Variety: Spice of Victory

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 3:32 am
Now that the Akira is no longer a defensive stalwart, does that mean it will gain a new offense-oriented active ability?
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 4:13 am
Tyler wrote:Not always good to use 'canon' so quickly, canon also has people trust Troi to pilot a starship...

Oh god, riker is bad enough... Let the damn mental health worker pilot the flagship...  :pinch:
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 7:56 am
The Sovereign has been reworked a lot and now serves a special role, much closer to the very flexible flag ship it should be. More about her in a future newspost  ^-^
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 10:01 am
Optec wrote:The Sovereign has been reworked a lot and now serves a special role, much closer to the very flexible flag ship it should be. More about her in a future newspost  ^-^

:wub:
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 10:42 am
Nice, a proper Federation flagship. this patch has me salivating. I wonder if this keyboard is waterproof?  :D
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 10:58 am
kainalu wrote:Nice, a proper Federation flagship. this patch has me salivating. I wonder if this keyboard is waterproof?  :D

you should get one of those keyboards you can wash under the taps, if only for the reason that you can then tell people you wash your keyboard under the taps like a baws.

my keyboard has a liquid safety margin of 60ml, although some people tested it with more and it worked once dry.

monsoon steals akira special, please don't let the akira steal a scaled up proxy torp, last thing we need is a bunch of late game ships with the ability to claim kills at will like that.
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 1:13 pm
Keep the details coming. So much good to come. I personally have started to wonder if each race will have a "Flagship" like the new role for the Sovereign. Tavara, Negh'var, Dreadnought, Command Cube, etc. Just wondering. :whistling:
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 1:44 pm
It's not as if I'd be an hater but... doesnt the new autotargeting-mechanic mean micromanagement will be clicking on units that are not targeted first for the most part? not as if it wouldn't be like it that now :D
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 3:16 pm
Essentially yes, but I think that is the point. The problem before was the defensive ships were almost useless because they had such high defense that they were never auto-targeted when juicy offensive ships were nearby and didn't do as much damage either. As a generalisation, it was often optimal to either exclusively build defensive ships or leave them out.

This new system promotes mixed fleets like nothing else.
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 4:12 pm
The current system works right, with ships only targeting your defensive ships.  That's because all the good players are careful to ONLY mix their fleets that way and to ignore ships like the Sovereign.  This new patch will allow us to get the same effect with a much broader set of ships and less memorization and hassle.  I hate it when one of the skills for new players to learn is which ships to not use.
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 4:59 pm
Tryptic wrote: I hate it when one of the skills for new players to learn is which ships to not use.

Very true. Personally I like to read all sorts of things, so keeping up with the Offensive/Defensive values of the ships classes was not a problem for me. All that tedious reading was too much for most players though. AND now I can spend less time reading and more time playing.
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm
I have to agree with that.  I only play sporadically, and it's pretty annoying to have to relearn everything because some ships are no longer useful, etc.
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 6:20 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on February 3rd, 2012, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
their currently is tanking, but not as much, and it's based mainly on offensive value and how a ship "feels".

kbqs technically have a lower defensive value than sangs and kvorts, and hence currently tanks for them, but the kbq is much easier to cloak out than those, it has durable subsystems and isn't as expensive. but if you were new to the game, you might not think of that tanking mix.

the new profiles seem much more transparent for the new players (undoubtedly this is the intention). i'm assuming kbq will get the def profile and brels will be off. so kbqs will now tank for brels, and this will be obvious due to the kbq having the def profile. it's a big change, and requires experienced players to forget a few old facts, but the new stuff sounds easy for anyone, even pros to learn.

one complaint is that the sovvie is a defensive beast but if it's not alone, it will always be last to get shot at due to that fact, so it couldn't serve the purpose of tanking (it could serve other purposes), this sort of confusion should go, a defensively strong ship with the def profile will tank, which is great.
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 11:29 pm
Oh this is going to be so much fun!
posted on February 4th, 2012, 2:57 am
I'm a bit worried about this new targetting system....it basically means your going to be helpless if you have to retreat you can't change targets on the move right now or you'll just stop maybe some thought should be given towards that or this patch is doomed for failure.
1, 2, 3