Printer Friendly Version

guide.fleetops.net
posted on May 20th, 2010, 1:52 am
I've been thinking with how important counters are, and how you can't always switch to the guide while in game when you're having problems.  I think for some people, it would be easier if there was a printer friendly version for some things in the guide.  The main thing would be the counters for each ship.  That way while you're playing, you can look at your freshly inked "cheat sheet", and make some better choices.  Maybe there could be a section of the guide for printer friendly stuff that's in the form of a pdf, then you can just print it from there, and also save those pages to your PC and use your dual monitor setup to play the game and look..... ah, who am I kidding.  I don't have dual monitors. :(  But maybe someone does!  ^-^

Anyway, I think it's a good idea and shouldn't be too difficult to do, as it's mainly copy/paste.
posted on May 20th, 2010, 1:59 am
Ah, yup, a pdf compiler is on the todo list (jeez, sounds like Optec and Doca now  :whistling: ): however, by setting your printer options up to remove pictures you can get it to print everything sans the annoying colors and all that for now :). I can definitely setup a page with all the counters though - I'll just complete those tables first...  :whistling:
posted on May 20th, 2010, 3:12 am
I've already explained this to you over messenger, but just to clarify my idea to others:  The printer friendly versions would be no more than a page, or two at the most.  That way, you can quickly glance at the counters while you're playing if you need help and only have a few seconds.  It would basically be a condensed version, with only the most crucial information available at a glance.
posted on May 20th, 2010, 2:29 pm
Mal wrote:I've already explained this to you over messenger, but just to clarify my idea to others:  The printer friendly versions would be no more than a page, or two at the most.  That way, you can quickly glance at the counters while you're playing if you need help and only have a few seconds.  It would basically be a condensed version, with only the most crucial information available at a glance.

Why limit the pages, I would spend the money on a 55 page walk-through in order to get the guarantee that I can depend on it. :) As long as it is quality work, I'm good.
posted on May 20th, 2010, 3:10 pm
the idea was for in game lol, a quick reference not a 55 page novel.
posted on May 24th, 2010, 3:13 pm
Well, I tried to compile it into a word document, and at 12 point font, the smallest it's going to be is 7 pages... I can try some smaller fonts or something  :blush:
posted on May 24th, 2010, 8:12 pm
What about just the counters table?  Perhaps without the unit descriptions?  I was just thinking something that's stripped of everything except for quick glance information.
posted on May 24th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Yeah, that's unfortunately what I meant  :sweatdrop: . Just putting the counter tables one after another results in 7 pages of tables in 12 pt font. I'll dump it down to 10 pt and see how that works - sadly freecp.net is down...  :crybaby: