[Permission Request] - Setup Temporary/Unofficial FO Wiki

guide.fleetops.net
1, 2
posted on October 24th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Forgive me if I should have asked for this using the PM system.  I would like permission to set up a temporary/unofficial FO wiki.  Primarily just to see if one could work as a quick reference.
posted on October 24th, 2011, 5:53 pm
of course, feel free to do that.
please just make sure it is obvious that it is unofficial :)
posted on October 24th, 2011, 6:32 pm
DOCa Cola wrote:please just make sure it is obvious that it is unofficial :)

That I will do!  Thanks!
posted on October 24th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on October 24th, 2011, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Setting up the unofficial wiki at this URL:

http://96.249.243.155/fleetopswiki/

EDIT:
Has quite the amount of work.
posted on October 24th, 2011, 7:07 pm
Ah you'll get the hang of it. I did a wiki hosted on my pc for a ship database for Babylon 5 Wars (tabletop game), works like a dream once you get into the routine.
posted on October 24th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Want to help me out then?  I am looking through the various wiki-editing guides and boy is there a lot of information!
posted on October 24th, 2011, 8:37 pm
Yeah of course. I used pmwiki, not mediawiki, but it's pretty similar in setup.

So what's the best way of talking directly? PM?
posted on October 24th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on October 24th, 2011, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantis wrote:Yeah of course. I used pmwiki, not mediawiki, but it's pretty similar in setup.

pmwiki?  I found mediawiki in a Google search for a wiki-like CMS and it was the first thing on the list, so I got it.

Atlantis wrote:So what's the best way of talking directly? PM?

Maybe TeamSpeak, but using the text chat feature.  I'll have my sound and mic muted.

EDIT:
It may be better to use the PM feature sometimes.  We could either-or depending on whether or not we're online at the same time.
posted on October 24th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Well, I'm starting to get the hang of how to use a wiki-style site.  I have made a few pages that you might want to look into.
posted on November 21st, 2011, 1:58 pm
I think I can safely call this wiki a failure.  It will be removed December 1st if it doesn't get significant number of new pages.
posted on November 27th, 2011, 12:48 pm
Why is it a failure? Looks like you are just getting started, don't give up now :)
posted on November 27th, 2011, 1:29 pm
Looks quite interesting :woot: . Will be better with more content so keep going, the only thing that can stop you is yourself :)
posted on November 28th, 2011, 11:17 pm
Last edited by Anonymous on November 28th, 2011, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The idea behind the wiki was for Fleet Ops users to contribute to make an encyclopedia for the community.  But so far, no one has been doing that and I cannot and will not do it by myself, it's supposed to be a community project.

EDIT:
January 1, 2012 is the final deadline.  If a significant amount of content isn't added by various members of the community by then, it will be removed.
posted on November 29th, 2011, 11:13 am
Last edited by the keeper on November 29th, 2011, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey, i think why many don't contribute is because:
First you need to know its there, as it apears to me the only link is from this topic?
Second there is not much in it to make people remember the link, if people have reason to go there, like look up stategy or something then they might think of aditional things.

maybe if you look through this forum and collect all the strategy topics (and ask the topic  starter if you may use it) and get those topics together in per race strategy pages with teh apropriate sources added on bottem of the page, then you have a nice colection of strategies which people feel worth it to add to and or adjust.

the same with maps, just make the list of standard added maps to fleet operations with a minimap and where posible extra info on it or nice litle teasers. also start making a list based on player made maps with links to the topic or site where the maps are at.
If you ask to make a topic in the map exchange forum with a list of all playermaps in that forum with a link to you site where a minimap is visible for every map (since there is an atachement limit to post in one mesage in a thread you can't add all the minimaps). this would cause people looking for nice new maps being linked to your site, then back to this forum or whereever for downloading the actual bzn files. this forum would not lose visitors because most maps are located here, and you would gain every visitor of this forum that would like to see all player made maps. and the visitors of this forum will have more easy access to what player made maps are available. so here you would have a win win win scenario just for the maps part of your wiki.

and if you think its to much work then you can ask someone else if they would like to collect the maps information or strategy information.

but in my opinion by stating a deadline when the site might go ofline you make the site dead yourself because now people might think oh it might not stay so why waste the time to add to it.

i hope this post was helpfull and not to long lol

ps: i might be willing to collect some map information on the condition the data won't get lost (as in stopping this projects within 1 year and after that informing me so i can at least copy my work) and that you will get some other stuff on there as well, by your self or help from others
posted on November 29th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Also I don't see how to add to it? You didn't indicate that you wanted other people to contribute, I was under the impression you were going to make it yourself.
If you want people to contribute, make it easy for us and tell us how etc, and don't give us deadlines.
It's also not very compelling to contribute to a wiki with very little on it, if you make a good start on it, others will follow :)
1, 2