Map making tutorial

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
posted on November 10th, 2010, 2:19 am
Maybe an odd question, but is there a tutorial for creating maps, adding (capturable) derelicts and so on.

I've been trying to spice up some of the existing maps with Derelicts and capturable bases, but i keep on running into problems getting them to work.

I know i can ask advice here as well, but any sort of tutorial would be very useful.
posted on November 10th, 2010, 2:23 am
Yeah dude!  :D

Dom's guide has a pretty extensive guide to the technical aspects of making your own maps.  I donated the section on giving your maps personality and making sure they stay balanced.

HERE    B)

If that doesn't cover what you're getting at feel free to ask any questions here and I'll try and answer them :)
posted on November 12th, 2010, 12:47 am
I created a map and used the tutorial to help me with things but i have been unsuccessful with the derelicts. I put in several stations but i cant get them to work. I made an 8 person map so im unable to set the station to a team higher than that and i set the crew at 0. The only way they show up is if i put them on team 0 and then they still dont function when u capture them. Any help is appreciated thanx
posted on November 12th, 2010, 1:19 am
Hmm ... well derelicts are a bit tricky.  I don't use them very often (or ever) as capturable things because it's really hard to know exactly how they are going to function.

I'm quite sure that part of the game mechanic right now is just set up so that if you capture someone else's yard, it doesn't mean that you can actually build from it because you don't have access to the technology tree.

Not really sure though as I don't mess with derelicts very often.  Anyone know more?
posted on November 12th, 2010, 1:29 am
Since the derelict trigger is not working, that's the only method to make derelicts at the moment. That means that the person whose team you choose for the derelicts will get a little bit of sight from the derelict and know exactly where they are, but that's it. They won't gain them until they recrew them :). If it's for an AI map, then it won't matter  ^-^
posted on November 12th, 2010, 2:05 am
thanx much appreciated will that be fixed in the next patch
posted on November 12th, 2010, 6:22 pm
I believe it will be fixed sometime down the road, but not for next patch as far as I know  :sweatdrop:
posted on November 12th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Yeah it sounds like derelicts and NPC's will be around after some of the more "needed" race redoes.  Bummer for the map-makers indeed, but from what Optec has hinted at it sounds like it will be more than worth it!
posted on November 14th, 2010, 1:51 am
Sweet cant wait for the next patch i love the game the best rts
posted on November 18th, 2010, 11:57 pm
Yeah I'm very excited for the new map objects and possibilities myself :).  I can't wait to start making neato maps with interactive NPC's and such :D
posted on December 30th, 2010, 4:17 pm
I'll add my new question to this existing topic instead of making a new one.

How do you add a new starting point to a map or if they're randomly generated, how do you change the number of players for a map.

I tried to make Asteroid Alma into an 8 player map instead of the 4 player original, but i simply cannot figure out how to do this.
posted on December 30th, 2010, 4:28 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on December 30th, 2010, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This entry should provide the necessary information :)
Adding Start Locations