Typhon class carrier for feds

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
1, 2, 3
posted on June 29th, 2012, 10:26 am
Nutter wrote:And let's be honest. Who mourns a redshirt? :P

ha!

but the point about sending warships to peace conferences just isnt the done thing for someone peaceful like the feds. the klingons would do it to show their power but not feds.

just look how picard reacted to the scimitar when it decloaked despite the fact it was supposedly greeting them in Nemesis for instance.
posted on June 29th, 2012, 12:03 pm
I thought his reaction was more along the lines of "That thing shouldn't be fucking possible."
Of course, it's been a while since I watched it.
posted on June 29th, 2012, 12:37 pm
Gunboat Diplomacy seems to be the norm for Starfleet, they just use it to dissuade hostiles from interfering rather than scaring the people they're talking to. Comes in handy for mediating disputes.

They normally send Galaxy, Sovereign or (at least once) Defiant Class on diplomacy missions; all the most advanced and heavily armed battleships of their era.

Nutter wrote:I thought his reaction was more along the lines of "That thing shouldn't be fucking possible."
Of course, it's been a while since I watched it.

Always gave me a very different impression.
posted on June 29th, 2012, 1:57 pm
I thought that was rather obvious.
Especially when Worf started listing all its toys.
posted on June 29th, 2012, 4:14 pm
I don't think that his reaction is as much for the ship (he's stared into the abyss that is the Borg), as for the revelation that, whatever they're here for, peace is probably not on the agenda.
posted on July 2nd, 2012, 6:00 am
You also has to remember when the TOS was Shot Special effects were not very good and costs for special effects were very high. Physcal models had to be built, rigged and blown up and composited(layered) to the film shot . So they were not not seen as a matter of cost. However the"Line Officer Requirements" Volume #1 (Copyrighted1987 D Smidt is the arthor) this manual clearly has Carriers in them . Carriers were based off the Miranda/Knox and Avenger class space frame frames . Also the Pub "Starship Design XXXIV Number one" mentions carriers in a article on page 1002 . I have other Startrek reference files on a old computer that has carriers on them. Cost for the "Eye candy" on all of the series was a major factor for a lot of reused stock footage .Since the use /reuse of it reduced production costs a lot. In the realm of SFC a Carrier Space frame I feel would be a nessary ship. But the costs would require a refit of a "older frame " since a Dedicated carrier craft would be a major drain of funds for a totally new space frame just to sit 99.9 % of the time .
posted on July 2nd, 2012, 8:00 pm
The problem is that these manuals aren't considered canon.
posted on July 2nd, 2012, 10:24 pm
Last edited by MadHatter on July 3rd, 2012, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have to agree that the sources Pappy lists are a little too far off the beaten track for me.

What I usually follow are

1. Primary sources -- what has been seen on-screen
  2. Secondary sources -- I have two varieties of these:
    1. Statements by production crew -- I give these quite a bit of weight due to the individual's relationship to the show
    2. Sources of information that was directly derived from a primary source -- examples are Memory Alpha and many of the ship articles on Ex Astris Scientia
  3. Tertiary sources -- officially produced technical manuals and similar information

I'll also try and extrapolate logically from what has been seen, perhaps drawing parallels with similar situations in history.

Edit: Fixed the lists.
posted on July 2nd, 2012, 10:42 pm
Usually Memory Alpha is considered the golden standard. Everything in there is canon.
posted on July 2nd, 2012, 11:15 pm
Most of MA is hard canon, though the pages also have a section for official background sources to cover all viable bases. If it was all canon, then the Akira, Norway and most other named ship classes would be unnamed.
posted on July 3rd, 2012, 1:24 pm
Hard canon is series/movies and official releases.

Often there's confusion about what is an official release and what is not.
posted on July 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm
Confusion that can be strange at times, since usually on-screen is the only canon. Though it explains how the Valdore Class gets multiple names, like Norexan or Mogai.
posted on July 3rd, 2012, 3:38 pm
Hard canon is what has been seen on-screen. That's all. Even things like officially published tech manuals are, at best, soft-canon, as they can and have been contradicted by later film.
1, 2, 3