How to enlarge the range of fed pulse platform?

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 2:26 pm
As I only play federation faction, I noticed soon something I would consider as a bug:
pulse /quantum pulse platform is in fact useless, because the range is so low that almost every ship can ttack the platform due to their longer weapons range. So it makes no sense to keep the range that low, because the platfom type is already far weaker than the other two.

How can I (easily) change the range?

thx,
the guitar-man
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 2:38 pm
i think the range is like 1200 or something but as most ship have kind of close to that range 900 to 1100 or something you have get ships in that very small place where there just out of range.

But yea would be nice if they had more range then there be a reason to try fight ship at range but there not really at mo as they only have a very little more range then most ship kind of hard to keep them in the small place where the platform can fire and the ship can't fire at the platform.

P.S ship are just better then platform anyhow don't for get platform can't move and if your fight vs a human they will hit you where there no platform and when they have more ship then there hit you where the platform is and if you build a platform where you didnt have one when he first hit you he will end up with many more ships and he not using dill/tri on platform that can't MOVE :D

platform vs AI = good
platform vs human = bad

And if you wanna change the range just use the platform ODF and under the range where i think it say 1200 make that number bigger and it will have more range.
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 2:44 pm
thanky for your reply, TMO :)

But I'm not entirely sure what you wanna tell me? ;)

In fact, all my puls platforms are usually destroyed by enemy ships WITHOUT FIRERING A SINGLE shot. Just because the range of those ships is obviously longer the the range of pulse platform.

so, I found alerady a bunge of ODF's, but I have no idea which one to edit and in what way exactly.
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 4:26 pm
You want to edit fedW_platform_pulse1.odf and increase the value for range at the bottom of the file. The Guide has a detailed modding section if you want to learn how to mod. And, of course, ask questions if you're not sure. This page explains how the team named the files.
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 4:39 pm
thanks a lot, cabal!! :) :)

I will test it very soon.

Will this change effecting to both avatars?
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 6:29 pm
Yes, it will. Can't play online with it though since everyone needs to have matching ODFs.
posted on January 22nd, 2017, 7:44 pm
Here's a few things to add:

1. Actually the two avatars have separate turrets, so you will need to change both fedW_platform_pulse1.odf and fedW_platform_pulseZ1.odf

2. This will not change the profile of the turret. So you may have a long-range pulse platform, but ships with passives against Medium range will get their bonus against it and ships with passives against Long range will not.

3. the ranges are
Short: 400
Medium: 600
Long: 800

4. You should check out Tryptic's Mod. One of the balance changes I made was to give the Pulse platform increased rate of fire. Since the 2 Avatars have different firing patterns, I made Risner's pulse platform fire 8 rapid shots and then recharge for almost 20 seconds, while Mayson's pulse platform starts firing slow and speeds up until it spews pulses really fast.

5. On that note, development on Tryptic's Mod is starting up again this weekend, so look for a new version to be released tomorrow :thumbsup: One of the things on my list is to remove the different firing patterns so that Mayson and Risner have the same turret layout that is easier to remember.