Pronunciation guide

guide.fleetops.net
1, 2
posted on July 28th, 2011, 4:57 pm
Could the guide include a page on how Klingon and Romulan shipnames are supposed to be pronounced?
posted on July 28th, 2011, 5:01 pm
And maybe every other ship?

I went around calling it the "moonsoon" for years
posted on July 28th, 2011, 5:13 pm
i think a lot of this would be difficult, as which pronounciation do we go with?

take teutoburg, for example, the devs are all german and have their own way of saying it, which doesnt really roll off the tongue for english speakers. a lot of the names in fleetops are like that.

if we just go with the devs pronounciation for everything, then we end up with english speakers having twisted tongues. and if we go with english pronounciations, we have to pick a person to say it, or have some sort of english attempt at german pronounciation.
posted on July 28th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Is that about the Starfleet names or the alien ones too?
posted on July 28th, 2011, 5:54 pm
Tyler wrote:Is that about the Starfleet names or the alien ones too?

mostly the non starfleet. the starfleet ones tend to be either canon (and easy to pronounce) or easy for english people to pronounce.

teutoburg is the main starfleet weird name. of the others, most are english/loaned to english words (sabre, monsoon, intrepid, nova, canaveral, akira, norway, excelsiors, galaxy, ambas, centaur, rhode island, nebula, steamrunner, descent, avalon, sov, phalanx) the remore is probably the wierdest, but isnt hard. mayson is probably pronounced how you think it is, the only sticking point was risner, which the devs gave us their approximate pronounciation for.
posted on July 28th, 2011, 6:44 pm
I think that we should continue to butcher the names!!!! 

Yay for butchering!
posted on July 28th, 2011, 6:46 pm
ray320 wrote:I think that we should continue to butcher the names!!!! 

Yay for butchering!

yeah, moonsoons, and rains.
posted on July 28th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Tutoburg...?  :lol:
posted on July 28th, 2011, 8:58 pm
The Teutoburg is in fact a German name, yep. As its an historic place, i'm sure there is an english pronounciation for it. The other names should all use english pronounciation
posted on July 28th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Speaking of the spammer, is it named after the Teutoburg Forest or the battle that happened there?
posted on July 28th, 2011, 9:08 pm
Optec wrote:The Teutoburg is in fact a German name, yep. As its an historic place, i'm sure there is an english pronounciation for it. The other names should all use english pronounciation

yeah i remember studying that in history, every country has battles they are proud of, we have trafalgar/agincourt, you guys have teutorburg.

we usually pronounce eu as oo, the o like an a, and the burg like the start of burger.

isnt the german version teutoburger (wald)? i guess since star trek is all in english you chose the english word for it.

@tyler: probably both, i mean i think the forest is mainly famous for the battle.
posted on July 28th, 2011, 9:23 pm
I can probably create a rough guide for pronouncing - I'd prefer just to do sound bites though, if that's ok :)
posted on July 28th, 2011, 9:37 pm
i have never heard of the teutoburg (battle) before we used that name in fleet operations...so... :D
posted on July 28th, 2011, 10:01 pm
:lol:
posted on July 28th, 2011, 10:26 pm
Its named after a battle were tribes, which were hostile usually, united to defeat an invading empire. In the context of the Teutoburg Class that should be fine. The battle is not very known in Germany and the germanic tribes don't have much in common with the political structures that should later on become Germany in history, so its not even "our battle" :) Its far too old, more along the lines of names like "Odyssey"
1, 2