Black Hole (3.1.2)

Share your Fleet Operations maps here and share them with other users.
1, 2
posted on May 13th, 2010, 3:12 pm
Players: 4
Dimentions: 9000 x 9000
Version: 3.1.2

A 4 player map that is cented around a black hole. You start with 2 moons each, with 4 additional moons around the black hole itself. An Engine overloads heaven.

Requirement: Map Object Pack

Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Black Hole 1.0 (3.1.2).zip
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
posted on May 13th, 2010, 3:40 pm
i was just thinking, who in their right mind would want to fight over a gravitational, time dilated and light sucking hoover like a blackhole, any ship would be pulled into it or end up tearing itself apart, not even suns or planets can plug the hole :whistling:
posted on May 13th, 2010, 3:43 pm
Borg and Dominion have no self-preservation instinct, Klingons wouldn't care one bit what's there as long as they can fight, while Starfleet and the Romulans aren't afraid to die through explosions, explosive decompression and glass through the neck. Being around a Black hole wouldn't be much of a problem.

As long as the engines work, you're safe.
posted on May 13th, 2010, 3:50 pm
:lol:. i hope your map proves to be as interesting as you say it will be
posted on May 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
so if engines get disabled on this map you will be sucked in to your death? wow engine overload just got a whole lot more interesting, as did is bomb and kvort vets, 2 intercept dode, polaron torps, polaron field, collision, alternate armament, and im sure there is other stuff that will kill engines.

what if engines are weakened by graviton marker?
posted on May 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm
even conventional weapons can destroy engines, but the ship in question thats lost it's engines would have to remain alive to witness it's impending doom, but this would give the borg a permanent advantage because their engines can be easily repaired like any system, the rest take forever to repair their systems. by the time the fighting stops, the borg are probably gonna be the likely victors unless the others have repair ships or buffs with enhanced repair boosts. the feds though only have 3 repair ships that you can use for some reason.
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:09 pm
myleswolfers wrote:so if engines get disabled on this map you will be sucked in to your death? wow engine overload just got a whole lot more interesting, as did is bomb and kvort vets, 2 intercept dode, polaron torps, polaron field, collision, alternate armament, and im sure there is other stuff that will kill engines.

what if engines are weakened by graviton marker?

If engines get disabled in range of the BH, you'll die. You should be safe in your base, depending on what the blackhole radius is set to. Unless the Holding beam is what disables you, naturally.

I assume the blackhole only affects things with disabled engines rather than reduced speed, because I tested it as the Klingons and didn't see any marked ships get dragged to their death.

Canny wrote:even conventional weapons can destroy engines, but the ship in question thats lost it's engines would have to remain alive to witness it's impending doom, but this would give the borg a permanent advantage because their engines can be easily repaired like any system, the rest take forever to repair their systems. by the time the fighting stops, the borg are probably gonna be the likely victors unless the others have repair ships or buffs with enhanced repair boosts. the feds though only have 3 repair ships that you can use for some reason.

Directly targeting ships with engine killers helps. Can't disable engines if you don't live long enough. Using the black hole still won't make a sure win, because you still have turrets and Starbases to deal with.
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:15 pm
so the black hole's influence doesnt extend to the whole map? cos the map is very black, i was assuming everything was in range lol. but that would prevent base building lol, if the black hole blocked like in vanilla a2
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:16 pm
starbases and turrets are the least of the problems when you cant respond to an overwhelming borg cube invasion.  when that day comes, when ever it will be, is not an impossibility like anything.

for now i remain intrigued but concerned, if the bh uses the same settings from stock A2, then it will take a little while for the disabled ship to be destroyed assuming its within range. i hope you have a few more maps that are just as exciting as this one :thumbsup:
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:17 pm
imagine your surprise when your shiny borg cube falls to its destruction at near 100% health after being hit with an engine disabler.

EDIT: that could be a strategy for this map against borg, use repeated engine disablers to kill their big ships. spam bugs and use repeated collision
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:19 pm
Canny wrote:for now i remain intrigued but concerned, if the bh uses the same settings from stock A2, then it will take a little while for the disabled ship to be destroyed assuming its within range. i hope you have a few more maps that are just as exciting as this one :thumbsup:

Unless the black hole range was modified, the gravity should not extend much further than long range. If it is the FahreS black hole, then a little over artillery range. :)
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:22 pm
:lol: it does after all have the same effect on all ships.

then in that case it  covers the 4 inner moons if im not mistaken. now there is a can of worms for you!
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:27 pm
disable miners and watch them plummet haha
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:29 pm
Try it after a 10 minute ceasefire. You get a big free-for-all, since every AI goes straight to the centre.
posted on May 13th, 2010, 4:45 pm
Any chance we can get explicit confirmation that the Black Hole scripts work in FO? I tried flying into a Black Hole but nothing happened. I remember in A2, if you flew into one, then it'd kill you, even if your engines were ok...
1, 2