How to turn off Ferengi in a mission map

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
posted on December 24th, 2011, 1:55 am
Hi Folks,

How do you turn off the Ferengi in a mission map?  I'm working on a map where you need to board and replair some derelict ships, but they keep leaving the map after someone snickers at me or quotes a rule of acquisition.

TIAA,

V
posted on December 24th, 2011, 2:01 am
Well in stock A2, you use to just delete the Ferengi units that are on the edges of the map where a player can't see in normal play. Have you tired this for your FO mission?
posted on December 24th, 2011, 11:16 pm
Interesting idea!  In the map editor I don't see anything, so maybe at mission start I use an EntityFinder to find all Ferengi marauders and delete them from the game.  I will give that a try.
posted on December 25th, 2011, 4:42 am
Well, it turns out that the game "helps" you be recreating marauders you delete.  So you need to check periodically and delete em again.  My solution is pretty much a hack, but it does seem to be working.  Below is the code I use.  Just call the function once and the Ferengi stay away.  If anybody knows a better solution, please post.

function turnOffFerengiSalvaging()
  print "Turning off Ferengi salvaging"

function removeFerengiShips(timer, hook)
      print("looking for marauders")
      -- Create an entity finder that finds all Ferengi Marauders
      local finder = EntityFinder(
          function (e) return e:isType(Entity.Type.Craft) and e.valid and e.odf == "zferscav.odf" end
      )

-- Find the ships and remove them from the game
      local marauders = finder:find()
      for _, v in pairs( marauders ) do
        print("removing ship " .. _)
        Entity.remove(v)
      end
  end

-- Create a timer that calls removeFerengiShips every 10 seconds.
  local newTimer = Timer( "FerengiBlocker", 10.0, Timer.State.Started )
  newTimer.repeats = true
  newTimer:hook("FerengiDeleter", nil, removeFerengiShips, nil)
end
posted on December 25th, 2011, 7:21 am
you can't get rid of the Ferengi!! I love thinking back to the those early armada 1 days where the ferengi would steal my ships and I'd get super pissed. Its just like life, the good isn't good without the bad. Though I do understand your need for some small control over various things in life. Also think about how annoying the Ferengi were in star trek in general, the writers never got rid of them, they embraced them, its time to embrace your moogie!!:> lol
posted on January 11th, 2012, 7:46 pm
I love the Ferengi esp in the older versions of FO .  they were great on a  lot of the older maps that had them as map object  and boardble objects  with bottle necks.Because  you could use  them to tow your  crippled and deralict ships to a yard to be repaired. Plus with their special you could in packs  really  harrass  your opponent.
posted on January 11th, 2012, 8:22 pm
i don't think there is a way yet to disable ferengi in a mission. as already noticed, armada recreates ferengi vessels in case they are lost (deleted).
it is possible to disable ferengi in instant action and multiplayer games of course, but there is no such flag for mission files yet afaik.

btw. your script you use above, the ferengi marauder uses a special child classlabel of craft which is scavenger. i don't know if MMM supports this, however you could simplify your filter since you don't have to look for the marauder's odf name anymore. that'd be something like Entity.Type.Scavenger(?)
posted on January 11th, 2012, 8:25 pm
posted on January 12th, 2012, 12:16 am
great :)