No Sucess with starting Points

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
posted on January 28th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Last edited by xtlc on January 29th, 2009, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi folks

If created a new map and played it so many times to make some adjustments to it's balance, but I need to move a littele around with the start points here and there. Whenever I do that, I totally mess things up. So how can I do that, without disaster? Sometimes, when I change the position of a starting point I can't choose it later in Instant Action as my starting point - In fact I can't choose any of them.

So is there a safe way to do that? I've tried to save the map and to load it again, but I really don't like to reset them all every time. By the way, there should be a "captureable=0" or so option in the map editor for ships you want to plant on the maps... Is caputreable or not. Working arround with the 8th race sucks. Ai unit. And so it goes.

By the way: Is there an Option to give a Ship to a Team via the Map Editor? If I set Team to 1 instead of an empty team with ai-mission the ship dissapears in the game.
posted on January 31st, 2009, 5:13 pm
Anybody an Idea?
posted on February 1st, 2009, 1:04 pm
If i remember correctly, you can move the starting points safely if you right-click+hold it with your mouse, this way you can safely move it.
If i remember correctly...
posted on February 1st, 2009, 3:11 pm
In the log every starting point has 2 points. should have on, or am I wrong?
posted on February 1st, 2009, 5:39 pm
Correctly the value should be 1, but it sometimes works with 2 also...
However, 2 points can also cause many problems, like incorrect positioning, unability to select fixed positions...
You can manually edit camera points, for example edit your maps .txt with Notepad...
You can also left click your starting point and press delete...

However, one thing always works for me and that is, when you place starting points you do it so:
Usually, the placement: ALT+left click... No, do it like this: ALT+left DOUBLE click, so it immediately opens the properties of the point, when you're finished with the point properties, right click on the point to move it or just right click it, so it becomes a little circle.

I hope it helps...

Some more info in this thread (//www.fleetops.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,3/topic,2521.msg47597/#msg47597):
Detektor wrote: Start Points:

- Place your Cursor on the Map
- Hold the ALT-Key
- Press the Left-Mouse-Button
- Doubleklick on the point
- Rename the Point to : Camera_X ( X = Player Number from 1 up to 8 )
- Save your map with CRT+S
- Go to your BZN Directory in your Fleetops Directory
- Open the txt file of your map (it has the same name as the map)
- Scroll to the End of the File
- Check the Starting Points, right is : // Path: "Camera_X" (1 points)
  every Startpoint has to look like this (with the corret numbers in corret order)
posted on February 1st, 2009, 6:48 pm
I've already read this one :) But a question: I thaught the *.txt is just a log file, not an operationable. If I edit my starting points there, will it help?
posted on February 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm
It may help yes, just make sure it looks like this (4 players example):
// Path: "Camera_1" (1 points)
// Path: "Camera_2" (1 points)
// Path: "Camera_3" (1 points)
// Path: "Camera_4" (1 points)

Be careful not to edit anything else in the txt file.
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 1:22 am
2 points usually works fine for me (most of the time).
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 8:08 am
Agreed. But it messes up when hosting a game or playing IA. I can't choose my starting point then.
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 1:24 pm
xtlc wrote:I can't choose my starting point then.

As in, it only shows one start point in the centre?
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 2:08 pm
Nope, in the map editor, the starting points are shown correctly. But if I start an instant action game, I can't assign let's say the upper right starting point to the player 1.
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 2:21 pm
When something goes wrong, I just put it to random location (in game) and it normally works.
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 6:50 pm
You mean when starting a game, I should click on random placement? My Map is a typical AI versus Human map you have to start at one of the points 1 or 2 but you can't start at 3,4,5,6,7 at all!
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 10:13 pm
Can you upload the map in question?
posted on February 2nd, 2009, 10:29 pm
yes I will... wrong pc atm.