Alternative to TeamSpeak Perhaps?

Here you can arrange online encounters and reminisce over past online battles.
1, 2
posted on December 15th, 2011, 10:29 pm
After recent events this may be one my last threads. However I thought this might be of interest to those of you who play online. I know Teamspeak has a lot of issues, most notably when a lot of players are online it makes it hard for others to connect to the channel.

I found this, I haven't tested it as I don't play online much if at all anymore. But some of you may like it, or want to test it out. I don't know if it's a better option or not.

Raidcall is a free,low-latency voice solution for professional gamers.

Raidcall is a free,low-latency voice solution for professional gamers.
Raidcall is specifically designed for group communication, especially for games requiring tight teamwork such as FPS and MMORPG games. It can provide clear voice quality with low latency, with no need to rent servers or set up a server yourself. Raidcall makes group communication easier.
posted on December 15th, 2011, 11:14 pm
I tried it but impossible to test it without multiple people on.

Only took me a few seconds to register and log in and then create a group but i deal with computers every day of my life.

Teaching noobs how to log into team speak is hard enough and that is simple, this maybe beyond some....even with instructions. But it look like a good free alternative.

Attachments

Untitled.jpg
posted on December 16th, 2011, 12:11 am
Hm, the new official server shouldn't have any issues as it is a real server - the server you were logging onto before was not, so that should most likely have been the reason that so many issues were cropping up :)
posted on December 16th, 2011, 12:18 am
When I played Eve Online, the alliance leadership was convinced that TS2 ran faster than TS3, and made everyone use that version instead.  I personally haven't had any problems with TS3, but that Raidcall looks interesting, maybe I'll check it out.  I've always wanted a better ingame overlay to see who's talking.
posted on December 16th, 2011, 1:47 am
I dont know about Raidcall, but I do know that lots of people like using ventrilo over teamspeak.  Ive used it once, a while ago..... Ventrilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
posted on December 16th, 2011, 11:28 am
i could be wrong but have you even been on the new team speak server ????? and befor we jump ship and change over to some thing else i think it would be best to try and solve the problem .....or at least explain what it is .....
posted on December 16th, 2011, 12:09 pm
Last edited by beserene on December 16th, 2011, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majestic wrote:I know Teamspeak has a lot of issues, most notably when a lot of players are online it makes it hard for others to connect to the channel.

I have never seen, noticed, heard of, that issue in the past 10 years.
Could you please explain?

Tryptic wrote:...
I've always wanted a better ingame overlay to see who's talking.

TeamSpeak Addons - Directory
For overlays click on "overlays" on the middle left.
Plenty of other, more or less useful, plugins and programs there as well.

Anyways, some things Teamspeak has, and others, especially raidcall, don't:
- Stable Clients for Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, and your mobile phone.
- Security and feature patches (last stable release of Ventrilo was 3 years ago for an example)
- APIs & Server Query
   > which result to many community made plugins and programs for the server, as well for the client.
   > teamspeak viewer, bots, overlays, fun plugins for your client - see Link above.
- You can host your own server, and start to create synergy effects between websites (or whatever) and your voice server. Shared download pool, user DBs, etc.
- You dont have to rely on a third party hosting for you
   > cloud computing is btw. not a good way to host server for a high reliability / stability enviroment.
- Far more features and especially superior rights management

Of course there are other good candidates, like Ventrilo or Mumble.
Before TS3 i personally would prefered one of those (Vent better latency / quality, mumble due options / quality), but since version 3, TS is the only one that offers all those things, and more.

Hope i could clarify a bit why the majority of voice servers are teamspeak.
(ofc. there are a lot of Ventrilo or Mumble ones around - both are quite neat as well).

Edit & P.S.: i actually tested raidcall.
posted on May 12th, 2012, 4:37 am
Could Skype be a valid alternative to teamspeak?  Alot of gamers are using skype these days also ventrilo is a comparable program to teamspeak.

Or you Could go old School and use mIRC  :thumbsup:
posted on May 12th, 2012, 10:22 am
Why would you need an alternative?

If its not broke don't fix it! :thumbsup:
posted on May 12th, 2012, 4:02 pm
the same probably applied for teamspeak 2, since it still was the de facto standard amongst players over several years, despite some alternatives existed. however most if those alternatives i tried back then weren't that reliable compared to teamspeak 2 ...or weren't used widespread elsewhere.
ts3 in my eyes is the best voice chat for online gaming available as of now, so currently no reason to offer something else fo FO players.
of course it is up to everyone to use alternatives like skype, though skype of course wasn't especially designed for online gaming.
posted on May 12th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Yeah, you can have with its fancy "gimmicks" and "pretty" interface for kiddies and girls or you can have teamspeak, which is the simplistic, well working hax0r thing for talking around!  B)
posted on May 12th, 2012, 8:39 pm
lol ts3 is a "haxor thing" :lol:

ts3 has a perfectly fine gui, and it's not even complicated.
posted on May 13th, 2012, 1:07 am
Cronicus wrote:Could Skype be a valid alternative to teamspeak? 

Nope.

Alot of gamers are using skype these days

I don't know any gamer (or clan) who uses it for gaming.
Skype doesn't offer a 24/7 running server sided communication tool for everyone. You can make groups for chat of course, but somebody would always have to invite you there first, and then host the speech communication part - if he drops, the whole conversation drops. Skype is designed as an IM with a VoIP solution, nothing else.

also ventrilo is a comparable program to teamspeak.

Please read my above post.

Or you Could go old School and use mIRC  :thumbsup:

mIRC is just a client, if you mean IRC, then i would say: let's go real old school, and use the usenet again  :rolleyes:
posted on May 13th, 2012, 6:39 am
Myles wrote:lol ts3 is a "haxor thing" :lol:

ts3 has a perfectly fine gui, and it's not even complicated.

Simple, easy to use, no bullshit graphics, customizable: Hax0r!!! :borg:
posted on May 13th, 2012, 10:14 am
beserene wrote:mIRC is just a client, if you mean IRC, then i would say: let's go real old school, and use the usenet again  :rolleyes:

not oldschool enough, need to use postcards.

Beef wrote:Simple, easy to use, no bullshit graphics, customizable: Hax0r!!! :borg:

that's pretty ridiculous, good software design isn't about being "haxor" or anything else other than good software design.
1, 2