Need help with my mod

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on April 29th, 2023, 9:08 pm
Hi, i'm making my first STA2 Fleet Ops mod.
I'm trying to make it more realistic. For example, currently ships often explode before having even one subsystem damaged, i "fixed" that by increasing ships hp, hp regen, shields and shields regen.
However reapairs made by the yard are just way too fast. Starship battles last longer now and i feel it's wrong that you can shoot one ship for a minute and then it can be repaired in your yard in a few seconds.
I would like to slow down repairs made by yards but i can't find required value anywhere.
I managed to slow down subsystems repairs and noticed that yards repair mechanics works by multiplying existing ships hp and shields regeneration but can't find that multiplication value anywhere.
Please, someone help me i already wasted 2 days looking for this :(

Short question: How to decrease repair speed in yards?
posted on April 30th, 2023, 2:48 am
It's in the race odfs, for example "romulan.odf"

The command is called repairstrength and the default is 5, which is 5x the default shield/hull/subsystem repair rate. You can change it for each race independently, but it's probably best to keep them all the same.
posted on April 30th, 2023, 2:58 am
Thank you for fast answer.
I tried this. However it only affected subsystems repair speed :(
What's more what i have read is that the higher number the slower ships repair:
https://armadamodding.fandom.com/wiki/ODF_-_Race_Files
"repairStrenght - This defines how fast the race repairs, the larger the number the slower they repair."

I will try decreasing this number. Maybe in Fleet Ops it works differently... But i doubt it will help, because increasing this value by a lot (from 5 to 100) didn't change hull/shield repair speed at all and only slowed down subsystems repairs.
posted on April 30th, 2023, 2:52 pm
Decreasing this value increases subsystems repair speed. :/
posted on April 30th, 2023, 9:29 pm
Ah, it was different from what I expected. :sweatdrop: Subsystem repair values are all inverted: it's the number of seconds that it takes to repair 1 hitpoint. In 3.2.7, most subsystems take 1 second for 1 hitpoint, while Destroyers repair at half speed. So a light cruiser takes around 45 seconds, while battleships take more like 2 minutes. These numbers are multiplied by yard repair.

If that number is a global modifier, it's probably multiplicative. Setting it to 2.5 would double subsystem repair rates while 10 would halve them. I've never changed it directly myself however.

If for example you wanted to change every ship to repair in 60 seconds, you'd need to run a formula that sets subrepairrate = 60/subhitpoints for every ship. Also the Borg have their own, faster rates defined for each ship: their weapons in particular repair almost instantly in 3.2.7.
posted on April 30th, 2023, 11:40 pm
by stating subrepairrate you mean repairstrength in <race>.odf or for example enginesrepairtime in <ship/station>/odf file?

Maybe i dont understand something, but this still doesn't help me. I know how to change subsystems repair rate but just don't know how to change hull and shields regeneration rate when repairing in the yard.

I only know that it works by multiplying healthrate and shieldrate by some value, but i just can't find this value anywhere. Subsystem repair rate is something completly different and for now i don't want to change it (probably will later).

PS. Thank you for helping me :wub:
posted on May 1st, 2023, 1:19 pm
Can't you go the opposite route? Lower the hitpoints for the subsystems and increase the hitpercent values?
posted on May 1st, 2023, 5:46 pm
haha sorry, I got off topic.

Subsystem repair rate seems to be a combination of the entry in the file (enginesrepairtime) and the global value (repairstrength)

If repairstrength doesn't change the speed of yards repairing shields/hull, then I don't know where (or if it's possible) to change that. The simplest answer is to lower the hullrate and shield rate of the ships: they'll recover more slowly in the field, and also take longer in the yard.

If you want to be thematic, you could keep the shield regen rate up and only lower the hull rate. That way a ship with no hull damage repairs quickly in the yard, but hull damage takes much longer.
posted on May 1st, 2023, 6:41 pm
JanB wrote:Can't you go the opposite route? Lower the hitpoints for the subsystems and increase the hitpercent values?

I could do that but i think that increasing just shields and hull was much easier. But even if i did it as you describe it i would still like to decrease repair speed as much as i want it now (to achieve longer battles i would have to decrease weapons strenght when starting a game)
posted on May 1st, 2023, 6:48 pm
Tryptic wrote:haha sorry, I got off topic.

Subsystem repair rate seems to be a combination of the entry in the file (enginesrepairtime) and the global value (repairstrength)

If repairstrength doesn't change the speed of yards repairing shields/hull, then I don't know where (or if it's possible) to change that. The simplest answer is to lower the hullrate and shield rate of the ships: they'll recover more slowly in the field, and also take longer in the yard.

If you want to be thematic, you could keep the shield regen rate up and only lower the hull rate. That way a ship with no hull damage repairs quickly in the yard, but hull damage takes much longer.

Yep, this is probably what i will do in the end. However this still won't fix problem that ships repairing in the yard are invincible - they will be defended by impenetrable very fast reloading shield while just repairing slower.