Plasma Conduit [3v3]

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
The discovery of this formation, dubbed the "Plasma Conduit" by the exploration team that discovered it, sent a small shockwave of excitement throughout the federation.  This deliberate-looking arrangement of asteroids seems to be generating its own fields of energy.  Those fields are expanding slowly, reaching out to each other like some massive lattice coming together.  The incredibly slow rate of expansion suggests the Plasma Conduit is very old, and won't complete itself for several hundred more years.

Once the media got wind of the researchers' excitement, word of "new, self-perpetuating power sources" spread like wildfire, and it wasn't long before factions other than the Federation knew of its existence and location.  Soon the researchers were forced to evacuate as fleets formed up and lines were drawn.

---

The goal of this map was to make a 3v3 that focuses on how players combine their fleets.  Either two separate battles occur on the left and right sides of the map, with the center player providing support from his "firebase," OR the wing players send their ships to the middle and make a push on the enemy's "firebase."  Most battles will only have 2 players or less from each side: if players combine their fleets into a 3-man flotilla on one side it will leave the other side vulnerable.

---

PlasmaConduit.zip
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 7:04 pm
this map is sooo.....
[move] equalauqe[/move]
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 7:25 pm
there are quite a few maps that are highly regular like this one. asteroid halma is rather regular, and most people like it.
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 7:29 pm
Equalauqe? I don't speak Elvish, translation?
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 7:30 pm
Tyler wrote:Equalauqe? I don't speak Elvish, translation?

equal, and then reversed, to refer to the symmetry.

the second q obviously has no u following.
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 11:14 pm
Myles wrote:there are quite a few maps that are highly regular like this one. asteroid halma is rather regular, and most people like it.

actually on halma there are dusts on the map that makes it look mildly uneven, even maps created by boggz look uneven because of special map objects.
posted on January 3rd, 2011, 11:17 pm
Arash8472 wrote:
actually on halma there are dusts on the map that makes it look mildly uneven, even maps created by boggz look uneven because of special map objects.

Nah, I don't think so. Have a look at "Champagne Supernova".

However, what I don't like about this map is: It has faaaaaaar too many moons. Holy crap, that's going to be a crapfest (in terms of laaaaaaaaaarge fleets engaging laaaaaaaaaaarge fleets)
posted on January 4th, 2011, 2:23 am
I have every intention of prettying it up sometime with dust and visuals, but for now I want to just see if it works.  The first step is to make it good and perfectly symmetrical, making it good and asymmetrical is much harder.

Now, let me explain my thinking in response to your...concerns.

I believe most FO maps right now don't have enough moons.  There's an art to positioning moons so that there are more available than people actually need, for example Duel II.  The reason Duel II is more fun to play than the original Duel is the increase in moons, but that doesn't mean players have a higher income than before.  If you watch the replays, you'll see that most players end up with 1 base and 1 expansion because they can't defend more than that.  Having more moons is better because it give more OPTIONS in where you expand to.

Take Argus Conflict as an example: it has 1 more moon than my map, but people seldom build on all the expansions because they're too busy fighting.  If anything, it's a bad idea to have too few moons because it puts certain factions (Romulans mostly) at a disadvantage.  They work best with 2-3 moon pairs, unlike Feds who only need 1-2.
posted on January 4th, 2011, 7:21 pm
I will try this out for sure.