Facist's Maps

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
1, 2
posted on February 4th, 2011, 3:38 am
ok this is my first attempt at a competative map

Its called Planetary Destruction,and is for 1v1 matches
i hope its as balanced as i think it is  :lol:
erm anyways enjoy and any critisism and or praise is welcome :thumbsup:

here it is.....

Attachments

Planetary Destruction.rar
(58.46 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

posted on February 4th, 2011, 3:45 am
Hey this looks pretty good! 

Just from looking at it right from the beginning, the tri looks a bit sparse simply because effective harassment of the main tri moon will cause serious problems.  I think maybe if the tri moon was not directly in the middle of the map we'd see soem awesome back n' forth!

In the next few days I'll find someone to play around with me on this map and I'll give you my basic thoughts on the few things I assume would be an issue.  From just looking at the mini I'm guessing these two things only:

1.  Size (it looks a bit small ^-^)
2.  Tri-lock (since the tri moons are harder I see tri-lock happening)

Otherwise this map looks to me off-hand to be an excellent multiplayer 1v1!  With a little bit of work I think it'll be a standard :D
posted on February 4th, 2011, 3:51 am
kk that makes sense  :thumbsup:
ill have a mess around with it and see what i can do
cheers Boggz
posted on February 4th, 2011, 5:03 am
Last edited by Facist on February 4th, 2011, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ok Planetary Destruction is now larger 14k by 14k
the 2 tri moons moved away from center
and sorted some wierd blocking

hmm i think i missed ur point Boggz  :lol: i now think u ment the main tri moon??

Attachments

Planetary Destruction.rar
(55.61 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
posted on February 4th, 2011, 5:13 am
No I meant the tri-expansions.  They are now no closer to the main base they are in fact farther away.  The point is to make them slightly closer to the main so that a tri expansion is no impossible.

Move the tri-expansion slightly closer to the main.
posted on February 4th, 2011, 8:04 am
Looking at it again, put the tri moon just above/below the little ice asteroid cluster above/below the main moons and make those asteroids just a small blocking trigger.  That will ensure easy access to the exp tri moon but also easy harassment of it :badgrin:
posted on February 4th, 2011, 8:31 am
It might be a good idea to name the map files "Planetary Destruction V0_1 or something while you're balancing it, since you go through so many versions.  Although you can't use periods in the name.

Boggz mentioned in passing that it looks small from the minimap, however this is not actually the case.  Make it 10k by 10k again, that's the perfect size for corner-to-corner maps.  Maybe even 9k by 9k.

Once you've resized it, you may need to tweak the area around the sun a bit.  I recommend making the ring a bit further from the planet so there's more room to maneuver and making it a bit clearer where the ring is solid and where there are gaps.  Then if you want, you can try placing damage nebulas just inside the sun.  They don't have to be far enough out to actually damage ships, but they will cause the ship AI to "elastically" avoid touching the surface, which is more realistic than having ships bump sharply against it.

Then just fine-tune the moons a bit: it should be relatively easy for both players to claim 4 moons, this balances the game because some races need their expansions more than others.  You can keep the Dilithium in a forward position, but either move the Tri moon closer to the Di or away from the star, closer to the main bases.

Finally, you've got some wonderfully blended asteroid fields, but they make it difficult to tell where the actual blocking triggers are.  I suggest putting small damage nebulas or perhaps planetoids directly on the blocking triggers because these have clear boundaries that players can see with just a glance.  If you're careful, you can make it obvious to the players where they can and cannot go, without losing the feeling that they're flying around inside a vast asteroid field.

Hopefully these tips point you in the right direction.  I look forward to seeing the final version enter circulation.
posted on February 4th, 2011, 8:42 am
Well said, Tryptic ^-^.

Yep I think this map as a corner to corner would be best as a 10k x 10k to 12k x 12k.  Any bigger for a corner to corner map and it'll be a bit too big :D.

Way to go though!  I look forward to playing this map online!  Just make sure that the dilithium and tritanium expansion are about equally accessible so as not to prohibit certain strategies over others.
posted on February 4th, 2011, 10:36 am
while im here how do i change the name ie add a version number without my game throwing a hissy fit and not recognizing the files?
posted on February 4th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Good question :D.

1.  Change the name of the map to whatever version you'd like in the CTL+R menu under 'title'.
2.  When you save manually make sure you change the filename to 'mapname1_1.bzn' or something like that.  Underscores work well.  DO NOT do 'mapname1.1.bzn' or the game will recognize the filetype as a '.1.bzn' file which does nothing :D.
posted on February 4th, 2011, 6:56 pm
Yeah, when you're in the save dialog, you just change the file name.  After that you'll want to leave and open the editor again because until you do, it'll default the savename to the old one when you save again.  I usually don't change the map name at all when I'm testing.
posted on February 6th, 2011, 11:46 pm
right ive moved the tri moons closer to main base
tweaked the central asteroids
and added nebulas to certain asteroid belts

i hope this is an improvement :D

Attachments

My Documents.rar
(66.48 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

posted on February 7th, 2011, 3:30 pm
hmm no interest anymore  :crybaby:
posted on February 7th, 2011, 4:19 pm
lol dont be disheartened if posts go a few hours unanswered.

There arent that many people on this forum and those who are can easily go a day without having time to logon. Especially since ur post was made at night (where i live) and its currently still the working day.
posted on February 7th, 2011, 4:22 pm
lol im very impatient :D

and it was early hours of the morning when i posted (im in UK)

plus at the moment i cant get on flops so i bored senseless >:(
1, 2