Map by Sgt. Cortez: Rules of Acquisition

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
posted on July 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm
I proudly present to you my first map.

Size: 12000X16000

Players: 4 (2v2), some Marauders available for Observer

Moon pairs: 11

NPC's: there are hiding some Ferengi Marauders, find them yourself or they'll find you

Derelicts: some small but useful ships, nothing game deciding. The one who finds the Nova gets a cookie.

Background: A Pirate band of Ferengi is controlling this sector, but now their actions got the attention of more than local policeforces. Fleets are warping in to get rid of that problem. However, those Ferengi won't give up that fast, they still control important trade routes and will defend what they've gotten so far, cause remember rule of acquisition number 1: Once you have their money, you never give it back!

Some thoughts: In my opinion the feature of NPC’s is very underused in FO, so that map tries to equalize that. If you are already frustrated by the nasty laughing of a Ferengi stealing your ships, you will hate them after playing this map :D. On the other hand some boarded Marauders early game can be quite helpful.
Let my quote some Rules of Acquisition you should consider not only when playing that map, the Ferengi aren't dumb, you know :pirate:):
3 :Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to.
9 :Opportunity plus instinct equals profit
95: Expand or die.
194:It's always good to know about new customers before they walk in your door.
However, remember that those Ferengi here know those rules, too.

Thanks to Govindaa, Halfala, heike1, Dexter, Drrrrr and Big Domino for helping me to test that map. Your hints were very helpful for the creation of version2.
The map was inspired by "champagne supernova" and "The Death Star".

The only thing I'm still worrying about is a balanced positioning of the moon pairs. So far the test games seemed well balanced.

So, download it, have fun and tell me your opinion about it. :)

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Rules of Acquisition v2.txt
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
posted on August 29th, 2010, 5:50 pm
Hey guys!
I see some guys downloaded the map and some other viewed the thread. A little comment would be appreciated for further projets  :ermm:.
posted on August 31st, 2010, 10:27 pm
not enough room on left for dominion.

i was top left and dom and i wanted to put up multiple ketracels around a tri moon, but couldnt even fit 1 :(
posted on September 7th, 2010, 7:22 am
Thanks for the hint, I'll have a look at it once I get home again.  :thumbsup: