1v1 Map Concepts for FO4

Do you have a question on map editing, how use the map manager or want to make your new map public? Post here.
posted on January 7th, 2013, 2:49 pm
As per the recent newspost's request, I decided to "release my inner mapmaker".

I've been wondering for a while how a map with only one moon at the base would play out. Starting positions on current maps are commonly provided with a pair of moons, so how about only having a Di-moon?

In this setup, there would be three single Tri moons for both players to choose from, with the closest/most obvious/possibly safest one being the behind-the-base corner moon. Another possibility would be to simply take the base moon and then grab the pair, which would lead to lots of Di. Maybe the pair should be spaced far enough away to discourage a single mining station for both. From here it is possible to expand to the out-of-the-way Tri moons, the Tri moon fairly close to the likely enemy expansion (potential proximity yard position)or to take more space towards the enemy base.

Another candidate:

This one would lead to differing games if both expansion moon pairs are the same and the opponents do or do not take the same side's expansions. In games where both players expanded clockwise it would very well be feasible to expand to the middle positions, even if the game is still far from over. This position can be made more/less desirable by putting the moons close enough to be mined with one station/dragging one moon further towards the edge of the map, making it harder to defend.

Thoughts? I'm open for suggestions, even if they are nowhere close to what I've dreamed up here :D
posted on January 7th, 2013, 5:55 pm
Hiya, hope you don't mind me responding to your ideas :)

Map concept1:
I like the equal spacing of moons from the opponent - should make it easier to switch targets and less easy to predict attack paths without active scouting. I'm not sure how big the map is, but it does look like their isn't much space between the main tritanium and the edge of the map. That creates a "safe" moon, and it'd be nice to see that opened up to harassment. I'd also experiment with introducing more blocking to create more pathways. This map so far seems a bit like the SC2 Bel'shir Beach, but I think that means in Fleet Ops it will promote interesting harassment, but not interesting macromanagement/scouting for macro (since the directions you can expand in are too predictable). Possibly adding an additional dilithium moon top and bottom near (but not next to) the lone tritaniums could change this. That way you have some choice between expanding top vs bottom, at the expense of using additional mining stations, yet having a more "threatening" forward. In that case, might be interesting to have an angled blocker there too - I've attached an image with these suggestions (though the top half doesn't have the nice spacing that the bottom half of the map has I found).
test.png
test.png (70.89 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
. I've also switched the dil and tri moon at that area, so that there's more impetus to put something important forward (like a yard), or to have your opponent take that moon to get a close-by staging ground.

Map concept2:
Second maps seems interesting as well. I can't say much else than that, other than to include another suggestion of additional blocking, to prevent the middle moons from being too attractive. Basically the attached image's blocking should stop a held-middle dil moon from allowing easy interception on the way to the "wing" expansions.
test2.png
test2.png (52.41 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
posted on January 8th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Thanks for your input Dom, your proposals make good sense. I'll see if I can persuade the map editor to do as I want it to do when I've got some time.

Still, if anyone has a thought on these maps, feel free to reply.
posted on January 9th, 2013, 1:21 am
I really like concept 2. i might play with that concept if you don't mind
posted on January 12th, 2013, 3:03 pm
Sure, go right ahead. If I don't hear from you I'll try myself on it.

First Map is done so far. H'atoria is a system in the Klingon Empire close to the Romulan and Federation Borders.

Please Report back here if you played it and want to share some feedback.

Download in attachment. You will need to extract and copy both files into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations\Data\bzn\
or your corresponding directory to make it available for play.
I recommend 7-zip for extraction, but WinRaR does it too.

Attachments

Hatoria.7z
v0.1
(33.8 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
posted on June 17th, 2013, 8:34 pm
Switched up moon placements, eliminated two dil moons entirely, more asteroids to give better graphical representation of blocking triggers. This map should definetly make for different build orders and I've tried to spread out the moons enough to encourage heavy raiding.

Second candidate still has to be made. Post your thoughts to both!

Download for second version in attachment. You will need to extract and copy both files into
C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations\Data\bzn\
or your corresponding directory to make it available for play.
I recommend 7-zip for extraction, but WinRaR does it too.

Attachments

Hatoria02.7z
v0.2
(36.83 KiB) Downloaded 389 times