Star Wars Fleet Operations

1, 2, 3
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 2:18 am
Hey guys, just as a heads up, The Beta just went live on MSFC.  You will have to be a current member of MSFC to download the beta, but the 1.0 will be released everywhere, so don't worry if you aren't a member.  I don't have a release date for the 1.0 yet, but I hope to finish it by the end of the year. 

So keep on the look out! SW:FO is on its way. :woot:

MSFC - Sci-fi and Gaming
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 2:34 am
Nice work, downloaded and going to play with it over the next few days :)
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 2:41 am
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Nice work, downloaded and going to play with it over the next few days :)

Awesome, I hope you can help me with my bugs. :sweatdrop:
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 2:55 am
Yup, absolutely will try and see if I know what's happening there :)
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm
Pictures PLEASE!
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 3:57 pm
feel free to chose a free hosting service and post a link here :) sounds interesting
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 4:01 pm
Well, this is just the beta, and I have chosen MSFC to the be the beta site, however when the full version is done I will of course post it here. :blush:

Attachments

FOScreenShot_111214_104333.png
FOScreenShot_111214_104702.png
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 5:17 pm
definitely worth a look at when it's done.
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 5:27 pm
At this point, gameplay is pretty simple and games don't last very long, but I hope to change that in future versions. ^-^  Either way, I think you guys will enjoy it.
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 10:12 pm
Looks fantastic, though i noticed the pulses are reminiscent of stock fed pulse cannons.
posted on December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 pm
Those are not. :D  Those I made from scratch.  Though, sod based weapons were causing a lot of lag in multiplayer, so I swapped them for sprite based ones which seem to help. ^-^
posted on December 23rd, 2011, 5:47 am
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on December 23rd, 2011, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
From my testing, I'm pretty sure it's not the SOD based weapons: the problem is you aren't using LODs with any of your textures.

Frame rate reductions are enormous, with even just 1-3 big ships on screen, not to mention 10-20 fighters. If you LOD up the (already huge) textures, you'll remove most of that frame rate reduction :). Models and Textures - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Fleet Operations

For weird fighter movement: I think that replacementmaintainorders = 1 should not be present on your fighters replaceweapon, as they appear to be remembering the movement orders of the mother craft, and cause some weird issues some time - they will also remember the attack orders, which may not be desired (as they will attempt to attack the craft that the mother was attacking before).

For weird attacking issues: You should scale your attack value of the capital ships to be far higher than the fighters in my opinion (or at least equal) - Craft - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Fleet Operations . Right now, the reason your/AI's capital ships stop firing as soon as fighters are on the field is because the fighters are much higher target priority: the capital ship wants to target them, but cannot in most cases, and so they don't fire at all. (I think there will still be problems after doing this - for your fighters - , but it should be much less)

If you really really want to make sure that your fighters ONLY attack other fighters, you can kind of cheat: have the main weapon of your fighters be a weapon that places a u-ball, which fires your fighter-type weapons at only other fighters (using valid targets). This way, even if the fighters prefer to try and target enemy capital ships, they will only ever fire on enemy fighters (better said: their u-ball weapon will only fire on them).

I'm still looking into the warp in issue, but haven't done that much experimentation yet  :pinch:. Were there any other issues that you know of that you had questions/concerns about?

EDIT: it really seems that the warp in issues result when the warpinspeed is too fast really (it exacerbates all the other physics effects): is it really that painful just to make ships pop out of hyperspace-like effect? It would have a much better handling, and I don't think it would look bad personally  :sweatdrop:
posted on December 23rd, 2011, 3:22 pm
Wheres the download then?
posted on December 23rd, 2011, 8:08 pm
Probably on MSFC.
posted on December 23rd, 2011, 8:20 pm
@ MrXT

The beta is only available at MSFC atm, but the full version will be available everywhere when it is done.

Dominus_Noctis wrote:From my testing, I'm pretty sure it's not the SOD based weapons: the problem is you aren't using LODs with any of your textures.

Frame rate reductions are enormous, with even just 1-3 big ships on screen, not to mention 10-20 fighters. If you LOD up the (already huge) textures, you'll remove most of that frame rate reduction :). Models and Textures - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Fleet Operations

That sounds like a plan.  Starfox was going to show me how but if there is a section in the guide on it I should be able to do it myself. :thumbsup:

Dominus_Noctis wrote:For weird fighter movement: I think that replacementmaintainorders = 1 should not be present on your fighters replaceweapon, as they appear to be remembering the movement orders of the mother craft, and cause some weird issues some time - they will also remember the attack orders, which may not be desired (as they will attempt to attack the craft that the mother was attacking before).

I'll try removing that to see how that works. :thumbsup:  

Dominus_Noctis wrote:For weird attacking issues: You should scale your attack value of the capital ships to be far higher than the fighters in my opinion (or at least equal) - Craft - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Fleet Operations . Right now, the reason your/AI's capital ships stop firing as soon as fighters are on the field is because the fighters are much higher target priority: the capital ship wants to target them, but cannot in most cases, and so they don't fire at all. (I think there will still be problems after doing this - for your fighters - , but it should be much less)

Yeah, this one is tricky because capital ships can't shoot fighters or fighters capital ships.  If I do it your way, at least the enemy bombers might fire, and the capital ships will put up a fight.  I suppose it is worth the sacrifice.

Dominus_Noctis wrote:If you really really want to make sure that your fighters ONLY attack other fighters, you can kind of cheat: have the main weapon of your fighters be a weapon that places a u-ball, which fires your fighter-type weapons at only other fighters (using valid targets). This way, even if the fighters prefer to try and target enemy capital ships, they will only ever fire on enemy fighters (better said: their u-ball weapon will only fire on them).

Yeah, I think it too much trouble tbh.  It will work fine in multiplayer, so I will live with it.

Dominus_Noctis wrote:
EDIT: it really seems that the warp in issues result when the warpinspeed is too fast really (it exacerbates all the other physics effects): is it really that painful just to make ships pop out of hyperspace-like effect? It would have a much better handling, and I don't think it would look bad personally  :sweatdrop:

Well, I could fix the problem, but it seems that when I make them instantly jump to the point, the warp out sound disappears. :(  I will continue to tinker with it.
1, 2, 3