How to make newbies advance in MP?

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on June 18th, 2010, 8:00 pm
Currently many new ppl arrived in tunngle and to be true...they are not very good (of course) and it is no fun to play against them (at least for me). So what to do?

One thing that makes them bad players is the AI battles...they are so different from MP that players switching from AI to MP are not prepared in any way. Any suggestions here?

Another point is microing...many ppl cant do it or dont want to do it. Suggestions?
Same goes for economy...it is difficult to expand while moving ships...

Here is at least my suggestion how to make ppl good faster:
FO needs a singleplayer academy mode.

Something where players can practice certain aspects of the game like microing, counters, special abilities and team play. Is it possible to build maps that can help practicing this? Any ideas?
posted on June 18th, 2010, 8:04 pm
the only thing you need to learn in FO is managing Micro and reading the passives on enemy ship, so you may build a counter for that ship. If the enemy ship does not have any passive, then build a random ship, that is your favorite ship and is cheap/useful.
posted on June 18th, 2010, 8:07 pm
So you'd rather the devs create an entire new "mode" to "teach" new players than taking a little bit of time to help them?  

*Sheesh ...  :rolleyes:

I have to say, Drrrr, that lately you've become a bit elitist in your attitude towards the newer players and even some of the older ones.  I suggest that you just politely allow them to play their games and help whenever you can.  If you don't feel like having a game with newer players, then specifically ask some more veteran players for a game, set one up with a password, and if anyone asks why they can't join just say "I'd like to have a game with just Stardust, Boggz, and yandonman this time", or something like that.  There's nothing unreasonable about that and no one's feelings should be hurt.

I confess that I get frustrated CONSTANTLY playing with new players as well.  We're all human and we don't want to feel like we're dragging extra weight around.  However, that's just gonna happen sometimes.  I got frustrated last night, for sure, but I stayed polite about it and I made sure that everyone knew I was happy to have played because I was! :)

You never HAVE to play the game, you know :).  

The best way for people to get better in multiplayer is to PLAY MULTIPLAYER AGAINST BETTER PEOPLE.
posted on June 18th, 2010, 8:12 pm
Last edited by Tyler on June 18th, 2010, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tutorials that stress the basics, similar to stock, would be useful for new players. Making them is at a similar level to making a proper mission, though.

Suggesting they read the forum/guide should give them all the research they need. After that, it should be easier to practice it when they know what to practice. Established members could then hold 'practice matches' for the newbs to test what they learn.
posted on June 18th, 2010, 8:50 pm
I like the idea of having volunteer veteran players run training matches every so often.  Although, observer doesn't let you communicate with the other players.  Maybe setup a mentor mode for vets with the same qualities as observer but with communications turned on.  But honestly, the experience of playing the game is good enough for me. 
posted on June 18th, 2010, 8:52 pm
A number of us have been considering doing some short (3-5 minute) replays showing specific uses for countering passives and better tactics and such.

Just give us some time ^-^
posted on June 18th, 2010, 9:10 pm
Currently many new ppl arrived in tunngle and to be true...they are not very good (of course) and it is no fun to play against them (at least for me).

With tact like that, you'd make a lousy psychiatrist. ;)  They're new players, just like you were at one time, :thumbsup:  and we should do what we can to make them feel welcome so that they want to get better and have their friends join as well.

As Boggz has mentioned, a great deal of the Hitchhiker's guide will be condensed into a series of youtube videos in the future, which should help players who are just getting started.  Just keep in mind that today's "noob" (I really hate that term) could be tomorrow's veteran player. ^-^
posted on June 18th, 2010, 9:24 pm
I've found that watching the replays have also helped me grasp the game better (although I haven't actually played a match in aaaaaaaaages...... :sweatdrop:)
posted on June 18th, 2010, 9:29 pm
Ok my suggestion: Let them have fun - they will improve like everyone else sooner or later.
posted on June 18th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Mal wrote:Just keep in mind that today's "noob" (I really hate that term) could be tomorrow's veteran player. ^-^

Urban Dictionary: Noob
Defining 'Noob' Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.
posted on June 18th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Someone finally did that research?
posted on June 18th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Yes Mal and I are getting started on a series of videos that will help new players.
posted on June 18th, 2010, 11:57 pm
you should also say that dragging out a game they lost is not fun. and annoying, also makes players not to play with them anymore >_>;
posted on June 19th, 2010, 12:14 am
Arash8472 wrote:you should also say that dragging out a game they lost is not fun. and annoying, also makes players not to play with them anymore >_>;

I don't get it.

If you've lost, how can you drag it out?

If a player is intentionally dragging a game out "cloaked scouts" or whatever, just quit.  Who cares?
posted on June 19th, 2010, 12:20 am
I was a 'new' player, so I played with some level of dedication for what, three days?  Now I'm competent.  All you have to do is be patient, and soon you'll have an entirely new crop of skilled players to enjoy yourself with.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5