Roots Mod 3.0 has been released

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on January 17th, 2023, 1:56 pm
Last edited by JanB on May 14th, 2023, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just released version 3.0 of the Roots mod. It comes with many (bug) fixes and improvements, including 3 new single player missions. It now has 19 original single player missions, 1 bonus mission that's a remake of the first Armada I mission, and 4 of the missions are multiple missions in one because you get to choose from 2 or 3 races (with different starting positions) at the start of the mission.

The mod's main page can be found here here, and a direct download link here
posted on February 3rd, 2023, 8:33 pm
Ill be giving this a go very soon, thanks for more content!!!
posted on April 8th, 2023, 4:41 am
Hey there, I saw the new version on ModDB and checked it out. I think tutorials are very important, and should be the next thing I add to my own mod. Here's a few notes:

The gameplay turorial has a few issues: in the objective screen it says "Tutorial: Economy" and the objectives for cloaking the Vorcha and destroying the Serkas don't seem to work.

In the Economy tutorial, researching Improved Shielding doesn't complete the objective

There's a visual bug with the rally cursor: it's been cut off a little on the right side

===UI stuff I want to steallearn===

How did you get the game to display the cooldown effect on special weapon buttons?

How did you make it display the little image showing what a producer has been ordered to produce?

How did you make it display a white line from the shipyard to the rally point?
posted on April 8th, 2023, 10:20 am
Last edited by JanB on April 8th, 2023, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, I'm doing a (hopefully) final revision of the mod now, upgrading the Dominion's textures/models (the stock models/textures just aren't up to par with the rest of the mod and it's been really hard finding good alternatives but I finally scraped together enough of them) and hunting down the last issues/bugs. So thanks for catching these for me!

I can't seem to reproduce the issue with the Serkas/cloaking Vor'cha though, what happened exactly for you?

As for your questions:

The cooldown effect on the buttons, for the antimatter mine on the Romulan Griffin I set a shotdelay in the weapon odf, for the special stations (like the Borg Transmission Node) I set the specialenergydisplaymode to 2, but for some weapons it happens unintentionally, maybe because of the FO 4.0 engine.

The little building images are a FO 4.0 feature, I think, you can set their size in the RTS_CFG file (producer wireframe size). Same with the rally point lines, they come with FO 4.0.
posted on April 8th, 2023, 4:55 pm
Aha, so these are FO 4.0 features then. In that case, where did you get the starting version of 4.0 that you used? And did you encounter any bugs or crashes related to it? I never transitioned to it for fear of finding an unresolved bug and having to convert back to 3.2.7, but Roots seems quite stable.

I went back and tested the tutorials again, and this time I was able to complete the Gameplay tutorial. There seems to be some kind of delay with the new objectives being added. For example, this time I sent the Enterprise E through the wormholes immediately, skipping the voiceover. When the game got to the part with the Vorcha, I had to wait about a minute before the objectives were added. I think maybe in my first playthrough, it would have detected the cloaked Vorcha and destroyed Serkas if I had waited a few minutes.
posted on April 8th, 2023, 8:15 pm
I got FO 4.0 from this link (by Blade), I don't know if there's a more recent version version but I've never come across one.

In the tutorial it should register an objective as completed even before the voiceover has finished or the objective has been shown to you so you can rush through them, does that not work in your case?

I had to switch to FO 4.0 because 3.2.7 doesn't have save and load buttons in the menus so I couldn't make singleplayer missions feasible that way.

There are some issues with FO 4.0. I remember one of the blocking trigger odfs had a value of less than 1 for the number of asteroids in them (they're technically asteroid fields), which crashed most maps, but you can just change that odf, it was a pain tracking it down to that specific odf file though. There is also a bug with tech upgrades, I got around that by having dummy pods that you can research spawn the actual upgrade objects with a replaceweapon. Tech trees and build caps also work differently in 4.0, though the old .tt tech trees still are supported and I don't fully remember how optional it was to switch to .xml tech trees. One thing that's annoying about 4.0 is that you won't see tooltips on objects belonging to other players anymore, not even allies. You still get the health stats and the class of the vessel, but won't get to see tooltip stuff like the DPS or the shiptype (berserker, destroyer, etc...) You also have to manually set the shield bubble scale in the RTS_CFG file or everything will look really ugly.

As for stability I do get random crashes once in a while but don't really get the sense they're more common than with FO 3.2.7 or the original A2.

I think some opportunities were missed with FO 4.0: it's really a shame we didn't at least get an option to have fullscreen menus (especially on high res modern and future monitors), or an RTS_CFG parameter to scale down the rotation speed of nebulas.
posted on April 8th, 2023, 10:56 pm
That's a big oof with the tooltips. Tooltips are such a big part of the game for new players.

I've found myself salivating over the UI improvements, and the ability to make stations snap to a grid. And I had forgotten about the lack of savr/load buttons in 3.2.7. I wonder if it would be possible to create a version of TM that works in both the 3.2.7 and 4.0 base versions.
posted on April 23rd, 2023, 5:11 pm
Used to add my own Ships in to Fleet Ops and used to be relatively decent at it. I can't for the life of me remember where I used to find the Model Files to add them in?

Anyone any help?
posted on April 29th, 2023, 2:18 pm
You can find ships (.sod models and .tga textures) on sites like armadafiles and filefront. But honestly the easiest way is to just get them from mods like Roots, Fleet Ops Remastered, and Dominion Wars.
posted on December 20th, 2023, 3:05 am
I can't play this mod. It crashes as soon as I move the mouse. Some kind of display error?
posted on December 28th, 2023, 10:41 am
I don't know, it's the same graphics engine as stock Fleet Ops. Does stock Fleet Ops work for you? And do you get an error message?