Need help debug a mod crash

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on November 27th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Hello,
I've made a mod based on Super Classic, adding Cardassian and Dominion into it with special weapons and tech tree. Not a big project, just for fun. But there is a problem: If AI plays Klingon, there's a high possibility crash when Commando team is used. I'm aware of the missing sound and already added sound files back but it still crashes. Hope if any one is still around can help, thank you very much!

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/JA4FRIhR#w8p-jlKmV ... OAuD83p7o8
This mod is for test only. Not a formal public release.

Credit:
Super Classic mod - cabal
Hideki, defense platform - Deemon
Galor, Keldon - Nine of nine/conversion by Tycoon
Monac station, Tonga - Wrath of Achilles
Norin, Hutet - Aad Moreman

Please do not use the buttons, mini images, system backgrounds in other mods.

Attachments

debug.png
debug.png (34.35 KiB) Viewed 677 times
posted on December 6th, 2020, 8:56 pm
The Stack Dump tab would be more useful...
posted on December 7th, 2020, 12:44 am
Hello, stack dump screenshot is attached. Thank you.
It seems easier to reproduce if I increase game speed. Not sure if it's related.

Attachments

stack.PNG
stack.PNG (32.73 KiB) Viewed 620 times
posted on December 7th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Uhhh... That would require some serious playtesting. Could be a million things. Maybe the engine doesn't like the animation (would explain the connection to game speed). Or maybe it's something to do with the target. For example if the target levels up while it's affected that could cause a crash. Even if it doesn't levels up but uses a replaceweapon.
My suggestion would be to test as much as you can with simple things. One Klingon vessel vs one constructor ship in the map editor.
Try to reproduce the crash as many times as possible until you find a pattern in the crashes. Other than that... Well, this is a 20 years old game engine modified by a team of enthusiasts. Some crashes happen...
posted on December 7th, 2020, 8:37 pm
The Klingon Commando Team's ordnance appears to be hardcoded so when it captures a unit, the unit ends up with a "klingon" crew. The original A2's Klingons were, of course, coded as klingon.

Super Classic's Klingons are coded as "klingonempire" instead, like FleetOps' Klingons. I'd guess that units captured by the Klingon Commando Team are ending up with a crew of a technically non-existent race, which would likely cause a crash.
posted on December 8th, 2020, 1:32 pm
Admiral Nat wrote:The Klingon Commando Team's ordnance appears to be hardcoded so when it captures a unit, the unit ends up with a "klingon" crew. The original A2's Klingons were, of course, coded as klingon.

Super Classic's Klingons are coded as "klingonempire" instead, like FleetOps' Klingons. I'd guess that units captured by the Klingon Commando Team are ending up with a crew of a technically non-existent race, which would likely cause a crash.

Thank you! I've replaced "klingonempire" with "klingon" and made some necessary modifications. So far it doesn't crash any more, but I will keep checking.
Thank you very much!