Treasure in the middle

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
posted on May 27th, 2010, 10:21 am
Treasure in the middle

Made with 3.1.2

A large 8-player map ( 36000 X 36000 )
At the starting locations you are protected by asteroid belts but have only 2 dilithium and 2 tritanium moons. So resources are limited there.

Place your stations wisely, space inside the asteroid belts is limited to prevent excessive turteling but big enough to protect your essentials.

At the centre of the map you will find almost all other resources, so who gets there first (and can hold the position) will win.

Have fun

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

treasure_in_the_middle.txt
(6.16 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
posted on May 27th, 2010, 10:33 am
looks a bit crowded, turtling looks like it could be rampant at base, you dont need to build the rest of your stuff right next to base when all you can do is sit there with mayson torp station, a starbase fully armed and ready to destroy and a few sensor stations and a few scouts while you continue building up resources. if the asteroid field is far enough away from the moons at base then enemy arty ships wont stand much chance to do anything. the middle can be ignored and let the rest just beat each other to death, by the time everyone else realizes, you got such an advantage with resources that you could clout the rest very quickly because they all wasted their resources.
posted on May 27th, 2010, 10:41 am
If the rest of your stuff is outside the base, then it isn't protected by the asteroids or turtling (though you can turtle outside the entrance, too).  Building fleets is never a waste of resources, though I do think you have a point in that most people wouldn't be able to hold the middle (or would think they couldn't) so they wouldn't bother trying.  It seems like the bases may be a bit too small (keep in mind, for example, that the Borg need more room for their bases).

I think a viable strategy here could be to make a fleet of miners, go to the middle, protect them while they mine, and bring them back (probably with an extra resource station or two) because the middle is too vulnerable (and tempting to attack) to build a base.

I look forward to trying this map out later today.
posted on May 27th, 2010, 10:47 am
Ruanek wrote:If the rest of your stuff is outside the base, then it isn't protected by the asteroids or turtling (though you can turtle outside the entrance, too).  Building fleets is never a waste of resources, though I do think you have a point in that most people wouldn't be able to hold the middle (or would think they couldn't) so they wouldn't bother trying.  It seems like the bases may be a bit too small (keep in mind, for example, that the Borg need more room for their bases).

I think a viable strategy here could be to make a fleet of miners, go to the middle, protect them while they mine, and bring them back (probably with an extra resource station or two) because the middle is too vulnerable (and tempting to attack) to build a base.

I look forward to trying this map out later today.

the outside asteroid and map edges provide just 2 directions to attack from, place turrets on the open side once the station down, just as good as protected from a fleet of ships.

what came to mind is about the middle is simple, the torment of Tantalus, im not playing that game of temptation, the best part of valor is not get involved.
posted on May 27th, 2010, 11:44 am
Just take a look and play it before you complain. :D
By the way there are only 2 ways to get to the middle.
Best strategy : Bring miners and construction ships to the middle and build a valid outpost.
Works
posted on May 27th, 2010, 1:12 pm
im not, im just taking an overview look before anything else.
posted on May 27th, 2010, 2:15 pm
shadow_from_afc wrote:Just take a look and play it before you complain. :D
By the way there are only 2 ways to get to the middle.
Best strategy : Bring miners and construction ships to the middle and build a valid outpost.
Works

I hope to try that out in a multiplayer game later today, but I fear that the outpost will get destroyed before you can get up good defences (because while you're building it, everyone else is trying to destroy it).
posted on May 27th, 2010, 4:44 pm
well, unless you're playing a free for all with more than four players unaligned, just send your miners and constructors out to the middle with a small squad of mixed units, that can cover them until you have defenses in places at any mine in the middle. in other words, first one to the middle probably wins.

but commentators are right, unless the map is filled with all 8 players, all you have to do is scout out one of those empty start points, drop a few turrets and a sensor/scout at the mouth, and you've got a decent little resource enclave and the hoard in the middle becomes pointless.

on a semi-related note, someone ought to work on one of those "treasure in the middle" maps where there is a ringed structure in the center with derelict ships to grab up :D I like those
posted on May 27th, 2010, 4:47 pm
stock A1 comes to mind. that 4 player map.
posted on May 28th, 2010, 3:45 am
Very cool dude!

Do I sound like Boggz?
posted on May 28th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Do I sound like Boggz?

You haven't called anyone a tit yet. ;)
posted on May 28th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Mal you're such a tit  :P
posted on May 29th, 2010, 12:05 am
Thanks, Boggz! :woot:

:lol:
posted on May 29th, 2010, 12:48 am
While its a fun map it has a very anti-Borg bias.
posted on May 29th, 2010, 4:01 am
Boggz is flattered that people think he'd respond a certain way :).

Boggz is also ALWAYS happy to see a new map-maker!!!!

Boggz would ALSO like to express his own opinion:

- *ahem*  I am of the opinion that, with a map at 36k by 36k, you will see nothing but rapid teching up and turtling from this map here.  In an 8 player FFA (god forbid) no one will be harassed, everyone will tech up, and only the person that strikes for the middle will actually be attacked.  The person that sits back, touches no one, and spams the most powerful unit they can will win.

In regards to "only 2 moon pairs": that is more than enough to spam the most powerful unit you have.  Also: "avoiding turtling" by limiting the space will lead to exactly the opposite (in my opinion).  Turrets take VERY little space to build, while the narrow passage into the base will cause havoc on any player foolish enough to waste resources and ships trying to crack it.

If you'd like to make this map a viable choice for a 4 v 4 online, I suggest limiting the starting moons to 1 pair, sprinkling lone expansion moons throughout the map, and increasing the density of moons as they get closer to the center, a la "Blue Amber"  :).  This way there will be no turtling and expansion outwards will be a MUST if you plan on winning :)

FORCING players to expand outwards is the key to getting them into combat.  Otherwise they sit in their base and stockpile like the US v USSR :D.

Thus speaketh Boggz.  He noweth goes backeth to his cave.