Gray Map Problems

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
1, 2
posted on August 17th, 2005, 7:51 pm
ok, im getting really irritated at this problem.

i followed all the processes as told with 3different types of map editors and all the same.

i start with the correct map size as the one i selected but its completely shrowed. if i selected a map with "computer controlled" units on it but i become the computer controlled units.

i have no mod tools apprearing in either case and im just so confused.
posted on August 17th, 2005, 8:26 pm
same here, i just get a grey area and can't locate any tools to place stuff in the map. a thought just came to me though - pressing ctrl-i makes the hud dissapear piece by piece ingame and reapper when you press ctrl-i again. try that
posted on August 17th, 2005, 8:31 pm
tried that aswell, thought i had it but the problem remains, its like im just getting launched into the map as the AI. very annoying when ya follow the instructions to the letter on 3 different map mod applications.
posted on August 17th, 2005, 8:35 pm
aye its a bit strange, which applications have u used? i've tried the one that came with FO
posted on August 17th, 2005, 8:39 pm
1) i used the command line /edit mapname.bzn

2) StarTrek Armada 2 - Map Editor Launcher v1.0.1
© 2003 bds game design studios

3) Armada 2 Maplauncher V 2.1
posted on August 17th, 2005, 8:42 pm
i've used maplauncher v 2.1 and whatever was with the FO installation, somebody on the forum will know the answer
posted on August 17th, 2005, 9:02 pm
i finally found the problem, it was the editor files EVERY map editor program ive seen yet hasnt told you to do.

copy the editor files from the cd to the install directory. dam its so easy!!!!
posted on August 17th, 2005, 9:07 pm
what editor files? from the armada 2 cd?
posted on August 17th, 2005, 9:57 pm
Yep, i had that problem too with beta2 from time to time. I'm not sure if we ever found out what really causes it :sweatdrop: all i can say is, that Doca completely rebuilt the launcher and the stuff arround it, so the v3 map manager should work as expected ^_^
posted on August 17th, 2005, 10:11 pm
Last edited by DOCa Cola on August 17th, 2005, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i finally found the problem, it was the editor files EVERY map editor program ive seen yet hasnt told you to do.

copy the editor files from the cd to the install directory. dam its so easy!!!!

it's not that, the required files for map editing are already in place with standard installation of fleet operations.
what you experience is a for me not reproducable bug that occours during parameter parsing in the launcher code. that problem will be fixed with v3 of fleet operations.
posted on August 17th, 2005, 10:15 pm
how do other people make maps for FO v2? i've been trying and i just can't get it to work! the map editor opens up to a grey screen with all the HUD but no tools
posted on August 17th, 2005, 10:18 pm
Last edited by DOCa Cola on August 17th, 2005, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this problem you experiencing occours very random on various systems, so most people don't experience that problem. the bug will be fixed with v3. i cannot provide a fixed version for beta 2 as is had to make some big steps back in programming, what would just consume too much time.
posted on August 17th, 2005, 10:24 pm
alright no worries, another reason to look forward to v3!! :D
posted on August 18th, 2005, 10:28 am
navigate your cd drive, to (G:SetupEditor) in here you have 4 files.

unsupportedextension_mapedit
Map Editor License
Map Editor Instructions
ATVI

these four files are required to create/edit maps in armada. simply copy these four files from your armada cd to your installed directory, (where your armada.exe is) and your good to go. with these files in place your editor mode can now reference the tools from the the ATVI file.

you will still need to run a map editing program such as the three i listed above.

you can get the simple one found here below, its a basic launch tool.

ftp://ftp.games.skynet.be/pub/www.filesne...itormanager.zip
posted on August 18th, 2005, 10:29 am
you can get a tutorial on how to map here.

ftp://ftp.games.skynet.be/pub/www.filesne...ls/editor_1.pdf
1, 2