Species 8472?

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
posted on February 3rd, 2015, 11:24 pm
Why was species 8472 removed and are there any plans to put them back in the game?It was the one race that was actually completely different and for me personally the most fun one.
posted on February 3rd, 2015, 11:34 pm
i keep trying to get them back in and get 1 avatar in play but its deciding on the second one as not much is really known about them also due to the dodecahedron thing the cocoon animation thing is removed
posted on February 4th, 2015, 12:30 am
Hi Mesha,

To answer your questions, we felt that an extremely powerful faction like 8472 (or the Crystalline Entity, or the Scimitar, etc) was better suited as a non playable set of units. In a future version of Fleet Operations you will see those units flying around wreaking havoc, but not buildable by the player.
posted on February 4th, 2015, 4:18 pm
Hmm well as you talking of removed race is the any news on if the Cardassians will be put back in as the Dominion are there but the Cardassians has played a bigger part in star trek then what the Dominion has well hope ill get some news on this be nice to have them back.
posted on February 4th, 2015, 4:37 pm
As for 8472 and their different gameplay, while 8472 aren't in FlOps, there was at one point the Noxter, who were also space-dwelling organisms and had a gameplay style like 8472.

Unfortunately, additions to the plan (such as putting the Dominion in) meant that the "new" races (Noxter, Ciadans, Iconians) haven't yet materialised, and are very much on the back burner these days.

As for the Cardassians, NewBigNub, that question has been asked and answered dozens of times already. Have a search of the forum, you'll find what the plan is for them.
posted on February 4th, 2015, 6:00 pm
Although we originally intended to bring additional factions into being (e.g. Ciadan, Iconian), we changed our plans some time ago to focus on adding depth to each faction (rather than just adding a lot of cool looking ships that might play very similarly). That was more or less the reasoning behind why we started the big faction redoes a few years ago.

So, we will still have a version down the road with a playable Fed/Rom/Borg/Kling/Dom/Noxter, but Ciadan, Iconian, Cardassian and others will be our major interactable NPCs. We will also have numerous minor NPCs. You can expect to see a first playable release of NX with some of the major factions and some of the major and minor NPCs .
posted on February 5th, 2015, 5:15 am
Things such as Undine warships aren't available for construction by the player, but could these things be brought into the game by triggered events? Will these NPCs be triggered by attacking something or blasting some unique anomaly with an all powerful deflector?
posted on February 5th, 2015, 9:33 pm
Yea doing a new playable factions will take a lot of work and time and i like that you went down the road of adding depth to each faction that was a very good move if you ask me but as Cardassian was one of the mean race in star trek after the FED KDF ROM and maybe Borg i would like to see the Cardassian come back one day.
posted on February 6th, 2015, 12:37 pm
Dominus_Noctis wrote:Hi Mesha,

To answer your questions, we felt that an extremely powerful faction like 8472 (or the Crystalline Entity, or the Scimitar, etc) was better suited as a non playable set of units. In a future version of Fleet Operations you will see those units flying around wreaking havoc, but not buildable by the player.

I'm sad... 8472 is a unique species. Please rethink this :thumbsup:
posted on February 6th, 2015, 12:53 pm
I all so like 8472 but they did not play the biggest part in star trek so if there not in Fleet Ops i can live with it that being said it be nice see them down line one day. On a 2nd note i think the Scimitar should be in Fleet Ops as it's a roms ship so it really should be in the game and if it was as powerful as ""Dominus_Noctis"" say it was how did the sov beat it and don't say well it had to as the fed are the good boys in the film :D Add Scimitar it can be the Roms hero or command ship pls add :woot: :woot:
posted on February 6th, 2015, 1:36 pm
I personally didn't like how they made species 8472 in Armada II, as we hadn't seen the race much nearly everything was just made up and the whole spawn system for me didn't feel right. I get their ships were bionic but the were still manned by much smaller physical beings so I felt they would of had a crew and be built like any other ships. So them as an NPC that could randomly pop out of a fluidic gate sounds much more appealing.

As for the Scimitar, that really shouldn't be in fleetops as a romulan ship. It was not an official romulan ship, it was a reman ship some how made in secret and the only reason the Enterprise beat it was because of plot armor, bearing in my in kicked to romulans ships buts and the Enterprise and it decided at close range to use it special instead of just pop a cap in its arse at which point the defenseless and weaponless Enterprise decide the best solution is to ram it...

all plot convenience