2v2 + 1v1 On Same Map

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
posted on March 26th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Here's an idea I got a couple of days ago.

Suppose someone made a 6-player, rectangular map with a Duel 2-style area in the center that's blocked off completely from the rest of the map, except for one wormhole at each expansion.

The 2v2 portion of the map would have one expansion per player with a wormhole going to the expansion in the opposite corner of the Duel-2 map (eg: The bottom left expansion of the primary map would have a wormhole going to the top right expansion of the Duel-2 sub-map).

The Duel-2 sub-map could then be used either as a way to sneak around the enemy defenses by going into disputed territory (eg: having to deal with both players in the 1v1 sub-game), or as a way to supplement your team by having an isolated player in a sub-game and the winner of that sub-game can help the primary game.

Either way, the strategies are endless.
posted on March 26th, 2013, 10:27 pm
I like it! :woot:
posted on March 26th, 2013, 11:53 pm
If I understand right... then I like it. Fund it.
posted on March 27th, 2013, 12:29 am
Does anyone know how to build an application that can copy ALL of the objects of a map and then paste them onto another, larger map? I guess I could record the position of every single object on Duel 2 and then just move them to the new position.
posted on March 27th, 2013, 5:50 pm
I wouldn't imagine that the editor would work well with some kind of mechanised input, but hey, my programming skillz are limited to javascript.

Anyway, recreating a map similar enough to duel 2 (or any other 1v1 map) and building a 2v2 map around it wouldn't be too much of an undertaking. My only worry would be that, if the submap is located in the center, the other players will be spread so far out that they will be unable to help each other or that the game might become a tech race. Maybe moving the submap to the side will help.
I like the idea. The outcome of the 1v1 (if shorter then the 2v2) can surely tip the balance of the other game. I would suggest having the winner of the 1v1 after his match join the losing side in the 2v2 to offset the balance. Would be a nice touch.
posted on March 27th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Oh? I was more concerned with keeping the base and expansions in the 2v2 equally attractive for raiding. But I did notice that the map had to be rather large.

Dual 2 is 12,000 by 12,000. To ensure that there is plenty of room around it, the map derived from it is 18,000 by 24,000. Which is rather large for a 2v2. So I'll put wormholes within the 2v2 portion of the map that will cut down travel time by a few thousand units. These will be shortcuts to teammate bases and towards the center-sides of the map. So building up turrets at a wormhole might not go in your favor if your enemy doesn't use them! But wormholes will be required in order to have interaction between the 1v1 and 2v2 games.

About the winner of the 1v1 joining the losing side of the 2v2. That would have to be an alliance game and speaking of which, we could have the players in the 1v1 be neutral to the players in the 2v2. Then the players of the 1v1 would enemy themselves with whoever fired on their units.
posted on March 30th, 2013, 4:17 pm
Maybe I'll use MMM to move all of the objects in one shot instead of moving them all one at a time. Of course, I'd have to replace the moons that spawn with the triggers because MMM cannot run until I leave editor mode.
posted on March 30th, 2013, 8:57 pm
Got a basic map going based off of Dual II.

There is one expansion per player on the 2v2 portion of the map. Each wormhole goes to an expansion in the opposite corner in the 1v1 portion of the map. I removed the wormholes that make travel towards the center-sides and to your allied base faster.
posted on March 30th, 2013, 9:33 pm
Show us a fancy screenshot please :)
posted on March 31st, 2013, 2:31 pm
There's not much to look at right now, but here it is.
Duel II Test.png
Duel II Test.png (30.23 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Remember, the wormholes in the corners of the 2v2 go to the opposite corner of the 1v1.

I'm thinking of making it harder to access the Dilithium expansion of the 2v2 while at the same time making it easier to raid.