Treasure Island 6P + 1Observer

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
posted on March 3rd, 2010, 2:54 pm
Last edited by Drrrrrr on March 4th, 2010, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my first map for the community. It is a larger 3on3 map with 1 place for an observer.
The map is almost symmetrical and offers many different strategies.

As a special there are 3 fixed space artilleries in this map. 2 of them can be used to defend the left and right wormholes and one can be used to fire at the center of the map. You need to capture them to work. They have like 80000 HP, so dont try to destroy them...the only chance to take them back is, to beam troops there.

EDIT: Map and picture changed...everything should work now. Report bugs plz.

Attachments

FO - Treasure Island.zip
(138.11 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
posted on March 3rd, 2010, 10:15 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on March 3rd, 2010, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to play... but seems you did not upload an actual map - just two images and the .txt file  :whistling:

Btw, hopefully you disabled the shields on the Hyperspace Artilleries, otherwise there won't be any capturing back I bet  :sweatdrop:

EDIT: typo
posted on March 4th, 2010, 4:37 am
should be fixed now.

The artillery can be shot with longrange Weapons. If this is not sufficient, I try to put a nebula there.
posted on March 4th, 2010, 4:59 am
hmm, nice map :D
posted on March 4th, 2010, 5:40 am
You know you can set a map ship as "invulnerable".

Then you can permanently disable it's shields so that it can only be crewed by assault.
posted on March 4th, 2010, 6:14 am
ok...the question is how do I disable the schields...the subsystem changes are bugged right now. So lowering the shields by shooting seems sufficient for me. If it is too hard, I can place a nebula nearby that lowers the shields. Invincible was also unsuiteable because afaik subystems will not take damage as well...but this is another aspect of disabling the Artillery. Especially because the amount of Energy has been increased (and might be increased if recommended).

OFF TOPIC:
Will custom ships in a single map be downloaded with the map as well? Or do I need to place the files in there? Because that way I could use the stationary Artillery with different stats in my map...and dont have to use this hack to make it work.
posted on March 4th, 2010, 6:19 am
Drrrrrr wrote:OFF TOPIC:
Will custom ships in a single map be downloaded with the map as well? Or do I need to place the files in there? Because that way I could use the stationary Artillery with different stats in my map...and dont have to use this hack to make it work.

No they will not be included automatically.  I would advise against adding anything custom into a map as it will alter the ODF folder and make "2 versions of the game" for those that play multiplayer.  That and it also runs the risk of destabilizing your game if the creator didn't code the ODF's properly :D.

All in all it is more of a pain in the ass to add custom shit to your maps.  Just bug the Devs to release a little bit of NPC stuff as map objects so we map creators can use them on maps :).
posted on March 5th, 2010, 4:30 am
I fixed a big bug dealing with player positioning...should work now.
posted on March 5th, 2010, 9:23 pm
:P ehh... a bit too tight if you ask me.
posted on March 6th, 2010, 3:27 am
Ok, I re-downloaded and took a hard peak - it has a great deal of potential, but I think that there are some big problem areas if you wish to make this a truly fun multiplayer map :).

Aesthetics wise, planets and suns are set too far down on their axis, so they don't show up at all in game  :whistling: .

Gameplay wise, that many nebulae can both slow down older computers, as well as turn into 'camping sites'. There are a ton of mutara and fluid nebulae, and although the placement looks nice - this will be a major advantage to Borg, who can simply go from nebula swath to nebula without ever having to enter "realspace". Consequently, since all moon pairs are relatively close to nebulae... this can be rather disastrous  :sweatdrop:

On the whole, looks good, and nice and solid for a first attempt :)  Happy mapping!  :thumbsup:
posted on March 6th, 2010, 4:09 am
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Happy mapping!  :thumbsup:

Gonna steal that in the future :D.

Yeah so one thing I've noticed about most RTS custom maps is a tendency to want to add NPC's to your first few custom maps.  That and an overabundance of map objects that affect gameplay.  Too many of the "hiding" nebulae will allow Borg Players to NEVER die.  And trust me ... nothing makes you want to quit a game and yell F@CK THIS GAME than that :D.  The Fluid Nebulae can do the same thing for other races since it does not disable the sensors of the hiding units.

My suggestion:  pare it down. 

• Take away as many of the Nebula as you can without removing them completely.
  • Keep Blue/Purple Nebs away from Beginning Moons and Natural Expansions (1st exp.)
  • Never place Blue/Purple Nebs at CRUCIAL junctions.

Those nebs are places a person should be hiding as an escape or something similar.  Going there should NOT give you much of a tactical advantage except to escape or perhaps to hide while an opponent goes by so that you can proceed to a target without being caught.
posted on March 6th, 2010, 4:13 am
Aye - I think even green (crystalid nebulae) should be kept away from crucial junctions as well - as an escape route, sure, but as a "I must go in there to fight"... it can make things nasty at times  B)
posted on March 6th, 2010, 9:07 am
hm ok anyway I started a different map...

but about blue nebulars at junctions...it is ok imo if there are other ways around. If you mean the entrance to to wormhole...this is ok I think because there are 2 ways around. It is just shorter to move through the neb.