Current Project Status

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91
posted on September 3rd, 2021, 12:07 pm
I was listening to some music today and part of it sounded like some of the Federation OST, and that reminded me of this game.

These days I'm a programmer, and I'm really curious... what exactly causes the OOS problems? Does each client run its own version of the game world and rely on actions in the other copies being precisely transmitted to every other client, in the right order? Given how old the game is I'm assuming the design would have been focused on minimising bandwidth.
posted on September 8th, 2021, 12:18 pm
Yes, even modern RTS games still work on the same principle. Each client runs it's own simulation of the game state. Only player actions are transferred. If the simulation doesn't match, the game states diverge. Using this method also has the advantage that RTS games are mostly immune to most cheats that directly influence the game state (like modified health of units or giving yourself more resources), since they would just break the game state. However there are many ways to introduce inconsistencies into a client's simulation when coding a game (uninitialized memory, using non deterministic float functions, ..). Armada had several issues with synchronisation build in. Some were quite rare and some were pretty consistent when doing modding. Most of them were fixed with FO. We also introduced some sync issues with our own code, which was sooner or later fixed. The official FO release should be relatively stable in that regard.

We did a lot of changes in the planned 4.0 and there was a nasty out of sync issue that was pretty inconsistent we just could not track down for months. I did never figure out if it was an issue with our code or something that was coming from Armada features we began using at that point. However it was only one of several reasons why we then decided to stop our work on Armada 2.
posted on September 10th, 2021, 7:37 pm
First and Foremost, Thank you Doc. This team added so much life to something we all loved. Not many remember me but i was a modder back before the armada 2 files fiasco. This total conversion of armada 2 went above and beyond anything any of us could have asked for. With life getting in the way of our past times there is only so much that we can all contribute to what we love. I would to thank all of the fleet ops team for continuing as much as they did. Someone close to me has really enjoyed playing this game, even from the initial release. This person was injured in 2004 and loss the use of everything but his arms. We have spent thousands of hours playing fleet ops and still have it and installed. For that i am eternally grateful. You helped me support this person to get away from the world that has restricted them and that is a debt i could never repay. This will be my last sign on. Thank you everyone. This was one of the best communities i had the privilege to be apart of.
posted on September 11th, 2021, 9:40 am
Hi, lately I just drop by to read.

DocaCola wrote: "However it was only one of several reasons why we then decided to stop our work on Armada 2“

Out off curiosity 2 questions: Does the work with the new game engine continue? How far has the work advanced?

I saw a screen shot at the ezEngine website. It looks quite promising.
posted on December 27th, 2021, 11:01 pm
I would love to see a FO 4.0 release, or at least a 3.2.7 installer that works with the GOG client
posted on January 2nd, 2022, 8:28 pm
DOCa Cola wrote:Yes, even modern RTS games still work on the same principle. Each client runs it's own simulation of the game state. Only player actions are transferred. If the simulation doesn't match, the game states diverge. Using this method also has the advantage that RTS games are mostly immune to most cheats that directly influence the game state (like modified health of units or giving yourself more resources), since they would just break the game state. However there are many ways to introduce inconsistencies into a client's simulation when coding a game (uninitialized memory, using non deterministic float functions, ..). Armada had several issues with synchronisation build in. Some were quite rare and some were pretty consistent when doing modding. Most of them were fixed with FO. We also introduced some sync issues with our own code, which was sooner or later fixed. The official FO release should be relatively stable in that regard.

We did a lot of changes in the planned 4.0 and there was a nasty out of sync issue that was pretty inconsistent we just could not track down for months. I did never figure out if it was an issue with our code or something that was coming from Armada features we began using at that point. However it was only one of several reasons why we then decided to stop our work on Armada 2.

Hi DOCa Cola, I logged in again for the first time in 10 years to say thank you and to your team for what you've done with FleetOps, I spent so many hours as a kid with my brother playing this mod over LAN into the night, we had so much fun with it... you really nailed it, the atmosphere, the design, the gameplay… everything was perfect, still is.
FleetOps was the main reason why I choose to go and study Computer Science, back in 2013, I wanted to do what you guys have done (btw I'm currently working on a Bridge Commander styled game for mobile, you can check it here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kfireven.finalfrontier, it's still very initial and amateurish :) )... but again, thank you for the inspiration and for the good memories, it's good to see that this community still lives.
posted on January 8th, 2022, 7:42 am
Still drop by every now and then hoping for some news.
posted on January 8th, 2022, 5:48 pm
eraldo20 wrote:Still drop by every now and then hoping for some news.

me too :) love the mod
posted on August 13th, 2022, 8:28 am
Hey there FleetOps, just checking in as I tend to do every few months or so. (Ok, I don't post every time I check these forums, half the time I cant remember my password)

First off, wanted to agree with the last few posts, this is an excellent mod. I played quite a few after discovering A2 back in the day. None compared to the thought out nature, or filled the definition of "Total Conversion" better than this one. Even the Star Wars Fleet Command mod changed less than fleetops, and was less enjoyable to play. Not to mention the beautiful visual effects of FO, even in V1 and 2.

But Doca, ... Its been nearly a year since your last post, or post from any of your team for that matter (that Ive found anyways). And well over 7 years since your last news post. Are you guys all doing ok? Is the team still together?

I'm not asking for any kind of ETA on the game or anything. But once a year or so, just something for your fans saying your still around, not much progress has been made, or a ton of boring stuff has been done, or whatever the truth of the matter is, would be nice to hear. We also would like to know you and your team haven't fallen victim to an economic collapse, riot, pandemic, alien invasion, sharknado or zombie apocalypse.

There are other from scratch games I have been following for a decade or so now as well. I, and most of us who frequent this forum are very aware that game development from scratch takes a lot of man hours, and when you don't have Blizzard or EAs army of full time people, that means it takes a lot of time. Check out City of Titans, or Ship of Heroes for examples. We here all appreciate what you guys have done, and would like to hear from you even if you have little to say.

Thank You Kindly
a fan
posted on August 13th, 2022, 8:43 am
Forgot to mention something off topic from above.

I do have a specific question about both the current version of FleetOps downloadable from here, and the NX version which may potentially be still coming.

I would assume, that both would be, at least with some work, compatible with windows 11. Please correct me if I am wrong. I plan to be building a new PC within the next 24 months.

But I am planning to soon be getting another PC (Ish) gaming system which boasts it will run many pieces of windows software with an OS that includes portions of WINE, along with other translator and emulation softwares. I and am wondering just how difficult it will be to get Armada, and in turn FleetOps to run, ... on the new Steam Deck. I have already seen a couple youtube videos of people who got starcraft to run, which I know is based on an even older version of the same basic platform A1 was built on, and presumably A2 as well. It has been a few years since I got into any of the ODF and other text files, but I seem to remember the word Battlenet even showing up from time to time.

I am also curious if any thought has been given to multiple platform support for things like this on NX as well.

Thanks again.
posted on August 13th, 2022, 6:17 pm
My understanding is that the hardest gate to getting A2 to run is DirectPlay, which is ancient at this point. If a platform can support DirectPlay, it can almost certainly run A2/Fleet Ops. But that's the trick...running it properly is getting rarer over time.
posted on August 16th, 2022, 2:31 am
voyager2001dl wrote:But Doca, ... Its been nearly a year since your last post, or post from any of your team for that matter (that Ive found anyways). And well over 7 years since your last news post. Are you guys all doing ok? Is the team still together?

Yes, we are still around and the work on NX is still ongoing with steady progress.

NX is currently planned for Windows only. This is just down to setting priorities for the (human) resources we have.
posted on August 20th, 2022, 8:36 pm
Thank you Doca for that, surprisingly quick, response.

Good to know you guys are still here. Please know that this community you attracted and built is still around also.

And I will look into that Direct Play issue with valve's support. When I get a steam deck that is. They are suffering severe supply shortages this last year or so, like almost everybody. (Thanks Tryptic for the tip). Even if it doesnt work, the deck has an option to install windows as well. Though I believe its windows 11 it is supposed to support best.

If I learn anything, I may post it here as well, especially if anyone here expresses interest.

Happy Gaming.

P.S. I was referring to 3.27 with the gettting it to run on deck. To be honest I presume the deck will be quite obsolete by the time NX is ready for public view. Still waiting though.
posted on May 4th, 2023, 1:00 am
I remembered this site after many many years and to see something entirely new was/is in the works. Makes me very happy. Like a little wholesome moment of the past.
posted on May 4th, 2023, 9:33 pm
dirtzdan wrote:I remembered this site after many many years and to see something entirely new was/is in the works. Makes me very happy. Like a little wholesome moment of the past.

I wouldn't hold my breath. This project has been in "we're working on it" mode for years now.
1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91