Roots mod has been released!

1, 2
posted on July 22nd, 2019, 5:31 pm
rifraf wrote:Are you thinking you have a ship or station ready and resources ready and it's in place, but the game is just not building something for unknown reasons?

Yes, exactly this, and it's always a station. I'm guessing it has something to do with the AI getting interrupted, like something blocking a building location (though I've seen the AI handle this properly sometimes) or a construction ship getting destroyed while building or while underway to build something and then the replacement construction ship doesn't take over the build order.

But these are just guesses: I know the build lists are fine since the AI builds everything most of the time.
posted on July 22nd, 2019, 8:42 pm
Well, you know it works so it has to be one of the issues you stated. I get that all the time in my AI testing. The AI can sometimes be 2 items behind when progressing through it's build list. Like I get it listing a freighter as being produced next in line, but it says no producer because the con ship hasn't even built the mining station yet. It's triggered to build the station, but is en route to the build location
posted on July 24th, 2019, 4:58 pm
Tryptic wrote:Cloaking seemed to be almost useless when cloak detection is this powerful, although some of that is just the fact that the AI builds so many scouts. It would be helpful to have some visual indicator of how far cloak detection extends; maybe put the tachyon pings back on the ships visually even if their detection is always active.

The 1.1 patch will have a detection range (using the visiblerange command) when you hover the cursor over the detection subsystem. Normal effects, like the ping effect are ugly because they tend to trail behind a moving scout. I've resorted to using a static overlaysod for sensor arrays (just a blueish circle, based on a modified, hexedited version of the effect_progscan.sod file) and there's an easy option in the patch to put this on scouts as well (you just have to rename a texture file). This is completely optional since it doesn't affect multiplayer compatibility.

Tryptic wrote:There is a line that goes in weapon odf files that determines "when the ship is set to medium/high movement autonomy, and it fires this weapon or the player gives an attack command, turn the ship to face the target". This line seems to be missing from your weapons, as I noticed my Romulan ships facing away from the enemy and not turning to face them unless I gave a move command.

Which command is that? I haven't been able to find this in the guide. I vaguely remember experimenting with something like "turntofacetarget = 1" or something similar, but now I can't find it in the guide and I seem to remember that it didn't work anyway...
posted on July 25th, 2019, 5:08 pm
rifraf wrote:Well, you know it works so it has to be one of the issues you stated. I get that all the time in my AI testing. The AI can sometimes be 2 items behind when progressing through it's build list. Like I get it listing a freighter as being produced next in line, but it says no producer because the con ship hasn't even built the mining station yet. It's triggered to build the station, but is en route to the build location

Yeah...

I did find I had two entries in my build lists set to start tech level one (both the first two construction ships had it, so maybe the AI went bonkers if the second construction ship had to be rebuilt), so I fixed that and I put the checkTechnologyAvailable parameter back to 0, thinking that might add some stability. I've observed a few test games on maps where the AI seemed to run into the above problem more often and nothing has been going wrong so far since the changes to the build lists, so I either solved it or made it less likely to happen, either way it's a win :lol:
posted on July 26th, 2019, 3:44 pm
posted on July 30th, 2019, 1:00 am

A 1000 thanks.
1, 2