Redsnappa official maps thread

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
1, 2
posted on October 25th, 2012, 3:17 am
All of my maps will be released here.

1. Nirvana VI - 6 players, 25600x25600
I modified the Nirvana II map to accommodate 6 players rather than 8 players. There is now an alley in the middle where two of the players used to spawn. Great for 3v3 and 2v2v2 matchups.

2. Duel III - 2 players, 12000x12000
I modified the Duel maps made by Boggz to make a new one. This one has a lot of Mutara Nebulas for players to hide in.
posted on October 25th, 2012, 9:11 am
To me, it looks like those maps just encourage a ton of turtling, especially with all the wormholes. I never understood why anybody would want to actually play the nirvana maps...

Btw, since you can't place mining stations in nebulas I don't think they'll be of much use. But then, it should be annoyingly hard to raid miners on these moons due to zero sight..
posted on October 25th, 2012, 9:31 am
_Zap_ wrote:To me, it looks like those maps just encourage a ton of turtling, especially with all the wormholes. I never understood why anybody would want to actually play the nirvana maps...

why to play maps like nirvana 2, comp stomping mainly. they are terrible for mp balance, but for a laugh they are ok.
posted on October 26th, 2012, 2:05 am
_Zap_ wrote:Btw, since you can't place mining stations in nebulas I don't think they'll be of much use. But then, it should be annoyingly hard to raid miners on these moons due to zero sight..

I have tested this. The AI tends to build a mining station at one of the moons near the nebula and send miners into the nebula to get the resources. It is annoyingly hard to raid miners on these moons due to disabled sensors.
posted on October 26th, 2012, 6:45 am
I hope you asked Boggz for permission to modify Duel II into Duel III.
And these maps don't look any different than all the other amateur maps that have no real future in FO...tons of Nebula and no smart layouts. You need to learn what a good map is about...
posted on October 26th, 2012, 9:21 am
Drrrrrr wrote:You need to learn what a good map is about...

I bet he'd do you a deal, he'll learn to make better maps if you'll learn some common manners and politeness. your rudeness is just going to drive away any prospective new players.

instead of saying maps are "amateur", just don't play them. vote with your feet, maps that aren't good do not get played. i think 50 shades of grey is terrible, i don't go to my local library and tell everyone.

redsnappa, ignore people like drrrrrr, his behaviour isn't indicative of how welcoming this community is.
posted on October 26th, 2012, 10:58 am
Myles wrote:
Drrrrrr wrote:You need to learn what a good map is about...

I bet he'd do you a deal, he'll learn to make better maps if you'll learn some common manners and politeness. your rudeness is just going to drive away any prospective new players.

instead of saying maps are "amateur", just don't play them. vote with your feet, maps that aren't good do not get played. i think 50 shades of grey is terrible, i don't go to my local library and tell everyone.

redsnappa, ignore people like drrrrrr, his behaviour isn't indicative of how welcoming this community is.

This is my first post on this forum, I wouldn't normally bother to comment but am glad you said something about this Myles. Where's the incentive to become involved with this forum when you get a response such as Drrrrrr's.
posted on October 26th, 2012, 1:50 pm
Myles wrote:redsnappa, ignore people like drrrrrr, his behaviour isn't indicative of how welcoming this community is.

Myles is right redsnappa this is a very welcoming community so don't let one mean guy get you down. I recently started posting, too and I already love being part of the community. drrrrrr is one bad egg in a very large basket.
posted on October 26th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Please continue to make maps - we all have to start somewhere, and regardless of a negative reply, I'm sure many will like your maps as well :) .
posted on October 26th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Drrrr got a small point though: i would probably rename "Duel III" to something like "Duel II (Snappa edit)", so people won't mistake it with Boggzies own creations.

Anyways, Nirvana actually looks quite lovely for AI bashes or weird team games. Definitely something i would play for fun. :thumbsup:
posted on October 26th, 2012, 7:47 pm
I admit, my critique was absolutly wrong. You make great maps like all the other people around here. We need ton of more maps. So please do as many as you can in a day work because this is how you actually improve in making anything...just do what you like and dont listen to any bad haters (like me) that say your work is not good.

I hope this optimistic comment helps to grow this community and I hope that all the ohter people like what I post...this is how the forum works write what others like and get liked. Sleep well guys...
posted on October 26th, 2012, 10:23 pm
Drrrrrr wrote:I admit, my critique was absolutly wrong. You make great maps like all the other people around here. We need ton of more maps. So please do as many as you can in a day work because this is how you actually improve in making anything...just do what you like and dont listen to any bad haters (like me) that say your work is not good.

I hope this optimistic comment helps to grow this community and I hope that all the ohter people like what I post...this is how the forum works write what others like and get liked. Sleep well guys...

lol you really think this is all about you, and how nobody likes poor old drrrrrr. get over yourself man. this isn't about people liking you. this about the fact that you made a plain rude post. instead of politely criticising OP's map, you pretty much just said it was "amateur". that's why people take objection to your post, because you were insulting and unwelcoming. people lurking this forum won't want to become more active if they think people will behave as you do.

if you don't like this community/forum so much, why are you still here? you frequently piss people off and criticise/mouth off to just about everyone. I get the impression you don't like it here, but you never leave dot dot dot
posted on October 27th, 2012, 12:08 am
really.... Any effort into mapmaking is wonderful. and i'm glad that another mapmaker has come to.

http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/maps

Good section of the guide to flip through. has lots of goood points and some awesome comic relief by boggz.

I look forward to some original designs or yours
;)
posted on October 28th, 2012, 2:12 am
I saw this in the guide:

Wormhole Partner

This is the name of the other end of the wormhole and can only be used with wormholes. This can allow you to set multiple entry wormholes for a single exit wormhole. You can also set a wormhole to be its own exit and entry wormhole (causing the entering ship to "bounce" out).

This methodology can be used to make one-way wormholes: Wormhole X has Wormhole Y as its partner. Wormhole Y has Wormhole Y as its partner. Thus, a vessel can enter Wormhole X to travel out of Wormhole Y, but a vessel will bounce if it tries to go in through Wormhole Y first.

So I can do the following?
Wormhole X has Wormhole Y as its partner. Wormhole Y has Wormhole Z as its partner. Wormhole Z has Wormhole X as its partner. This would make a wormhole "triangle".
posted on October 28th, 2012, 2:23 am
Yup, that will work :)
1, 2