FO4 - Sortta

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
posted on March 21st, 2022, 7:38 pm
Thanks for the help so far.

I've read that FO4 changes how replaceweapons work. In what way exactly?
I've found some very strange behavior from these weapons, which is rather bad because my mod uses a lot of them...
For example, previously it was possible to replace one thing with multiple ones. I managed to create three ships from one this way. This doesn't seem to work any more, one thing can be replaced into exactly one another.
But what is more weird that the weapon seems to be somewhat selective what to replace and what not to replace. For example, I have an Uball with a weapon that replaces ships with their refit variants. So far it worked, I managed to refit several ships from several classes, but now in some cases it simply refuses to work. It's like it is skipping some entries but I can't figure out, why.

Is it possible that the replaceweapons follow the techtree and it's only replaces things when you have the techs required for the replacing vessel? If yes, is there a way to override this?
posted on March 21st, 2022, 8:09 pm
k_merse wrote:Is it possible that the replaceweapons follow the techtree and it's only replaces things when you have the techs required for the replacing vessel? If yes, is there a way to override this?

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. I had the same thing with my Cardassian mobile defense platform. The solution is to add the thing it's supposed to be replaced by into the techtree. I don't know of any way to override that but also can't think of a scenario where you would absolutely need to override it anyway since you can make it race dependent in the techtree.
posted on March 22nd, 2022, 12:03 pm
yh as JanB said replaceweapon now follows the techtree which allows some cool stuff like if you give all units a replace weapons that activates if owened by a specific race works well for improving assimilation for example
posted on March 22nd, 2022, 6:49 pm
I've got a question for both of you. Is there a way to make a special weapon a toggle weapon? Or is that hardcoded in the classlabel? I'm trying to make it so that a ship can toggle a special weapon that is a deathchant areacannon that fires every second and lasts only a second so basically it mimicks a rangedobjectaffector (which can't be given a decent visual effect: weaponenhancer wave is fugly, no matter what texture you use, visibly trail the ship and are constantly expanding and contracting so it's unclear which surrounding ships are in range, and the cyclecolor effects looks different on different ships, depending on their sod model and many of those models are incompatible with the sod importer/exporter for 3ds max). I'm fine with it being done through a replacementweapon.
posted on March 23rd, 2022, 12:14 am
posted on March 23rd, 2022, 12:42 pm
Ah, yes, I read about that, but it seems limited to weapons that are specifically designed for it, like the holding beam, or I'm missing something. Using it with a death chant as ordnance just fires the death chant once.
posted on March 23rd, 2022, 8:35 pm
How about just dropping an Uball with the weapon you want to trigger?
posted on March 23rd, 2022, 10:28 pm
Can it spawn uballs continuously while the weapon is active?
posted on March 24th, 2022, 8:53 am
not sure its been years since i messed around with it
posted on March 24th, 2022, 8:41 pm
Oh well, doesn't seem possible...

Btw, I found another FO 4.0 bug. Not that anyone can really fix it, since the programmers have gone into retirement and the dll is checksum protected, but when you open the map options as an observer (CTRL+E, then CTRL+R) the game crashes. It works fine when you're any other race, and observers could do this in 3.2.7.
posted on March 25th, 2022, 2:48 pm
JanB wrote:Can it spawn uballs continuously while the weapon is active?

Dropping one preiodically would do the trick? I'm pretty sure it's possible. Or the Uballs could just have a replaceweapon that replace itself U1 to U2 to U3 to U4 etc. and each could release a burst of boost.
posted on March 28th, 2022, 12:14 am
k_merse wrote:
JanB wrote:Can it spawn uballs continuously while the weapon is active?

Dropping one preiodically would do the trick? I'm pretty sure it's possible. Or the Uballs could just have a replaceweapon that replace itself U1 to U2 to U3 to U4 etc. and each could release a burst of boost.

Didn't work, as in you can't toggle that. I could in theory do it by making the toggle button replace the ship, but then I'd have to add a new ship to all the weapons, techtrees, etc... and it's not necessary anymore because adding bump maps to the models solved the ugly wave effect from rangedobjectaffectors., though that also introduces z-fighting in some models, nothing too bad though.
posted on March 28th, 2022, 12:18 am
Found another FO4 bug.

Normally build caps get checked as soon as construction begins, but if you save and load during construction this count doesn't get saved, so you could exploit this to go over the build cap. Unfortunately it seems FO4 doesn't allow switching back to the old system: fleetcap odfs get ignored, even when you force an old .tt (instead of xml) techtree.
posted on March 31st, 2022, 10:10 am
Did anynone ever figure out what fleetAIRatio does (if anything) in an AIP?
posted on April 2nd, 2022, 12:56 am
I'm trying to remember way back, but I think Freyr surmised that it made the AI group it's ships or group them better. Try .01 vs 1.0 vs 10? To me it sounds logical to assume a higher value makes the AI use fleets vs sending less ships, but nothing about the personality parameters is terribly intuitive because you'd think it would conflict with the min, max force matching lines. Maybe it has something to do with after the scheduler program determines which squads to commit to each goal it combines multiple squads or "fleets?"
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6