Mal's Tactical Maps

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
posted on June 24th, 2009, 12:06 am
I’ve been trying my hand at map making and this is what I’ve come up with so far! :woot:

2 vs 1 maps

Tired of only having 3 players, which pretty much forces you to do a FFA game where the first 2 guys who duke it out lose and the third player pretty much wins by default?  Well, be fatigued no longer!  Introducing a new style of map designed for balanced 2 versus 1 play which I hope will eliminate this problem once and for all.  Unfortunately, they haven’t been beta tested, but that’s where you come in!  Everyone reading this is now a beta tester for these maps.  I would love it if you downloaded these and tried them in multiplayer to see if they really are balanced and fun for both sides. 

Against All Odds
10000x10000
3 Players (2 vs 1)

You have been charged with defending the borders of your space.  Two enemy factions have allied themselves against you in order to gain more territory.  But this time you have an ally.  Because “War is good for business”, the Ferengi have allowed you to contract their services for a “modest fee”, providing you with some surplus ships from the Dominion War!  How they got these ships, we’ll never know.  All we can say is never underestimate a Ferengi when profit is on the line! 

Blockade
20000x6000
3 Players (2 vs 1)

Your faction controls a planet rich in resources, which your enemies wish to control!  What’s worse, your defensive perimeter has been sabotaged by spies and will now fire at anyone, including your own vessels!  Will you be fast enough to build a force capable of taking on your enemies?  And are you brave enough to run the blockade?!

Note:  These really aren’t designed to be played against the AI, although I've been able to beat 2 teamed Merciless AI's on them, and it was quite fun.  But they are specifically designed for multiplayer, and I’m hoping the feedback will mostly come from that aspect of the game, but all feedback is welcome.

I've got some 3v2 maps on the drawing board.  They'll probably be out in two weeks. ^-^

Special thanks to Jarod for letting me use his legal information write up for my maps.

Attachments

Mal's Maps.zip
(89.22 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
posted on June 24th, 2009, 12:07 am
Last edited by Anonymous on June 24th, 2009, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some things I'm looking for from feedback.

• Can the ships given in Against All Odds be exploited by sending them to attack right away?
  • Any trouble with mining?  Not enough space somewhere?  I think I've already resolved this, but you never know.
  • In Blockade, is it possible to cloak past the turrets anywhere?  It shouldn't be.  Please let me know if you can slip past somewhere.
  • Too many turrets in Blockade?  Not enough?  You should have seen how many there were when I first made it! :P

Again, any exploits or things that I have missed, please let me know and I will change it in future versions.
posted on June 24th, 2009, 12:12 am
will download
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:32 am
Hi Mal! So these are the maps you were talkin about. You missed the game with Adam and I.
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:35 am
Okay, I need a map that gives the "Monkey in the middle" idea, where there is a player trapped in the middle of everything. That is where you can really test your 1337 5K1||5!
posted on June 24th, 2009, 2:38 am
Good job mate  :thumbsup:
Hopefully we'll have some games shortly... heck, hopefully I'll have some games shortly  :lol:

After/perhaps during tomorrow I'll have some quality time for the maps  B)
posted on July 2nd, 2009, 6:22 pm
Ok, since I've played Blockade in a 2v1, I must say there are some... inconveniences. Although I understand it is designed for a build up type play, it is really painful to go through. Nobody wants to lose their first 2 ships, so people are stuck building up bigger fleets. If the weapon ranges of the turrets didn't overlap quite so much, it might allow earlier attacks... I don't know.

There were also a crud load of moons.... as the "1" side, I found myself with an enormous glut of resources 5-10 minutes into the game and I eventually build 4 yards with constant production ... which only ran out or resources (thanks due to supplies) after 30 or so minutes  :lol:

Not sure if those are so much problems as just overall things to expect with maps designed to prevent rushing for a 2v1 though. Since you know I am more of the aggressive type of player, I am biased, and thus a better person to get an opinion from would be someone who likes the long build-ups probably  :D
posted on July 2nd, 2009, 9:46 pm
Yeah, I've been learning a lot by designing these maps.  In a newer version we'll find out that the Ferengi merchant who sold you the turrets used a holo-generator to only make them look like Klingon turrets! :sweatdrop:  In fact, they're wimpy Helev turrets!  In the next update the holo generators will be taken out. ^-^  I've come up with maps that should be a lot better, and shouldn't require any extra gimmicks to be workable.
posted on July 8th, 2009, 5:12 am
Ok Mal, you've inspired me to do my own 1vs2 map. Here it is. If you play as the 1 player team on this map I think you'll find a very pleasant advantage when starting up.  :lol:

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Full Circle.txt
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]