp-in rush (getting the warp-in ships within less than 12 minutes ingame) will not be tolerated. Since this is an abuse of unbalance and will count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified. Construction of the station without use prior to the 12 minute marker will not count as cheating.
8. For Dominion Players, if for however reason you captured an alien constructor early game and have somehow done the Dreadnought rush (since all rounds are FFA, it is possible but unlikely). This will count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified.
9. For Borg players, if you were to rush the cube (finishing the cube as either your first vessel, or before 1 hour ingame). This will be abusing balance issues and will likewise count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified.
10. All matches should be looked over by 1 or more observers (to be referees to look for any possible cheating, at least 2 is recommended. Losers can qualify for being observers.)
11. Any abuse of current imbalances listed in the guide (or known among the community but not in the guide yet) will count as cheating. All Cheaters will be disqualified.
12. All battles must be done with the most current patch.
13. The Champion of the tournament will have the choice to take on the Community Challenge. If accepted, the Champion and the runner up will then play a 2 vs 6 against 6 losers. If the Champion and the Runner up come victorious, he gets to have himself shown in the Hall of Heroes (displayed in a guide page called the Hall of Fame). If the challenge is lost, or the challenge is denied, the player still gets to be in the Hall of Fame (just not in the Hall of Heroes).
14. Sequels to the tournament will have the champion fight against the champion of the previous tournament (If the previous champion is not the current champion).
15. If the previous Champion wins against the current one, the current champ will be crowned runner up instead of champion.

Those are just some, I'll write more later.
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 2:02 am
Lol @ Gamer.

90% of the stuff you just made up is ....

Well I dunno ... it's just wrong.  There aren't NEARLY as many "cheats" as you've described :lol:
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 3:14 am
Wow.. that was a pretty indepth list. o.o;

And as for you Boggz.  Sure there may be imbalances but I have yet to see one race be unbeatable.

I also came up with another idea >.> blame work.. seriously I have nothing to do.. I mean sure getting paid for doing nothing is fun but seriously.. anywhoo back to topic.

My latest Idea is called F.O.I.L.
Fleet Operations International League ( Blame the World Cup )

I know it sounds ridiculous but I think it could be fun.  With seasonal tournaments and such.

As of right now its still an idea in the planning stages but I'm hoping I can get some of this going in the next couple of weeks.  Hence why I'm looking for outside ideas and opinions.

Lastly my preposed tournament is tentatively titled:

F.O.I.L.
                Fleet Operations International League
                          Summer Championship
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 3:29 am
[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:Okay..... I may not be able to be in the tournament. However, I can help you along the lines of rulez.

1. No Rematches, once the game is done, it is done! Winner Moves on, loser leaves the tournament.
2. All Games will be FFA or 1 vs 1. No teams under any circumstances.
3. If there is any collaboration of Players suggesting that they are "Ganging-up". The ones involved in the act will be disqualified.
4. Ones who cannot attend the scheduled match will have one week to make it up. If it is not made by that week, the player that didn't attend will be counted as forfeiting. If the player contacts the Administrator with a legitimate reason, he can be re-entered. People only get 1 reentry.
5. For Klingon Players, building the K'beajQ Class from the starbase before getting the shipyard up will count as a cheat. All cheaters will be disqualified.
6. For Romulan Players, the Sabotage ability cannot be used. Any use of this will count as cheating. All Cheaters will be disqualified.
7. For Federation Players, doing the warp-in rush (getting the warp-in ships within less than 12 minutes ingame) will not be tolerated. Since this is an abuse of unbalance and will count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified. Construction of the station without use prior to the 12 minute marker will not count as cheating.
8. For Dominion Players, if for however reason you captured an alien constructor early game and have somehow done the Dreadnought rush (since all rounds are FFA, it is possible but unlikely). This will count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified.
9. For Borg players, if you were to rush the cube (finishing the cube as either your first vessel, or before 1 hour ingame). This will be abusing balance issues and will likewise count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified.
10. All matches should be looked over by 1 or more observers (to be referees to look for any possible cheating, at least 2 is recommended. Losers can qualify for being observers.)
11. Any abuse of current imbalances listed in the guide (or known among the community but not in the guide yet) will count as cheating. All Cheaters will be disqualified.
12. All battles must be done with the most current patch.
13. The Champion of the tournament will have the choice to take on the Community Challenge. If accepted, the Champion and the runner up will then play a 2 vs 6 against 6 losers. If the Champion and the Runner up come victorious, he gets to have himself shown in the Hall of Heroes (displayed in a guide page called the Hall of Fame). If the challenge is lost, or the challenge is denied, the player still gets to be in the Hall of Fame (just not in the Hall of Heroes).
14. Sequels to the tournament will have the champion fight against the champion of the previous tournament (If the previous champion is not the current champion).
15. If the previous Champion wins against the current one, the current champ will be crowned runner up instead of champion.

Those are just some, I'll write more later.

You would be done faster typing what is allowed then what is not.
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 6:19 am
HalFala wrote:Wooo... My first post... >.>

Welcome to the forums  :thumbsup:

HalFala wrote:Anyways while at work today I had the smart idea of trying to put together a bracket tournament with the winner getting bragging rights or something like that.

I like the idea of a tournament. A tournament could also attract more new players  :woot:
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 7:25 am
If there is FFA I will not join. Its so annoying if multiple teams/players attack one other there is nothing that person can do. And some ppl really tend to attack weaker players first instead of the stronger ones. Extremly annoying.

If you do a tournament it should include teams of 3ppl max. Each one has to do 1x 1v1 3x 2v2 and 1x 3v3.
posted on July 3rd, 2010, 9:33 am
ok lets start and disassemble this rather large set of rules.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:2. All Games will be FFA or 1 vs 1. No teams under any circumstances.

why not? team games are the most common type, 2v2 is extremely popular. no player can claim to be champion of anything if they can only win 1v1, if u cant be a good team player you will not do well online.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:5. For Klingon Players, building the K'beajQ Class from the starbase before getting the shipyard up will count as a cheat. All cheaters will be disqualified.

lolwut? thats just silly, watch replays the field yard is usually built before the first 4 miners are done. if u want to build kbqs and build absolutely no mining then you will end up weaker not stronger. 3 kbqs early on wont end the game, but your massive resource disadvantage will.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:6. For Romulan Players, the Sabotage ability cannot be used. Any use of this will count as cheating. All Cheaters will be disqualified.

this only applies against the borg. against other races sabotage is AWESOME and not op.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:7. For Federation Players, doing the warp-in rush (getting the warp-in ships within less than 12 minutes ingame) will not be tolerated. Since this is an abuse of unbalance and will count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified. Construction of the station without use prior to the 12 minute marker will not count as cheating.

warp in rush isnt op, if u rush for warpin your enemy will be able to handle it, unless you are very lucky and get double steamy.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:8. For Dominion Players, if for however reason you captured an alien constructor early game and have somehow done the Dreadnought rush (since all rounds are FFA, it is possible but unlikely). This will count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified.

lol if u were skilled enough and your enemy stupid enough to:

a) let you steal a con ship, then
b) let you build the mix tech yard, then
c) leave u alone for the mix tech research time, and
d) let you get the resources to build dreads without crippling your economy

then you deserve to win. dread rush is a liability not an exploit.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:9. For Borg players, if you were to rush the cube (finishing the cube as either your first vessel, or before 1 hour ingame). This will be abusing balance issues and will likewise count as cheating. All cheaters will be disqualified.

the same as above applies to the cube. a cube requires more cc and res than u start with. there is no chance your enemy will leave u alone long enough to build a cube as your first ship. even if u try building normally for a while then jumping up to cube it will fail, u wont have enough ships to defend, they will then crush your res long before u have the 7k di and 120cc for cube, not to mention supply.

[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote:13. The Champion of the tournament will have the choice to take on the Community Challenge. If accepted, the Champion and the runner up will then play a 2 vs 6 against 6 losers. If the Champion and the Runner up come victorious, he gets to have himself shown in the Hall of Heroes (displayed in a guide page called the Hall of Fame). If the challenge is lost, or the challenge is denied, the player still gets to be in the Hall of Fame (just not in the Hall of Heroes).

WTF 2v6, even against complete noobs that is a stretch. and thats 8 players, so nobody could observe.
posted on July 4th, 2010, 5:50 am
I dont think gamer mentioned a single 'Real' exploit. 2 vs 6 no way its not possible for 'winners' to win that match-up its bad enough in a 2 vs 3.
posted on July 5th, 2010, 2:49 pm
:lol: wat? people afraid being out numbered 3 to 1? I thought that we had a lots of 1337 players out there. I guess I overestimate the strength of our Masterful players.
posted on July 5th, 2010, 6:36 pm
No, you just underestimate the rest of the players. I don't know anyone who plays regularly online who I would class as terrible, or even bad. After a few games, almost everyone would be good enough to win a 6v2 against ANYONE even the best of the best.

By the way, I really want a tournement :)
posted on July 5th, 2010, 8:08 pm
Last edited by tom on July 5th, 2010, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote: :lol: wat? people afraid being out numbered 3 to 1? I thought that we had a lots of 1337 players out there. I guess I overestimate the strength of our Masterful players.

many good players... one 1337 gamer
posted on July 6th, 2010, 12:37 am
[EXC] 1337_64M3R wrote: :lol: wat? people afraid being out numbered 3 to 1? I thought that we had a lots of 1337 players out there. I guess I overestimate the strength of our Masterful players.

Lulz ... :D

Gamer I think you should be in charge of NASA's first manned trip to Mars.

Because your brain is already drifting through space :lol:
posted on July 6th, 2010, 7:40 am
Last edited by AlternateEnd on July 6th, 2010, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boggz wrote: Lulz ... :D

Gamer I think you should be in charge of NASA's first manned trip to Mars.

Because your brain is already drifting through space :lol:

:lol:.
You make very high targets don't you :P. Perhaps you should be in charge of NASA's manned trip to Jupiter instead.
1, 2