Setting AI to Player team in missions

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
posted on January 24th, 2019, 8:21 pm
I was editing a mission map from the single player, and I wanted to add a new faction to the map and set the faction to the same team as the Player. Whenever I test the map however, the new AI and player ships and stations attack eachother regardless of team, apparent team, or ctrl+R start position team settings. What am I missing?
posted on April 23rd, 2021, 10:04 pm
I am still looking for an answer to this problem. If anyone has an answer please let me know.
posted on February 26th, 2022, 10:43 am
For anyone reading this:

The answer is this can't be done in the map editor, those team settings just don't work. The map editor is a buggy/incomplete gift to the modders, not the tool the original creators of Armada II used to make the game. You have to do it by setting player relations in a .lua script, for example:

Player( 1 ):setRelation( Player( 3 ), Player.Relation.Ally )
Player( 3 ):setRelation( Player( 1 ), Player.Relation.Ally )

You can do this right at the start of the main script, for example in the init function of the main mission class. If you set nothing then all players will be enemies of each other. If you change these stances you have to do it extensively, like in the example, because in Armada (and Fleet Ops) player 1 can see player 3 as an ally while player 3 still sees player 1 as an enemy.
posted on February 26th, 2022, 5:47 pm
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I downloaded and installed a mod over the classic mod which unbalanced the game in favor of the ai. I want to add the Romulans and Klingons as allied ai to help rebalance the single player missions. I never understood why the Romulans were so absent from the second game when they were a critical part of the first game set only six months prior.