Random Map Generation

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.

Question: Does anyone remember a random map selection?

Total votes: 29
no, what are you talking about2 votes (7%)
Yes, i loved it. please bring it back20 votes (69%)
Yes, but i'm glad its gone1 votes (3%)
no, but it sounds like a good idea6 votes (21%)
posted on October 20th, 2009, 5:37 pm
i seem to recall once upon a time, you could select Random Map, and it would generate a totally random map.  you would actually have to explore it and see what was where.  i dont remember if or how you could select how many players a map would be for (maybe it defaulted to 8, i cant remember)

is there any way to do that in FO?
posted on October 20th, 2009, 5:55 pm
That was a great feature...
posted on October 20th, 2009, 9:44 pm
I think it was always an 8-player map, and the spawns were I think were always at the sides or corners.
posted on October 20th, 2009, 10:21 pm
Sounds like a nice idea (but for all size maps a random map feature would be ideal)  B)
posted on October 21st, 2009, 2:57 pm
I really disliked it... I dunno if the computer knows which maps I hate... but I always ended up on those maps when I did that option.
posted on October 21st, 2009, 4:58 pm
I loved it, thought it made the game more interesting as it were...  :thumbsup:
posted on October 21st, 2009, 5:00 pm
makes each game different and unexpected but i think it allows 8 players but checks how many players u set and randomises maps that fit that amount or greater
posted on October 21st, 2009, 6:51 pm
I think I requested that back in the 2.0 days, and someone said they'd look into it, cause I'd like to have it on the solo Vs pc missions as well...
posted on October 22nd, 2009, 1:24 am
Woah...epicly big sig. I remember when I was chastised for too big a sig  :whistling:
posted on October 22nd, 2009, 2:07 am
wow,  what was kirks line to bones in the "save the whales" movie,  "Thats what you get for missing staff meetings"

i did a little trip down memory lane and fired up FO on my laptop,
appeareantly,  i went form A1 to A2 to FO1.1 to FO3.0.7

just how many version / revisions did i miss?  :pinch:
posted on October 22nd, 2009, 2:58 am
Ok, the original Armada II did have this option.  I still play it occasionally with filefront's Armada II upgrade project installed (its purely a graphics upgrade, changes nothing at all on gameplay). 

It did not simply select a map from the list.  It would generate a map of sufficient size for however many players (AIs included) were in the game at launch.  It had some minor balance issues, such as certian players sometimes being slightly further from moons/planets than others,  (you mined metal and produced crew from planets in the original game) and infinate moons (most werent in the original)  being in places far too accessible to players who started near the center of the map.  This feature was included in FO v.2.0, all of its patches, and I believe in v.3PR.  However it was removed when v.3.0 was launched.

Personally I did not use the option often, but I liked it being there for when no one could agree on a map.  It was mainly just fun to have to explore a map thats not been seen a bagillion times.  In spite of the balance issues, which were completely random anyway not limited to any one race, I would like to see this feature come back.